12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2013 5:12 PM by Jim_Simon

Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files

chande a k Level 1

I use my Panasonic AG-AC120EN for video recording on 32GB SanDisk ULTRA card., and I get about 3 hours 13 Mts of HD recording.

Last week I recorded an Event  of about  2hours 30 mts duration my Card file shows it has used  21.1 GB

When I brought my clip in Premiere Pro CS6 for editing it shows total duration as  6 hours 33 mts which is quite surprising

On checking my clips in Project Panel, I noticed that clips no 000069.mts show duration as  01:25:17:07

and clip No 000070,  Clip no 000071, and clip no 000072 are repeat of  clip 000069 each with same duration and same Video

In timeline in premiere  clip no 000069.mts shows duration as  01:25:17:07., actually it is so but in my media folder it shows duration as  00:26:20  and file size  3.99 Gb I am enclosing herewith media information clip

004  four.jpg

002  two.jpg

003  three.jpg

001   one.jpg

Can someone in the form please help., and tell me what is going wrong and where..?   why recorded clips in media are repeated with same video and same duration..?  PLEASE HELP

• 1. Re: Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files
          Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I used to have this problem with EX clips. If a single take video was spanned across several files, Premiere imported each file with the complete footage. This seems to have been fixed in the latest Premiere version. Are you using media browser to import the clips? I find this works best for spanned files.

• 2. Re: Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files
            chande a k Level 1

Thank you Richard, I think you have missed my point...

I am on Premiere CS6.,  clips where Imported through Media Browser., and it shows total duration as 06:33:23:13 ., in Media chip it show that out of 32 Gb capacity of SanDisk it has used only 21.1 Gb

clip No.00069.Mts is repeated three times in MEDIA CHIP ITSELF how this can HAPPEN

clip 00070.MTS, clip No. 00071 and also clip No.00072 with same Duration and same VIDEO content

One thing more in Premiere Project and Timeline all the above 4 clips shows Duration of each clip as  01:25:17:07

actually 1 st clip of the above 4 clips, that is clip no. 00069 if of the duration of  01:25:17:07 that is perfetly correct...

but in the Drive folder where I have downloaded this clips .,

It  surprisingly shows duration of clip as 00:26:20 and file size as 3.99Gb  and this is not correct duration of the clip

Please can somebody throw any light on this happening...  HOW clips are repeated in MEDIA CHIP itself...?

• 3. Re: Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files
              Jim_Simon Level 8

It does look like operator error here.

You start by transferring over the entire PRIVATE folder from the SD card to you hard drive.  Do not do anything other than copy.  Do not rename, move or delete anything inside the PRIVATE folder.

In Premiere Pro, use the Media Browser to navigate to that PRIVATE folder and dig down a level or two until the clips show up.  Done this way, you will only see the first file of any spanned clips, PP will not even show you the other files, let alone import them.  So if you're seeing them inside of PP, it means you didn't follow the proscribed work flow.

• 4. Re: Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files
                chande a k Level 1

005.jpg

Thank you Jim for trying to identify what is going wrong and where..?

Direct reading from SD Card..  it shows clip no. 00069 duration 00:26:20 file size  3.99 GB...  Clip No.00070  duration  00:26:25. file size 3.99 GB..  clip No. 00071 duration  00:26:24 filesize 3.99 GB..  clip No. 00072  duration  00:06:06 file size 945 MB. all these 4 clips contains same Video. and audio

My question is how these clips have been repeated in  Recording Media itself... and why they show different duration..?

• 5. Re: Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You're looking at the clips in Windows Explorer.  I'm not sure how that applies to Premeire Pro.

• 6. Re: Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files
                    chande a k Level 1

I have also posted screen grab of Premiere time line and this shows duplicate of clip no. 00069 but it is also sequencial.

Anyhow my Workflow is .  I copy AVCHD folder from SD Media., and paste in one of my Hard Disk Drive.,   In premiere I generally Import  STREAM folder.  In Project panel  I select all clips, right click on them and choose  NEW SEQUENCE FROM CLIP and I have never faced this problem.

I still can't understand how VIDEO Clips are repeated in Media itself

• 7. Re: Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

When you say "import the STREAM folder", do you use Pr's Media Browser?  If not, that's how you should be importing the clips -- not by using the File>Import command or dragging and dropping from Explorer.

Jeff

• 8. Re: Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I have also posted screen grab of Premiere time line and this shows duplicate of clip no. 00069 but it is also sequencial.

That's because you didn't follow the proper process as outlined in post 3.  Start over, and follow that carefully.

• 9. Re: Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files
                          chande a k Level 1

Thank you Jeff, Jim for guiding me to proper procedure to  Import  Clips through  Pr's Media Browser.. But since I did not encounter this problem earlier I was following File>Import procedure..I am importing entire Stream Folder is it right or I should select clips only and Import

Anyhow please note that even after Importing via Pr's Media Browser things does not  change. Now I think fault may be in my Panasonic  AG-AC 120EN camera, as clips are repeated in Media Itself. I have written Detailed letter to Panasonic. Let me see what reply I get from Panasonic people.  Thank you  all once again for helping

• 10. Re: Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I am importing entire Stream Folder

Don't do that.  Don't use any other method than the one described in post 3.  Use only that method.  Start over if you have to.  Done that way, you will not have this issue.

• 11. Re: Duplicate Clips appears in recorded media files
                              chande a k Level 1

Jim Thank you very much for explaining  me proper procedure to Import clips.

now every thing is in order. I was little worried as to how clips are repeated in Media Itself.. 

But looking coollly., I found that media does show exact correct duration of each clips.

Culprit was my wrong procedure and imported spanned 4 clips were getting merged., and hence showing extended duration

Thank you once again