4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2013 8:27 AM by the_wine_snob

Deleting windnoise PE11

fredowww66 Level 1

Hello,

A question about windnoise cancellation.

I know that PE11 has several automatic filters for windnoise cancelling, but I've tried them and the result was disappointing.

I've read that many videoeditors have the possebility to select a part of the clipaudioline where the windnoise is at his most (and that part may not have sounds that you want to keep).

After this selection you give the editor the task to reduce that sound in the whole active clip (sort of search and replace of sound). What results in a effective windnoise reduction ...

Is the same way possible in PE11 and if yes, is there a guideline online ?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Deleting windnoise PE11
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Removing wind noise is almost impossible, unfortunately -- at least if it occurs over dialog or if you want to keep the dialog and somehow filter out the background noise. Even Hollywood productions must commonly re-record dialog in a studio when wind or background noise was too great at the time of the shoot.

You can remove sound between lines of dialog using a noise gate. And if there's a hum of a certain frequency, you can sometimes use a frequency filter. But I don't think this is what you're looking for, is it?

• 2. Re: Deleting windnoise PE11
            fredowww66 Level 1

It would be already very helpfull to delete/minimize the windnoise in these parts of the clip where persons are not talking. The clip in my case, the parts where 'the actor' was talking outside, where acceptable but if interviewer and actor don't talk the wind overrules all other environmentsounds.

• 3. Re: Deleting windnoise PE11
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Use the noise gate parameters in the NewBlue Noise Fader audio effect. You'll have to experiment with the Threshold and Fade settings to get a natural cut-off.

But remember how noise gates work. The cut audio under a certain volume level. So it will only remove background and wind noise between lines of dialog -- and then only if this background noise is quieter than the dialog.

• 4. Re: Deleting windnoise PE11
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve - ambient noise in Audio is tough to remove, or reduce. This article covers some methods that might help: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2860521#2860521 However, and depending on the frequencies of the noise and the frequencies of the material that you wish to retain, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Good luck,

Hunt