8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2013 4:48 PM by RjL190365

No video playback in the timeline

falk77

Hello guys, I have a huge problem, running premiere pro cs6. There is no video playback at all in the timeline, I only see a frozen frame, while the sound is working well. I was trying it with most compression formats (also low resolution material), it's always the same.My system  is a  Toshiba Satellite P875-31R 43,9 cm (17,3 Zoll) Notebook (Intel Core i7 3630QM, 2,4GHz, 16GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GT 640M, Blu-ray, Win 8). I was sure, it's working well. Does anybody know a possible solution? Thank you very much

• 1. Re: No video playback in the timeline
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is your media highly compressed like AVCHD?

Have you cleaned all the junk off your laptop that Dell puts on it and tuned your OS?

• 2. Re: No video playback in the timeline
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Did you add the 640M to the supported list for the Hardware MPE?

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: No video playback in the timeline
              JFPhoton Level 3

....whoa!!!!.....with that machine.....ordinarily, this should NOT be happening!!!!

Simple things to check :

1. Is newest driver installed for your video card ???  download and install from NVidia website, if necessary.

2. If your machine has " Intel Integrated Graphics" on the motherboard.....it may need to be turned off in BIOS to allow NVidia card to run.

3. Is your 750GB HDD a 7,200 rpm drive??....if 5400RPM put it in an external dock or enclosure to archive or backup stuff ....replace with Crucial M4 large SSD or Seagate momentus 750GB Hybrid HDD.

4. Is laptop setup properly ? :

a. turn off indexing and compression on all drives

b. OS, programs, and windows page file are only things to go on "C" drive....move all else to other drive

c. Is SSD suffering from "write degradation performance??"  Check performance by watching Windows performance monitor while transferring a large file between

HDD and SSD....test write speed in both directions.  If HDD is 7200 RPM, it will limit this performance to ~ 105 to 110 MB per second....if 5400RPM  can be far,far

less!!  Make sure HDD is less than half full and defragmented!

d. Is machine tuned??...remove unnecessary programs running in background.

5. Is PPro set properly :

a. With SSD....project files can go on SSD "C" drive....even media cache and previews,too, ( because of SSD speed.....not normally done). Compare with "D" for them.

b. Use "new item" icon to create your sequence to make sure timeline matches your footage, ( i.e. frames per sec., aspect ratio, etc.)

c. Make sure your NVidia card is "enabled" to work with PPro by applying the well discussed here "hack", or, visit Studio North website to use a simple program to

do it for you. Then, check in project settings that "Mercury Playback Engine" is selected to accelerate editing performance, (NOT 'software only" ). This "MPE" will

speed rendering previews and rendering output by accelerating certain functions, ( dissolves, color correction, scaling, etc.).

d. What codec(s) are you working with ??? If they are "RED" or 4K you may be overwhelming your machine. Even common DSLR codecs are very taxing on an i7

laptop.   You may need to transcode clips to DNxD Windows codec, or similar, to edit.

In general...."Occums Razor" suggests that the simplest answer usually applies.....something like just the correct video card driver !!!    Good Luck !!!

• 4. Re: No video playback in the timeline
                falk77 Level 1

Thank you for reply guys. I already found the solution here: http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm. It works great now.

• 5. Re: No video playback in the timeline

JFPhoton wrote:

....whoa!!!!.....with that machine.....ordinarily, this should NOT be happening!!!!

c. Is SSD suffering from "write degradation performance??"  Check performance by watching Windows performance monitor while transferring a large file between

HDD and SSD....test write speed in both directions.  If HDD is 7200 RPM, it will limit this performance to ~ 105 to 110 MB per second....if 5400RPM  can be far,far

less!!  Make sure HDD is less than half full and defragmented!

JF/falk77

Our new PPBM6 Disk I/O benchmark is a great Project disk test tool.  You actually get a true Premiere write rate in MB/second writing out a large AVI file.If you register you can see the posted results like a single 750 GB 7200 rpm laptop drive that with this test only showed 32 MB/sec all the way up to Harm's Monster with a disk write transfer rate of 1686 MB/s

• 6. Re: No video playback in the timeline
                    RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

You also have to realize that the single laptop drive's extremely slow performance is due in part to the fact that it also holds the OS, pagefile and programs in addition to the media, projects, previews and exports.

Randall

• 7. Re: No video playback in the timeline

Randall

All I was suggesting  is a new tool to measure that perforfomance.

• 8. Re: No video playback in the timeline
                        RjL190365 Level 4

Sorry about that.