11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2013 5:21 AM by guy288 RSS

Cannot Rename in Bridge

guy288

Suddenly I cannot rename or even delete RAW files downloaded from the camera card.  I have checked and have the latest versions of Bridge and Photoshop CS6.  I am running Windows 7 in 64 bit.  I have no problem opening the files through ACR.  If I look in Windows>Computer and alter the files names manually even by a adding one letter, I can then do all the normal things in Bridge - Batch Rename, Delete etc.  This is a real pain as I can shoot several hundred images in a day and I don't want to change each one manually in Windows.  Can someone help please?

• 1. Re: Cannot Rename in Bridge
          Curt Y Community Member

Closely check the camera time and date and make sure it is the same as computer time and date.  If picture "in the future" Bridge does not like it.

• 2. Re: Cannot Rename in Bridge
            guy288 Community Member

Well the camera was two minutes ahead of the computer, but I put that right and still have the problem.

Guy Davies

My website: www.gdpix.co.uk

• 3. Re: Cannot Rename in Bridge
              Curt Y Community Member

If suddenly, meaning it worked yesterday, it did not work then I would reset preferences.  Hold down Ctrl key and start Bridge.  You will get a reset window with 3 options.

• 4. Re: Cannot Rename in Bridge
                guy288 Community Member

I have an update on the problem.  Everything is fine when I load files from my Nikon.  The problem occurs with files from the Panasonic Lumix GF1.  The last time I downloaded files from the Lumix was 13th October 2012.  It was fine then.

Guy Davies

My website: www.gdpix.co.uk

• 5. Re: Cannot Rename in Bridge
                  guy288 Community Member

I tried resetting preferences but still have the same problem.  As I said in my previous message, the problem is with files from the Lumix GF1.

• 6. Re: Cannot Rename in Bridge
                    Curt Y Community Member

Are you using a card reader?  They are more reliable than from the camera.  Try reading through different card readers if possible (in computer least realiable) and see it problem disappears.

• 7. Re: Cannot Rename in Bridge
                      guy288 Community Member

I always use a card reader.  The Lumix uses SDHC cards and I have tried two cards with the same result.  My Nikon uses CF cards and I have downloaded successfully through a different slot in the same card reader.  I don’t have a second card reader for SDHC cards.  However, I have now discovered another twist to the situation.

I download a file but cannot delete or rename in the same folder.  I can rename to a different folder but still cannot delete or rename in the same folder.  I go into Windows>Computer and rename by adding another letter to the file name.  Now I have full control of the file in Bridge.  HOWEVER, if I rename back to the original name in Bridge I am back to the beginning again.  I cannot delete or rename in the same folder.  It seems like it is the name that locks it.  This is not just the original file name from the camera, it also applies to the new name when Bridge has renamed it to another folder.

• 8. Re: Cannot Rename in Bridge
                        Curt Y Community Member

This sounds like a read/write permission issue.  Open up folder in Windows Explorer and right click on the file, look at Properties, and see what the permission levels are.

• 9. Re: Cannot Rename in Bridge
                          guy288 Community Member

I checked the properties and they are the same as any other files which are OK.  I am going to buy a new card reader to try that.  May take a few days but I’ll get back with the result.

• 10. Re: Cannot Rename in Bridge
                            Curt Y Community Member

You might try downloading direct from camera and see if that makes any difference. 

• 11. Re: Cannot Rename in Bridge
                              guy288 Community Member

I managed to get a new card reader today and it seems to have cured the problem.  Many thanks for your advice.