6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2013 2:54 PM by the_wine_snob

Hello, is there a tutorial (Elements 11) anywhere

SteveH59 Level 1

that shows how to change a movie from colour to black and white and then, a few frames in, to slowly fade in the colour again?

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve

• 1. Re: Hello, is there a tutorial (Elements 11) anywhere
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I do not know of such a tutorial.

Unfortunately, the included B/W Effect does not allow one to adjust its intensity, so Keyframing it over time does not seem to be possible.

One could Cut their Clip, apply the B/W Effect to the first part, but not the second part, then add a long Cross-Dissolve between the B/W material, and that which is in full-color.

Now, there are other variations of B/W Effect from 3rd party sources, such as NewBlue FX (some of their Effects are included and installed in PrE), that might be Keyframable.

I thought that perhaps the Three-way Color Corrector, which is Keyframable, and has a pretty good range of Desaturation, would be a good option, but I could not get it to Desaturate to the point of going to B/W.

Good luck, and maybe others will have some options for you.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Hello, is there a tutorial (Elements 11) anywhere
            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, after some experimentation, the HSL Effect is Keyframable, and will get you what you want.

One would just apply the HSL Effect, and add an Effect animation Keyframe on the first Frame of the Clip, and adjust the Saturation of all colors to -100%. Then, at the point that they want the full-color, add another Keyframe, and adjust that Saturation for all colors to 0%. Done.

Note: those Keyframes will be Linear, so their Velocity/Interpolation will be constant. One might want to adjust the Interpolation of that "full-color" Keyframe to Ease In, or another form of Bezier Interpolation.

[Edit] After additional experimentation, I liked the HSL Effect, where the B/W (Desaturated Effect) held for a few moments, and the Desaturation did not start to fade, for about 03 sec. All I did was drag the Cursor around all those "first Frame" Keyframes, and drag them to the right a bit. The B/W look then started, and did not begin changing to full-color until after about 03 sec.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Hello, is there a tutorial (Elements 11) anywhere
              SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Hunt

I have saved your reply in my Favourites so that I can refer back to it.

I'll need to digest Keyframes more fully, and then hopefully replicate the effect you hace achieved.

I am glad you liked the effect.

Steve

• 4. Re: Hello, is there a tutorial (Elements 11) anywhere
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The best PrE tutorial on Keyframing, that I have found, is Steve Grisetti's Basic Keyframing Series on Muvipix.com.

I highly recommend that.

The concept of Keyframing is a little abstract, when first approached, but once one gets that behind them, the rest is just mechanics. Steve's series does a great job with both the concept and the mechanics.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Hello, is there a tutorial (Elements 11) anywhere
                  whsprague Level 4

Bill Hunt wrote:

Good luck, and maybe others will have some options for you.

Hunt

Grisetti's new book has it as "Cool Trick #18".   It would not be fair to explain his easy trick!  Buy the book "Cool Tips and Tricks for Adobe Premier Elements 11".  It's good.

• 6. Re: Hello, is there a tutorial (Elements 11) anywhere
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not gotten my Tips & Tricks book yet, but sounds like I need to do so.

For the B/W, ramped to full-color, it's pretty simple with the Effects in PrPro, but took me a bit more time to find a Keyframable way to do it easily in PrE 11. Still, a little bit of experimentation did not hurt, when it comes to "exercising the gray matter... "

Thanks,

Hunt