4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2013 5:44 AM by Jim_Simon

Optimal Hard Drive Setup for 3D and CS6 Motion Graphics?

dMillerUFC

Hello, I'm trying to figure out the best way to separate the following into different hard drives for best performance...

- OS (probably Windows 7 or 8 64bit)

- OS page swap disk

- Programs (Cinema4D and Adobe CS6)

- Adobe Media/Disk Cache

- Project files

- Source/Import Data Files

- Render/Output Data Files

So far, I'm thinking of...

- One Internal SATA3 SSD for OS, OS swap, Programs, Adobe Media Cache

- One Internal SATA2 HDD for Project and Source/Import Data Files

- One External USB3 HDD for Render/Output Files

I'm wondering if separating the files in a different way would be more optimal, and/or if adding more SDD hard drives for the Page Swap file and Media Disk Cache would we worth the money. Particularly, should the OS, OS swap file, Programs, and Media Cache be separated into different drives?

• 1. Re: Optimal Hard Drive Setup for 3D and CS6 Motion Graphics?
          Jim_Simon Level 9

Here's what I recommend as a starting point for a good system.

C: System (Windows and Programs)

D: Projects

E: Cache/Scratch/Previews

F: Media

G: Exports

Leave the page file alone.  You won't see any benefit from moving it, and could potentially mess things up if you don't set it right.

• 2. Re: Optimal Hard Drive Setup for 3D and CS6 Motion Graphics?
            dMillerUFC Level 1

Thanks Jim.

I have couple of follow-up questions:

1. Why separate Project and Media(I'm assuming you mean footage/photoshop/ect.) files? Aren't project files very small?

2. If I have one SATA3 SSD with OS(plus page file) and programs on it, would it be better to put the Cache/Scratch/Previews there as well, vs. on a separate slower SATA2 HDD disk?

• 3. Re: Optimal Hard Drive Setup for 3D and CS6 Motion Graphics?
              Kranex1

Your true performance benefit comes from separating program and media (read/write). The rest is fine tuning and in my view, inconsequential.

1) True project files are small, but if I'm not mistaken only Avid MC conforms in this manner, for added security. Don't think it matter with Premiere.

2) I assign mine to a separate SSD. I like muliple HDD/SSD if you can.

• 4. Re: Optimal Hard Drive Setup for 3D and CS6 Motion Graphics?
                Jim_Simon Level 9

1. Why separate Project and Media(I'm assuming you mean footage/photoshop/ect.) files? Aren't project files very small?

Premiere Pro and After Effects project files aren't that large, but on this drive I also include any audio and stills used in the project, as well as the Encore project.  Essentially anything you would need to rebuild the project down the line would go here, except the media.  That goes on it's own dedicated drive.

Depending on the complexity, a project folder can easily get into multi-gigabyte range.

2. If I have one SATA3 SSD with OS(plus page file) and programs on it, would it be better to put the Cache/Scratch/Previews there as well, vs. on a separate slower SATA2 HDD disk?

I'd go separate.  Don't put anything on the System drive but the OS and Windows.