8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2013 10:52 AM by VerySeriousPerson

Switching text in a finished InDesign file with the text from a Word document?

VerySeriousPerson

Hello,
      Since I have recently started working with InDesign, this question might sound quite silly. I have a finished InDesign file and what I have to do is replace the text in the given InDesign document with the text from a Word document. The text frames have to stay in the same places, the fonts can be the same etc., so I just wanted to know how to replace this text in the finished InDesign document without copy-pasting the text from the Word file in each text frame. Basically, I have a user guide for a device in one language, and I have to insert the translated text so that the user guide is in another language. Does it involve linking documents?

Yours faithfully,

VerySeriousPerson

• 1. Re: Switching text in a finished InDesign file with the text from a Word document?
          Ellis home Level 4

This is one way to do it. But you will have to format new document with paragraph styles.

1. Open existing ID document
          2. Save As and change name of the file (language to be translated to?)
          3. Insert cursor at the very beginning of the document
          4. CRLT/SHIFT/END  to select all text in the document (this is for Windows)
          5. Delete
          6. File/Place the file with the text you want. Make sure you press Shift while placing the file so the text flows to all the text frames.
          7. Format the document as desired

Step two is very important so you preserve the original file.

• 2. Re: Switching text in a finished InDesign file with the text from a Word document?
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            1. Open existing ID document
            2. Save As and change name of the file (language to be translated to?)
            3. Insert cursor at the very beginning of the document
            4. CRLT/SHIFT/END  to select all text in the document (this is for Windows)
            5. Delete
            6. File/Place the file with the text you want. Make sure you press Shift while placing the file so the text flows to all the text frames.
            7. Format the document as desired

Right^ assuming the text frames are all threaded, and bearing in mind that this^ is a somewhat simplistic overview of your situation.

Managing multiple-language versions of your document(s) isn't really something that can be "automated" in any all-inclusive way. I imagine resident expert Joel Cherney will be along at some point to pour over the potential nuances, but just to hit a few highlights: Different languages will occupy differing amounts of space within a text frame and on the page. Many puctuation, hyphenation, and alternate-glyph conventions differ across languages, and this makes setting foreign language type a much more comprehensive task than any dump-and-save notion might suggest.

There's more than one way to do pretty much anything, but I've done a fair bit of translated document work, and I actually prefer to make transfers in small, manageable chunks, as opposed to the full-flow scenario you seek. Saveing time in one part of the task invariably costs time elsewhere. Doing it right is much more important than doing it quickly or easily.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Switching text in a finished InDesign file with the text from a Word document?
              Ellis home Level 4

You are correct. I was just answering the user's simple question how to "switch text in a finished Indesign file with the text from a Word Document". Since he mentioned using the same font in the new document I thought it would be to a language that uses similar type (like say English-Spanish) than the original. Maybe if the user can provide more information regarding what language the new document will be, the answer can be expanded. It will certainly be very helpful to hear from Joel. It is always a learning experience!

• 4. Re: Switching text in a finished InDesign file with the text from a Word document?
                VerySeriousPerson Level 1

Thank you for the answers ^_^

Well, threading is a huge problem in this case, since I have been given, on purpouse, a un-threaded ID file with lots of other mistakes.

The files I will later be given mainly will be in English, German, French or Latvian (in this case the original is in English, and the translated text is in Latvian, Lithuanian and Estonian. Latvian and Lithuanian are quite similar, but Estonian is more like those languages spoken in Scandinavia). Although none of you speak Latvian, I guess they all use a similar type...

For some reason I failed miserably to select the whole text, is it because I'm using ID CS6 or I'm just such "genious"? By "Insert cursor at the very beginning of the document" you meant in the first text box? I'm sorry for such questions, although I read the starter guide, I guess I know nothing.

• 5. Re: Switching text in a finished InDesign file with the text from a Word document?
                  Ellis home Level 4

You insert the cursor at the begining of the first word in the first text box. Can you give a little more information regarding the formatting of the original document? Is it just paragraphs with titles/subtitles? Or does it have tables or graphics? The more information you give about your document, the better the forum can help you.

• 6. Re: Switching text in a finished InDesign file with the text from a Word document?

The original text includes paragraphs both with and without titles, it also contains tables and some images (which have been cut out of the original PDFfile with another Adobe program).

I guess I will have to do as you suggested, simply copy-paste smaller amounts of the translated text into the ID file. By the way, is there a guide that could help? I tried looking for it, but, since English isn't my first language I did not know what to really look for. Perhaps you have some suggestions?

• 7. Re: Switching text in a finished InDesign file with the text from a Word document?
                      Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are easy ways to accomplish what you're trying to do, but unfortunately you have to set up the InDesign document for easy translation before the translators start working in Word. There are other methods, of coures, but they require specialized translation-environment software. The whole point of such translation environments is to make it so that no one has to copy, switch apps, paste, switch apps, copy, switch apps, paste, switch apps, ad infinitum in order to flow a translation back into the source document.

In fact, I have an old and threadbare T-shirt that says "Human TRADOS" on the front and "Fastest ctrl-c, alt-tab, ctrl-v in the West" on the back.  I earned this shirt in a particularly nasty project many years ago, much like yours, where the failure to establish a good workflow before beginning the translation project led to a situation where I was in the very shoes you are now - with the exception that I already knew how to use InDesign fairly well. I also already knew the typographical conventions of my target languages.

I'm not sure what advice to give you, to be honest. You were intentionally given an un-threaded file? If so, then you won't be able to select all the text at once with the text tool. Look into Rorohiko's free TextStitch tool if threading all of the frames is actually going to help you out.

• 8. Re: Switching text in a finished InDesign file with the text from a Word document?

Yeah, this file was given to me to see if I've mastered ID (I haven't, obviously, and why was I given a file with so many mistakes? How can that possibly help me?). If only this company used those translation-enviroment softwares... Anyway, thanks for TextStitch, will give it a try.

Many, many thanks, guys, really appreciate your help ^_^