7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 9:56 AM by Bryn Banfield

Problems Opening PDF with Digital Signatures

Bryn Banfield Level 1

I am having problems opening a PDF document once digital signatures have been applied.  I have reduced the size of the document from 95 MB to 56 MB by saving the document as a Reduced Size PDF, and can open it without problems before the signatures are added.  What could be the problem?

• 1. Re: Problems Opening PDF with Digital Signatures
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What sort of problems exactly?

• 2. Re: Problems Opening PDF with Digital Signatures
            Bryn Banfield Level 1

The document takes twenty minutes to open, and in some cases, freezes the computer up.

• 3. Re: Problems Opening PDF with Digital Signatures
              Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi Bryn,

We did optimize how multiple signatures are processed in version 11 (i.e. Acrobat XI). It could be that you are using an older version and there are a lot of signatures in the document. This gets a bit geeky, but what we used to do was when we validated a signature we also validated all of the previous signatures. Lets say there were 10 signatures, Acrobat (and when I say Acrobat I mean both Acrobat and Reader) would first validate signature one that's pretty straight forward. When it comes time to validate the second signature Acrobat would revalidate signature one as part of the signature two validation process, and then validate signature two. For signature three Acrobat would validate signature two, and as part of that process validate signature one, and then go signature one again as part of the signature three validation.

As you can see the whole thing got real messy with multiple signatures. With that in mind, can you let me know which version of Acrobat are you using and how may signatures are we talking about.

Steve

• 4. Re: Problems Opening PDF with Digital Signatures
                Bryn Banfield Level 1

I am currently using Acrobat X Standard.  At any given time, the documents we produce only contain two signatures (any previously validated signatures are only active in previous documents, and approver names are typed in).

Bryn Banfield

Technical Writer

Northwest Aerospace Technologies, Inc.

Direct: 425-740-3676

CONFIDENTIALITY: This communication, including any electronic files attached to this email, is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and protected from disclosure. You are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication by someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Northwest Aerospace Technologies, Inc. by collect call (425) 257-2044, or by reply to this communication.

• 5. Re: Problems Opening PDF with Digital Signatures
                  Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Are the documents being opened from the local hard drive, in the Acrobat window? If not, does that make a difference?

• 6. Re: Problems Opening PDF with Digital Signatures
                    Bryn Banfield Level 1

No, the documents are being opened in a shared folder on our network.  However, I was advised to try to open one of these documents from my desktop, which I did when we were first brainstorming this issue, and it did not seem to make a difference.  And, the real issue appears to occur when the second signature is added.  One thing also that might be helpful is that if I go into Acrobat properties and disable the Verify Signatures option under Edit>Preferences>Security.  Unfortunately, this is not a viable option for all of our users.

Bryn Banfield

Technical Writer

CONFIDENTIALITY: This communication, including any electronic files attached to this email, is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and protected from disclosure. You are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication by someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Northwest Aerospace Technologies, Inc. by collect call (425) 257-2044, or by reply to this communication.

• 7. Re: Problems Opening PDF with Digital Signatures
                      Bryn Banfield Level 1

Hi, Steven,

I thought I had solved the problem of not being open our PDF document due to the addition of signatures by removing the signature page, scanning it and reinserting it into the document.  The document opened fine after this but now is failing to open again.  We think that the stamp that Document Control added after the document published may be creating a similar problem as the signatures did.

May I send you a copy of the document for you to troubleshoot?

Bryn

Bryn Banfield

Technical Writer