1 2 Previous Next 75 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 1:27 AM by Chase Chick

Which monitor is best for color grading?

sankoor2012 Level 1

I am new to Editing & color grading,i am working for films,using Adobe CS6 & davinci resolve now i am looking for 2nd monitor(reference or preview purpose) which one is best to choose in budget.

my monitor is dell 27 inch ips monitor,and what to choose second one ,is it a broadcast monitor or one more ips monitor is enough? broadcast monitor is expensive then which is best budget monitor to choose?plz help me

• 1. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
          cfg_2451 Level 2

As usual, it depends on what your purpose is. If your output is going to be web only, then a computer monitor displaying the sRGB working space is sufficient. If your output is going to be HDTV, DVD, or Blu-ray, then you need a monitor that can display the Rec.709 working space. That means a production monitor, or at least an HDTV (with the hardware/software to get that TV a broadcast signal).

Without a proper output device to let you see what you're doing, Resolve is pointless. My advice -- buy your output device first. Use it with the three way color corrector effect in PPro for a while. You may find that sufficient. If you outgrow the Abobe tools, you can always buy Resolve when you need to.

• 2. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
            lasvideo Level 4

For serious accurate color correction I suggest you talk to these folks.

http://www.shopfsi.com/?gclid=COK3js-Lp7YCFWunPAoda1kAyQ

• 3. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

If your output is going to be web only, then a computer monitor displaying the sRGB working space is sufficient.

I disagree.  For proper color correction and grading, you need to see the signal accurately, and that precludes most computer monitors and software players.  This applies regardless of how the video will be distributed.

• 4. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                Jeff Bellune Level 5

Please don't double-post.  I deleted your duplicate topic.

Jeff

• 5. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I have to agree with Jim, I just can't afford to follow his advice.

I find myself checking the videos I post on various different computers and televisions, just hoping that it will come out OK. Getting the proper levels is tough when you are just guessing.

Then again, I have never attempted anything as important as my current project. Therefore I am considering geting an X-Rite.

• 6. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                    sankoor2012 Level 1

I am doing my first film(2k Red footage) now i am making one budget pc setup for adobe cs6 and resolve(editing and color grade),some people telling that take one proffesional broadcast monitor (reference purpose)for color grade but i don't have that much budget which one is cheap n best for my requirement n what to do, is the dell ultrasharp is ok or anything else? plz help me

• 7. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                      Kranex1 Level 1

Start with your budget OP. Then you can get the best suggestion for monitor to fit. Nevertheless, you muct make sure that it is compatible with the rest of your system, i.e. ports/outputs.

• 8. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                        sankoor2012 Level 1

my system config is

asusp9x79 pro,

intel i7 3930k,

Gtx 680 4 gb,

32 gb Ram,

240 gb ssd,

2 tb sata harddisk

750 watts corsair power supply

dell ultrasharp 27 inch monitor

Reference monitor -?

for reference monitor my budget is $1500 , plz suggest me about reference monitor

• 9. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                          sankoor2012 Level 1

my system config is

asusp9x79 pro,

intel i7 3930k,

Gtx 680 4 gb,

32 gb Ram,

240 gb ssd,

2 tb sata harddisk

750 watts corsair power supply

dell ultrasharp 27 inch monitor

Reference monitor -?

for reference monitor my budget is $1500 , plz suggest me about reference monitor

• 10. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                            BVEng Level 1

a) you need a video output card...

b) you can get away with a calibrated consumer monitor

your budget won't allow for a real broadcast monitor for reference...like a TV Logic, which is a very good reference monitor as it calibrates as close to REC 709 as I've come for around 3500 bucks.

I suggest a Black Magic Decklink Studio $300, and a $1200 Plasma (you can find them, just look, Samsungs are more color correct than Panasonics in that price range), connect it via HDMI and calibrate it..., there are many cheap Bluray/DVD calibrator disks out there that getr you very close without paying 300 bucks for a pro calibration.  (Movie/Cinema mode is very close).

• 11. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                              Kranex1 Level 1

Well I'm partial to Dell (since I already have their workstation) and their UltraSharp U3011 30" with its out-of-the-box good looks. I'm in the market too and would like to add one of these to my workstation by the summer.

However,  HP is also highly rated and in the same price range, if you prefer.

After this price point the amount of diminishing return increases dramatically. Choose wisely

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KKGF1O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390 957&creativeASIN=B004KKGF1O&linkCode=as2&tag=gamingsquid-20

• 12. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                sankoor2012 Level 1

can u suggest me  which is the best plasma for my requirement

• 13. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa271w-bk-sv

That NEC is the best choice in that price range. I believe that also includes the colorimeter as well.

Eric

ADK

• 14. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                    Kranex1 Level 1

The Dell is really all you need. Those that need/recommend more, simple have bigger budgets. I would buy a Lexus if I could afford one but a Toyota will do transportation just as well.

Also Adobe CS6 comes with its own professional color grading software (Speedgrade, and Color finesse (AE), and the 3-way color corrector (PP)) so you really don't need Resolve unless again, you just want to have it.

• 15. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                      Kranex1 Level 1

Yes NEC makes some of the best pro monitors out there. Just make sure whatever monitor you choose is 10 bit.

You will also need a 10 bit card (sn Nvidia Quadro, AMD FirePro) and an OS (Windows 7 and beyond) that can accomodate 10 bit. As for Mac, only the current Mountain Lion is compatible. Anything before that, won't work.

The last but not least piece of the puzzle is the software. It too must handle 10 bit (few do) but the current Photoshop will. If any one of these are missing it won't work.

• 16. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                        Keith Moreau Level 1

Kranex1, I'm wondering, does Mac OS 10.8 actually support 10 bit graphics from something like a Quadro 4000? I know that previous Mac OS's didn't, on;y 8 bit. My internet research is inconclusive, anybody using a Quadro to drive this on Mac? Thanks for any info here.

• 17. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                          Kranex1 Level 1

Keith Moreau wrote:

Kranex1, I'm wondering, does Mac OS 10.8 actually support 10 bit graphics from something like a Quadro 4000? I know that previous Mac OS's didn't, on;y 8 bit. My internet research is inconclusive, anybody using a Quadro to drive this on Mac? Thanks for any info here.

Previeous Mac OS do not. Only current Mac OS > Mountain Lion support 10 bit. Remember, 10 bit is a rearity, so in order for it to work your entire chain must be 10 bit compatible: OS, Monitor, Program, and graphics card.

• 18. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                            Keith Moreau Level 1

I'm using Premiere Pro CC, Mac Pro 12 Core with Quadro 4000 and a ASUS Pro Art Monitor, so would I be able to hook up the displayport output from the Quadro to the ASUS and get 10 bit- or whatever pseudo 10 bit ASUS puts out?

I tried before with OS 10.7 then realized it didn't work. Would rather not use the Intensity Pro PCI card I have as it seems unstable and just extra complex. Thanks for any advice and where did you get the confirmation that 10.8 works on 10 bit?

• 19. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                              Kranex1 Level 1

Keith Moreau wrote:

I'm using Premiere Pro CC, Mac Pro 12 Core with Quadro 4000 and a ASUS Pro Art Monitor, so would I be able to hook up the displayport output from the Quadro to the ASUS and get 10 bit- or whatever pseudo 10 bit ASUS puts out?

I tried before with OS 10.7 then realized it didn't work. Would rather not use the Intensity Pro PCI card I have as it seems unstable and just extra complex. Thanks for any advice and where did you get the confirmation that 10.8 works on 10 bit?

Bottom of the page in RED: http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/152/10+Bit+Output+Supporthttp://

• 20. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                Keith Moreau Level 1

Hi Kranex1

Respectfully, I dont think the articles you linked to said that 10-bit works with Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. They don't even mention that version of Mac OS. I think the article was written before 10.8 even came out. As far as I know Apple has still not updated their OS to support 10-bit  natively. If anybody has information to add to this, please do! I'm very eager to see if Apple indeed is supporting 10-bit graphics in 10.8 Mountain Lion.

• 21. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                  Kranex1 Level 1

I presented it to confirm what they know would not work so you wouldn't have to waste time checking that. As you can see getting the right anwser wasn't easy.

Nevertheless, newer products are always being added, so you will have to check current OS for compatibility. I'm a PC guy, so I know W7 and W8 are supported in 10 bit.

• 22. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                    GaryLitwin Level 1

In the Adobe booth this year at NAB, the Boland HD32 was used as the reference monitor.  It's also seen on the music video - editing features throughout the Adobe website.

I'd be happy to let any of you do an eval.   Just call me at Boland and I will set it up- Gary

• 23. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                      frekleface Level 1

I know this probably isn't the correct forum, but I'm running short on emotion.   I've got the Adobe cloud suite.  Use Premiere and After Effects extensively.  I just changed my monitor to a Dell U3014.  After changing to this monitor, I've encountered terrible color rendering issues with Premiere.  Colors are washed out and weak when viewing the render from the preview screen.  Any help would be great!

Ron

• 24. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?

What is the timeline playback or source monitor color like on that monitor?

Eric

ADK

• 25. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                          GaryLitwin Level 1

HI Eric,

Most of our pro editors use (at least) our HD32 (true 10 bit panel). 

Our 47" is also  very good (bigger of course).  David Fincher's team

edited House of Cards on our SE47.

How much do you want to invest??  Also.... am assuming you want HD SDI?

Best Regards,

Gary

Gary Litwin

• 26. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                            preditorj40153117 Level 1

The effect that your graphics card has on external monitoring is not a factor.  Internally it is and in the effects that you use but not on proper external monitoring.

Maybe you meant to say capture card or I/O. The BM Intensity is an I/O that could work for external monitoring. 

The Dell u2410 is good for near rec709. The u2711 and the u3011 are all good. The Nec is the next thing up in someways but i heard that they rainbow a little more than the Dell and less than the Dream Color.

MAC USER.

• 28. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

The suggested list price of $40,000 kind of rules it out for anyone that I know personally. Maybe there are some people I have met in my life that could justify it, but nobody I could say that I actually know.

1 person found this helpful
                                                              • 29. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?

Honestly with all due respect.

This suggestion is just flat out rediculous. It probably works for networks or hollywood but under that its like saying "well if you are in the market for a house the why not just buy a small country like Iceland."

I have always been suspect of suggestions like this to Freelancers and small production houses. The Flanders or Ezio suggestions are at least reachable. Most people who suggest even those brands dont have one. They just read about it on the web.

I am sure its a great monitor but not realistic for this thread. 40k gets you a Sony F5 or RED Epic and everything you need to do 4k editing including a Flanders or Ezio.

I'm just saying.

• 30. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                                  naumen Level 1

Flanders are cheapest true 10bit monitors that i could find. http://www.shopfsi.com/category-s/66.htm

Ture 10 Bit LCD Panel 17." - $$2,895.00 , 24`` - 5000$ its not that crazy expansive .... for a pro.... but its already calibrated, and u get, if i remember its right, free calibration for life ... u pay just for shipping! its a no brainer to me.... u also Get Great Production monitor (sdi connections) that u can take with you on a shoot... + scopes... and so on... u can even rent it out...

i am in same pants , i also want 10bit monitors, so ll get 2 dells for work and 1 flander for color check. dells come 1st and as soon as ill save enough ill get a flander - its an investment as i also video operator. So i am sure its hard to justify to spend 3000-4000 $ on true 10bit monitor if editing is just your hobby, but then why would u need it....  but if u r getting paid for your edit and color correction - i think its a no brainier!

• 31. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?

NEC PA series panels are 10bit and will get you everything you will need to grade footage or Images. it will get you about 85% of Kodac2393 (which i have never heard of an applied use for in day to day business). This is new knowledge to me also but NEC covers 98% of Adobe RGB, and 99% of BT709. That covers everything I need.

There is no way to get rid of the color curb and no matter what 10bit monitor you choose your eyes will have to see it for a while to get use to doing things like compensating for the screen leaning blue or yellow. This is negligible when you know your equipment. You have to look at these images you create over and over again on maybe hundreds of screens before you form your EYE.

I reject the notion that for Corporate or Broadcast level TV commercial work, logo design, Image editing, 3D Graphics that a pro would need better. A Pro does work consistently and a lot of design and color work is starting to go to smaller production house (staff of 9 people small). The freelance economy has increased about 17% in the last 2 years.

At a pro-level level Your Ture , FSI, Ezio, and yes NEC are all PRO monitors. There are more 20k and under jobs than there are 2million dollar jobs. Full length films have been graded on Panasonic 42inch plasmas. I Think its perspective. If you are doing 10k jobs you want it to look good be crisp and well graded You do not need to spend over 3k.

The economy proves it.

• 32. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                                      Wellington Films Level 1

Hi all,

I've got a DeckLink 4K Extreme and Premiere Pro CS6. I am wondering what is the best monitor to plug it into for colour grading (via Speed Grade or Da Vinci Resolve Lite), as are the rest of you, it seems. As 4K monitors are now coming out I wondered about the Dell UltraSharp UP2414Q, connected via HDMI:

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=8452 18

What do you good people reckon? This is bang on my budget of £1000 + VAT. Or is there a better bet?

The colour support says:

Colour Gamut (typical): Adobe RGB 99%, sRGB 100%

1.07 Billion colours (8 Bits +AFRC)

The much larger (and double the price) UP3214Q is here:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dell-up3214q?c=uk&l=en&s=dh s&cs=ukdhs1&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

The colour support says:

Colour Gamut (typical): Adobe RGB 99%, sRGB 100%

1.074 Billion colours (10 Bits)

Is that difference between 8bit and 10bit going to seriously hamper me? Is there a 10bit 4K monitor in my price range or should I go for a 10bit 2K monitor?

(And yes, I know the DeckLink 4K Extreme is a hefty piece of kit for plugging into a 'relatively' cheap monitor but rather nice circumstances meant I ended up with one, albeit with no suitable monitor.)

Thanks.

• 33. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?

Still waiting on some feedback on that Dell 24 from people I watch but so far it definitely looks to be the best solution at that range right now and what I would suggest. Yes 10bit color does make a difference previewing when your grading or compositing

Eric

ADK

• 34. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                                          Wellington Films Level 1

Thanks Eric. There seems to be a few just itching to be released, including the Phiips 288P6 and the Samsung UD970. Any thoughts on these? Are they truly 10bit? Is it bad to use dithering to achieve a bit rate (as hinted at in various articles) - does it affect colour grading accuracy?

• 35. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                                            Kranex1 Level 1

Wellington Films wrote:

Thanks Eric. There seems to be a few just itching to be released, including the Phiips 288P6 and the Samsung UD970. Any thoughts on these? Are they truly 10bit? Is it bad to use dithering to achieve a bit rate (as hinted at in various articles) - does it affect colour grading accuracy?

Both recently released Dells seem to be great monitors and at a great price. The third soon to be released 28" will have less features, but for those that want 4k at the most competive priece, this will be it.

I plan to get the 24" soon and will make a person review of what I think. It may not be a true  10 bit display (8bit A-FRC), but it proported to be just as capable up until all but the very extreme limits of application.

For those that claim 10 bit isn't necessary because all consumer monitors are 8 bit, I say popicock. I could have used that excuse decades ago with resolution and all we would have around today would be 320 VHS quality movies. That  was the maximum TV could resolve for many, many years. 

How would you feel about watching all your movies like that? Luckily, somebody had enough forward thinking and now we can all enjoy our old movies like new again. I don't know about you, but I enjoy seeing what I've never seen before in movies form the 40s. And come 4k, iit will get even better still.

Using and applyng the highest quality you can afford won't stop your content from becoing obsolete, however, it will delay it as long as possible. I think that's worth the extra investmen, not to mention, it could pay off a second time! I might have understood that resistance to future tech reasoning a decade ago when owning such monitors costs many, many thousands of dollars. But not now

Nowadays, 10 bit monitors aren't unreasonable, nor are the requiemrnts for the systems that support them.

• 36. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?

The Samsung definitely looks good. Whether it's true 10 or 8+ I cant narrow down yet. There is a difference in color range between the 2 but your talking a few percentage points here so probably not enough to matter to most.

Still dont see pricing on the Samsung so that is a wait and see.

Eric

ADK

• 37. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                                                Alex Iniesta Level 1

Hi, I'm buiding a new post-production room and my intation is to make the color corrction with Davinci Resolve, the video card will be 4 k UltraStudio blackmagic, the new MAC PRO computer, and Avid editing system.

My problem now is the monitor. I've been shuffling EIZOCOLOREDGE CG276, HP DREAMCOLOR. But ACAV see the following monitor that he did not know. It's http://www.konvision.com/en/show-62.aspx.

Seem to be a good monitor?

Someone can help me.

• 38. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                                                  sankoor2012 Level 1

i am doing grade in speedgrade and using a sony klv-46R452A http://www.sony.co.in/product/klv-46r452a , the tv have scene select modes like Auto,General,Movie,Photo,music,Game etc.... i need best color mode and values for this tv to grade a movie,i am using this to my computer with hdmi cable anyone plz help.....

• 39. Re: Which monitor is best for color grading?
                                                                                    GaryLitwin Level 1

I work for Boland Monitors.  Just wanted to chime in here.  If you are doing color, or even offline (and you want to see accurate colorspace), make sure you use a professional monitor as your "go to" for reference.  Most TV's and computer monitors are not exact (even the best of them).  Get a model (regardless of brand) that can be calibrated to the EXACT colorspace you are supposed to be working in, or one that comes already calibrated out of the box.

If I can answer any questions for you, post them and I will give it a shot.

1 2 Previous Next