11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2013 9:57 PM by Jim_Simon

Audio Drops Out Randomly

RickWall23

I'm having a problem where audio randomly drops out during playback of videos in the viewer.  I'll be watching a video clip, and then out of nowhere the audio will just stop.  Sometimes if I click stop and play again, the audio returns.  Sometimes the audio never comes back until I restart the program even if I change video clips.  I never have this problem when viewing sequences though.  It only happens when I'm previewing clips before adding them to my sequence so when it gets really bad I end up adding all the potential video clips to the sequence before trimming and arranging them just so I can hear the sound.

This consistently happens to me on my Macbook Pro and my Windows 8 PC both running the most up-to-date version of Premiere Pro CS6.  All of the video content I'm working with is in AVCHD format.  The Macbook is a 2008 pre-unibody model with OS 10.8, 4 GB RAM, a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz processor, and an NVidia 128 MB video card.  The PC is running Windows 8 with 16 GB RAM, a 2 GB video card, and an Intel I7 processor with 3.4 GHz.

• 1. Re: Audio Drops Out Randomly
          cvid01 Level 4

First things first: Are you ensuring that all the audio has been conformed before viewing the clips?

• 2. Re: Audio Drops Out Randomly
            RickWall23 Level 1

... I don't know what that means so that's a big resounding no.  Sorry.  I'm definitely a noob at this.

• 3. Re: Audio Drops Out Randomly
              cvid01 Level 4

In the Premiere Pro help file it states:

Conforming audio

Premiere Pro processes each audio channel, including audio channels in video clips, as 32-bit floating-point data at the sequence sample rate. This processing assures maximum editing performance and audio quality. Premiere Pro conforms certain types of audio to match the 32-bit format and the sequence sample rate. If conforming is required, it is done when a file is imported into a project for the first time. Conforming takes some time and disk space. A progress bar appears at the lower right of the Premiere Pro window when conforming begins. Premiere Pro saves conformed audio in CFA audio preview files. You can determine where to save these audio preview files by specifying a Scratch Disk location for Audio Previews in the Project Settings dialog box.

You can work with audio files, even applying effects to them, before they are fully conformed. However, you can preview only the parts of the files that have been conformed. You cannot hear unconformed sections on playback.

These rules determine which types of audio get conformed:

See: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS9FAF538A-BEE3-4925-B45A-DF8BE7F2A2E5.ht ml#WS00AF9E2E-9F99-4aff-8961-1E2F30E9ECCC

It doesn't hurt to look at the Prmiere Pro help files once in a while to learn various processes, etc.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Audio Drops Out Randomly
                RickWall23 Level 1

Hmmm... I don't see any kind of progress bar in the lower right of the window at any time so I'm not sure if that's my issue or not.  Does it mean the whole Premiere window or just the viewer window or something?

Any other possibilities?

• 5. Re: Audio Drops Out Randomly
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

In the lower right of the PP interface, you will see a yellow progress bar as clips get conformed immediately upon import.  Fir smaller clips, the bar may move pretty quickly.

• 6. Re: Audio Drops Out Randomly
                    RickWall23 Level 1

OK gotcha.  I saw the progress bar, and I 'm pretty sure my audio is all conformed.  I don't think that's the issue.  The clips I'm working with are 30-180 seconds, and even the longest ones seem to finish conforming in less than 5 seconds.

• 7. Re: Audio Drops Out Randomly
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

Is it only certain clips?

• 8. Re: Audio Drops Out Randomly
                        RickWall23 Level 1

Not that I can tell.  It appears to be completely random.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes after a few seconds it works fine, sometimes it doesn't work fine until I add the clip to my sequence or I restart the program.  All of the clips are the same file type recorded on the same camera with the same settings.  I originally just chalked it up to the Macbook because it seemed a little underpowered to be running Premiere, but now that I've started working on the new PC that theory is out the window.

It would probably be easier to diagnose the problem if I could figure out a pattern as to which clips would do it and which wouldn't, but alas it seems entirely unpredictable.

I may as well throw in that I'm using the software with a Creative Cloud subscription.  I don't see how that would make a difference, but just in case...

• 9. Re: Audio Drops Out Randomly
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

All of the clips are the same file type recorded on the same camera with the same settings.

Try different kinds of media, including some that are not MPEG based..  Report back what happens.

• 10. Re: Audio Drops Out Randomly
                            RickWall23 Level 1

I just went through a bunch WMV files and the same thing happened.  I also had it happen specifically after waiting to make sure the audio was conformed so that's definitely not the issue.

I did think of one part I left out.  About 90% of the time that it happens, the audio works fine at first, but then after I fastword by dragging the playback marker it stops.  It would seem to indicate that maybe it's still doing some type of loading.  Sometimes after this happens if I rewind back to the beginning of the clip, the audio plays.  Other times, after I rewind back to the beginning, it still doesn't play.

Perhaps I'm experiencing more than one issue?  That could explain why it seems random.  If I had two different problems that are causing audio to drop out, it would be much harder to see a pattern since the two separate problems could contradict each other.

• 11. Re: Audio Drops Out Randomly
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

It would seem to indicate that maybe it's still doing some type of loading.

That's possible.  With heavily compressed media, I also find that I have to wait a second or two for PP to 'catch up' after jockeying the CTI around a bit.  AVCHD is definitely not as snappy as DV to edit.  After scanning around, make sure you wait for PP to display the correct frame before you do anything else.