11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 10:15 AM by the_wine_snob RSS

Choppy play back

playback of HD videos is only choppy in elements works fine in quicktime and WMP.  Everything is up to date according to the adobe application manager. i can reduce the video quality and get smooth play but that is not a long term fix.

My computer

OS NameMicrosoft Windows 7 Home Premium
      Version6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
      Other OS DescriptionNot Available
      OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation
      System NameMIKE_LAP-MSI
      System ManufacturerMicro-Star International Co., Ltd.
      System ModelGT680/GX680/GT683/GT683DX/GT685/GT687/GX660DX
      System Typex64-based PC
      ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
      BIOS Version/DateAmerican Megatrends Inc. E16F2IMS V1.0Z, 4/6/2012
      SMBIOS Version2.7
      Windows DirectoryC:\windows
      System DirectoryC:\windows\system32
      Boot Device\Device\HarddiskVolume2
      LocaleUnited States
      Hardware Abstraction LayerVersion = "6.1.7601.17514"
      User NameMike_Lap-MSI\Mike_Lap
      Time ZoneW. Europe Daylight Time
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM)12.0 GB
      Total Physical Memory12.0 GB
      Available Physical Memory7.22 GB
      Total Virtual Memory24.0 GB
      Available Virtual Memory18.9 GB
      Page File Space12.0 GB
      Page FileC:\pagefile.sys
      Display adapter typeNVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M
      Total available graphics memory4095 MB
            Dedicated graphics memory1536 MB
            Dedicated system memory0 MB
            Shared system memory2559 MB
      Display adapter driver version9.18.13.1070
      Primary monitor resolution1920x1080
      DirectX versionDirectX 10
        • 1. Re: Choppy play back
          Steve Grisetti MVP

Which version of the program are you using?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? How did you get the video from your camcorder to your computer?

What are your project settings (under the Edit menu)?

Are you running the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 7?

• 2. Re: Choppy play back
            John T Smith MVP

A laptop that is not designed for video editing, with the usual, single 5400 rpm hard drive, is not going to work very well

Jerky or slow playback http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1071217

• 3. Re: Choppy play back
              mikeansd Community Member

Pr 11

GoPro hero 3 black in 1440 @ 48fps and 1080 @ 60fps

1080 @60fps drop frame time code

64bit windows

Hard drive is 7200rpm SATA 3.0 Gb/s

i have rendered the project and i get a green line but still choppy on playback.

• 4. Re: Choppy play back
                Steve Grisetti MVP

Yes. GoPro video has some unique challenges.

Maybe someone who's got experience with working with it can pop in and offer some advice.

• 5. Re: Choppy play back
                  the_wine_snob Community Member

Thank you for all of the details.

While editing is much more intensive an operation, than simple playback, your laptop should be more than adequate to handle that GoPro footage. Even with but a single 7200RPM SATA HDD, you should still be able to edit that smoothly. Nothing jumps out, regarding the OS or the system.

Are you running any real-time, active-scan anti-virus, anti-malware, or anti-anything programs, while editing?

Am I correct in assuming that you let PrE 11 choose the Project's Preset for that material?

What is the Project Preset that it chose?

When you drag the footage to the Timeline, is there a yellow line over the Clips?

Good luck,

• 7. Re: Choppy play back

running norton 360 in background

using the projects presets choosing NTSC-AVCHD-AVCHD 1080p60

System automatically chooses the NTSC- AVCHD Full HD 1080i 30

I used Cineform Studio to convert the files before importing them into adobe.

what is weird is the thumbnails in organizer, the playback there is worse there than in the Pr elements editor.

i had to download something seperate so that i could have a project in 1080p 60fps.

everything i have found about choppy playback is a result of performance of the machine which cleary this is not my problem. the goPro stuff i have transformed my files so that adobe shouldnt have a problem.

• 8. Re: Choppy play back
                      Steve Grisetti MVP

"i had to download something seperate so that i could have a project in 1080p 60fps."

This could be part of your performance problem. You should not have had to add to the program or install new codecs to edit this file with version 11.

"the goPro stuff i have transformed my files so that adobe shouldnt have a problem."

This could also be part of your problem. What program did you use to convert the Go Pro footage? What did you convert it to? Often when people convert video, they actually end up making is LESS rather than more compatible with the program.

• 9. Re: Choppy play back
                        whsprague Community Member

On some camcorder and GoPro sites it is suggested you use GoPro's free CineForm Studio editing software.  One of it's dozen or so features is to "Convert GoPro H.264 MP4s into editor friendly CineForm AVI or MOV files"  (http://gopro.com/software-app/cineform-studio).

If the OP is using this, it seems to me that the project preset may not match the output of the GoPro software.  Since GoPro says there is a choice between AVI and MOV, it appears output can have a few varieties.  This may be even more true if he "added something special" to make it into 1080p60.

Perhaps the OP can go back to the GoPro software, output a few of the choices and try to bring those into PrE11.

Good luck.

Bill S

• 10. Re: Choppy play back

so fore some reason when installing Pr 11 for the first time the 1080p 60fps does not show up in the Project preset when installign in Europe so the adobe fix is to download a seperate file an insert it into the settings ->progect preset file so that the system will now have that project preset recoginzed.

so i tried avi format from Cineform and that was a improvement but i had a subistantial loss of quality after rendering, the mov format was similar results.

what i have found that works is altering the reslolution in Cineform to the supported movie preset dowingradign 1440 @50fps to 1080 @ 30fps

but the real solution going forward will be Final Cut Pro on desktop.

• 11. Re: Choppy play back
                            the_wine_snob Community Member

As FCP will internally convert your Imported footage to an intermediate CODEC for editing, that might be the best route. Those FCP intermediate files should edit smoothly.

Good luck,