8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 3:47 PM by TomWhelan2

Location for FormsCentral .fcdt files and source control

TomWhelan2 Level 1

I'm using the FormsCentral desktop app. I have a .fcdt file in source control, but when I open the form from that location, FC prompts me to "import the file to my workspace." My last changes were saved to a different location - already in the workspace.

I don't see a preference for that location, and I can't find a newer .fcdt locally on disk by Windows search. Am I going to have to export the form every time I want to save it locally?

• 1. Re: Location for FormsCentral .fcdt files and source control
          Pengpeng Sun Level 1

Yes, you need export form to save it locally.

When you open a local .fcdt file, FC desktop app will import it as a local form. You will not find any .fcdt files for the forms imported into your workspace.

• 2. Re: Location for FormsCentral .fcdt files and source control
            TomWhelan2 Level 1

Thanks.I see now that there is a control to upload a form or save it locally. I want to (always) save it locally, but that choice does not seem to be enabled.

If it's the case that the desktop app stores forms locally somehow as a default (a local datastore perhaps), that's good. It's just awkward that you

have to export. Seems like a hole in the FormsCentral workflow, at least for desktop app users.

If the source form data is actually stored in the cloud - is it secure in that location? Can anyone access it? In my case, the form isn't going to be

published on the web, it's going to be a PDF distributed with software media to licensed users.

• 3. Re: Location for FormsCentral .fcdt files and source control
              Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

When you use the FormsCentral Desktop app the local forms are automatically saved locally in a specific location that you can't change but I guess you could backup that folder if that is what you are looking for. Let me know and I'll point you to the folder.

Gen

• 4. Re: Location for FormsCentral .fcdt files and source control
                TomWhelan2 Level 1

Thanks - that would be useful to know. It didn't turn it up when I tried searching for .fcdt files.

I just located some files that look likely, in my Windows user directory:

Application Data\Adobe\AIR\ELS\com.adobe.formscentral.FormsCentralForAcrobat\PrivateEncryptedData*

Is that the spot?

If so, that explains why my search didn't turn it up. I'm still left with a pretty awkward workflow for checking a source file (fcdt file) into source control.

• 5. Re: Location for FormsCentral .fcdt files and source control

We do not save the files as FCDT.

FCDT stands for FormsCentral Design Template. It is more like an export format so that they can be used to share a form design with someone else or create your own template when you do have to create similar forms over time.

Your local files are save here :

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\com.adobe.formscentral.FormsCentralForAcrobat\Local Store\data

I'm not sure how you would use this with a source control though... you will notice that this folder has more than just the forms but also contains the assests are some settings.

Gen

• 6. Re: Location for FormsCentral .fcdt files and source control
                    TomWhelan2 Level 1

Thanks, Gen. Look like the path is dependent on the version of the operating system, ancient Windows XP in my case.

If the files in the directory you cite contain file that begin with "PrivateEncryptedData" then I don't think I can use them for source control.

I don't see anything obvious missing from an imported .fcdt file - it contains imported bitmap graphics and the data in pulldown lists is complete. Please tell me exactly what data is not saved.

So I think that an fcdt file is adequate as a file for source control (until you tell me what is missing). An author has to remember that latest changes are in the workspace, not in source control, unless you have just exported an fcdt file. That's a workflow that will cause issues, but I think it's OK for now.

It would be better if I could control how the data is saved locally in the FC desktop app, for ease of storage in source control and sharing. Consider that a feature request!

• 7. Re: Location for FormsCentral .fcdt files and source control

In Windows XP the path should be

c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\com.adobe.formscentral.FormsCentralForAcrobat\Local Store\data

You might notice that in that folder the images and forms are saved as separate objects and not all in one file like the FCDT file.

For local file the FCDT contains all you need. If you ever move to online forms and start collecting data then you will notice that that FCDT doesn't contain the data recieved but only the design of the form. In the case you move the form online then we never save the form locally so there is no way to use a source control to save the form other again than just saving the design format (fcdt file) and not the data received.

You can vote for a new request here http://forums.adobe.com/community/formscentral?view=idea (click on the "Create an idea" in the top right corner)

hope this helps

Gen