4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 11:52 PM by FieryPantone RSS

Cross-reference marker ID

FM-new-user Community Member

Hi everyone,

Has anyone worked with duplicate cross-reference markers before?

My question is, is the uique number in each marker text the same if multiple markers exist in the same location?

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Cross-reference marker ID
          Arnis Gubins ACP/MVPs

If you let FM create the markers, then every one will have a unique id number and multiple cross-refs to the same location will all automatically point to the same marker with the same id number. How did you get the dupes? FM won't let you copy & paste a marker, but it will let you cut & paste.

• 2. Re: Cross-reference marker ID
            FM-new-user Community Member

You are right, FM won't let you create multiple cross-reference markers at any lcoation, but some of our old scripts do, and my job is to find these markers and delete extra ones.

• 3. Re: Cross-reference marker ID
              Arnis Gubins ACP/MVPs

You can find the markers by either doing it in a brute force manner using the Find > Marker of type (and have the Marker window open to see the contents) or by using a MIF version and using a text editor to search for the MText right after a <MType 9> entry. The MText would be the duplicate and the Unique ID entry would be two lines further.

The general structure of a Marker in MIF is as in the following example:

<Marker

<MType 9>

<MTypeName `Cross-Ref'>

<MText `37042: Body: At vero eos et accusam et iusto odio blandit praes'>

<MCurrPage `1'>

<Unique 998385>

> # end of Marker

Cross-refs target the MText line using a <XRefSrcText ...> entry that is the same as the MText content.

• 4. Re: Cross-reference marker ID
                FieryPantone Community Member
                <MText `37042: Body: At vero eos et accusam et iusto odio blandit praes'>

Hey, no fair! I recognise that text: you've been looking inside my documents! <rofl>

N