8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 3:50 PM by Vonster

Adobe: Provide a droplet app to convert native FreeHand to an Ai format.

Vonster Level 1

I know Adobe removed all support of FreeHand from CS6 Ai. Fine. But Adobe now needs to have a programmer design a simple droplet app they can offer as a FREE download on their site or as a FREE download to those who upgrade to Creative Cloud that allows former FreeHand users to still have access to their design archive moving forward.

The droplet would ignore any placed images or fonts and just strip out the vector content and spit out an .ai file the user could than open in Adobe Illustrator.

Seriously, how long would it take one of their programmers in India to do this? Maybe a week max? How much good will would that foster in the creative community? A lot!

I have one friend whose G5 mac is dying, he needs to buy a new iMac but discovered his FreeHand will no longer run on the new iMac. He knows he needs to switch to Ai and start using CS6 but he has 20+ years of vector art he can't simply abandon. He needs to be able to access it and for Adobe to give users the finger and not at least provide a means to convert art is a total BS move on their part. Adobe you need to work with these people. They're going to switch but you can't ask them to lay aside two decades of work because you won't create a simple droplet app to convert a file and give them access to their artwork.

I know another design firm in town whose whole system works with FreeHand, they have plugins to do specific forms of typography distortions (KPT Vector Effects) that even CS6 Ai sucks at and simply cannot even come close to doing well and yet Adobe expects these firms to just forget thousands of creative assets and abandon them because Adobe is too lazy to provide an easy means to convert files so they can at least transition with less pain when the move from FreeHand to CS6 Ai?

It's hard enough changing from FreeHand to Illustrator, add to that the fact Adobe now wants to prevent some users from being able to even access old FreeHand art and it's just adding needless insult to creative injury.

I made the switch back with CS2, but I still have 15 years worth of vector art I'd like to have access too. I don't want to have to keep CS5 on machine forever just to be able to use my old vector art because Adobe is too short sighted to provide a simple solution via a droplet app to convert them when needed.

I've attached a diagram that explains it as easy as I can. Come on Adobe, assign one programmer to this and get it done already this is a no-brainer. You bought FreeHand, you killed it, at least make it easier for those switching to access their old art in the new app they are using from you. (View larger image here)

fhtoai.jpg

• 1. Re: Adobe: Provide a droplet app to convert native FreeHand to an Ai format.
          maeric Level 3

I totally agree with this and whether this comes through Adobe or through a third party developer, it is still needed. It may be that another company picks this up, particularly one that has some FreeHand background along with Illustrator. Astute Graphics or Xtreme Path come to mind but Codeline has a utility for examining both FreeHand and Illustrator file previews. Perhaps ex-Macromedia FreeHand programmers? There is more to this story as I've read on InDesign forums that a FH>ID converter is wanted as well.  Could this be combined?

• 2. Re: Adobe: Provide a droplet app to convert native FreeHand to an Ai format.
            m2d3x4 Level 1

I followed the whole FreeFreehand thing, nice to see them trying to make a new app that mimics Freehand, but hey! Freehand itself is still the best tool out there. I use it for production every day. As long as Illustrator does not get the triangle-connector point, I see no use for using CS Illustrator. And Freehand is not that hard to run. I have it running on Snow Leopard macs, and on Snow Leopard Server under Virtual Box in Mavericks running Macs. You can buy Snow Leopard Server for 18€/19.99$ at Apple, and that allows you to run Freehand 10/MX forever in a virtualised environment. Because the software is so lean, it still runs way snappier than Illustrator, even though it is on PPC->Intel emulation + Virtualisation!

• 3. Re: Adobe: Provide a droplet app to convert native FreeHand to an Ai format.
              maeric Level 3

VirtualBox runs Snow Leopard in Mavericks?!

That's a surprise, I thought it only ran Windows and Linux OS's. If this is true and you have FHMX running smoothly, it is the cheapest route yet. All I know is having to buy either Fusion or Parallels for $60 along with 10.6 Server—which used to cost a lot more than $20.

Can you pass FH files between VirtualBox and Mavericks desktop?

Thanks for the update on this and I see you've been busy posting it around this forum. Would you open a new thread with details of your installation and any tweaks you had to make run it smoothly? Post here too: FreeHand Forum •  English

—Mark

• 4. Re: Adobe: Provide a droplet app to convert native FreeHand to an Ai format.
                Vonster Level 1

I'm sorry but this IS NOT a reasonable answer it's ********.

I stopped using FreeHand and installing it on my machine since early 2006. There is no reason why Adobe couldn't make a simple conversion droplet or app. They have the raw code in Ai that opened FH until CS6 hit.

In essence Adobe is giving users the finger and the timing with creative cloud is no mistake. Use our software and shut up and pay! No more FREEhand we're cutting you off.

Adobe is arrogant and refuse to be reasonable on this specific topic. And the can be, they're a monopoly.

• 5. Re: Adobe: Provide a droplet app to convert native FreeHand to an Ai format.
                  maeric Level 3

Von, any news on the two independent programmers who were working on the droplet?

It is still badly needed and Adobe sure isn't going to do it.

• 6. Re: Adobe: Provide a droplet app to convert native FreeHand to an Ai format.
                    Vonster Level 1

The developer I was working with out of Hong Kong made progress but than backed out. He got busy on another job that dominated his time. He said he'd provide the source code he had worked on to a new developer but I've yet to find one. Of course Adobe could bang this out in a week, so it's not a matter of if they can, it's a matter of why they don't?

Adobe can develop tools like "Lens Flair" but not one that would allows users to access their archives of work? Adobe is being a ********** in context of this IMO. They are ethically obligated to write a conversion app if for no other reason than good will.

If anyone knows of a developer who can do this I'd be willing to pay for it at this point. Why should Adobe have the right to tell creatives they can no longer access their old work? That is the real issue here. Adobe is strong arming creatives, limiting options and forcing compliance as they prefer you work. Their engineers have the same mentality with their new tools too. It's not about letting the user work as they prefer, the engineer dictate the methodology regardless if it's coherent or not.

But I digress.

Re: Adobe: Provide a droplet app to convert native FreeHand to an Ai format.

created by maeric in Freehand - View the full discussion

Von, any news on the two independent programmers who were working on the droplet?

It is still badly needed and Adobe sure isn't going to do it.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6011569#6011569

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6011569#6011569

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6011569#6011569. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Freehand at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

---

Von Glitschka, Illustrative Designer

Glitschka Studios  |  www.vonglitschka.com  -  ph. 971.223.6143  |  Blog  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Design Courses

• 7. Re: Adobe: Provide a droplet app to convert native FreeHand to an Ai format.
                      maeric Level 3

Vonster wrote:

The developer I was working with out of Hong Kong made progress but than backed out. He got busy on another job that dominated his time. He said he'd provide the source code he had worked on to a new developer but I've yet to find one. Of course Adobe could bang this out in a week, so it's not a matter of if they can, it's a matter of why they don't?

Adobe can develop tools like "Lens Flair" but not one that would allows users to access their archives of work? Adobe is being a ********** in context of this IMO. They are ethically obligated to write a conversion app if for no other reason than good will.

If anyone knows of a developer who can do this I'd be willing to pay for it at this point. Why should Adobe have the right to tell creatives they can no longer access their old work? That is the real issue here. Adobe is strong arming creatives, limiting options and forcing compliance as they prefer you work. Their engineers have the same mentality with their new tools too. It's not about letting the user work as they prefer, the engineer dictate the methodology regardless if it's coherent or not.

But I digress.

Gotcha. Like you said Von, good will is reason enough for Adobe to pursue this as they already have the translation code and expertise. If they don't want to do it then support a developer to do it third party. I think it is time for a chat with Brenda on this.

—Mark

• 8. Re: Adobe: Provide a droplet app to convert native FreeHand to an Ai format.
                        Vonster Level 1

Love of money. Some may choose to hold on to FreeHand and just convert files when needed. This means no monthly pound of flesh payment for Adobe and they cannot support that. They want everyone dependent on their software.