3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2013 7:15 AM by sjpt

ADE doesn't support Kindle!

Rhuddlanauthor

Bought 3 ebooks with WHSmith Giftcard via Kobo BUT discovered ADE doesn't support my Kindle ereader. Grrr...I downloaded ADE but didnt authorise as I couldn't find ID or code for Kobo and wasn't sure what the story was. What to do now?

• 1. Re: ADE doesn't support Kindle!
          sjpt Level 4

Kindle lock-down is 100% the fault of Amazon; they want to make sure you can only buy books from them.

I am afraid that the only solutions I know are not to buy a Kindle; or give into Amazon's tactics and buy all your books from them.

I often criticise the Adobe DRM infrastructure; but in this case Adobe is faultless.

• 2. Re: ADE doesn't support Kindle!
            AnneBoleyn1536 Level 1

There is something you can do! Go to http://calibre-ebook.com/ download software "Its Free" and it will convert any ebook you have purchased and then you can tranfer it to your Kendle. I had to do this when I bought my Kindle about a month ago.

• 3. Re: ADE doesn't support Kindle!
              sjpt Level 4

Very good point.  Calibre is an excellent piece of software (much better than ADE to my mind) and good at converting books, eg to Kindle format.

Unfortunately, Calibre will not handle DRM books (neither Adobe DRM nor Kindle format DRM), which rules out almost all bought books and library books.

You can go via a DRM stripper such as epubee.  The exact legal boundaries of drm stripping are unclear and vary from country to country, but from everything I have read it is legal for personal use in the UK and US.  It may violate the t&cs under which the books were sold.