10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 2:30 PM by MarkWaldo

How do I speed up AE CS6?

MarkWaldo

Hello,

My AE CS6 is incredibly sloooooooooooooow.  My AE 5.5 is much faster, even with the same compositions.  What do I need to tweak in CS6 to get my performance back - (i.e., to get rid of the lag that I'm getting now when I try to do anything)?

Thanks so much!

Mark

• 1. Re: How do I speed up AE CS6?
          Ken G. Rice Adobe Employee

Moved from the Creative Cloud to the After Effects forum. They will be able to help you here.

• 2. Re: How do I speed up AE CS6?
            MarkWaldo Level 1

Thanks Ken!!

• 3. Re: How do I speed up AE CS6?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

If you give us more details, we can be more specific. Please provide answers to the questions listed here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743

• 4. Re: How do I speed up AE CS6?
                MarkWaldo Level 1

Thanks for your help:

I have had AE CS 5.5 for a year - no problems.  I just recently signed up for the Creative Cloud, and downloaded AE CS6 today.  I have an iMac with 16 GB of ram installed.  I started to work on a project today in the newly downloaded AE CS6 that I started last night in AE 5.5.  I noticed immediately that the program was extremely sluggish - just scrolling back and forth on the time line is extremely slow.  I will click on an event in the time line, and there will be a second or two delay before that event actually becomes active where I can work on it.  It looks like it buffers every time I make any edits, or even when I'm just activating different windows in the program.  I don't have any other programs loaded. 

As I mentioned, I have had no such issues with CS5.5.  And, since I've worked on the same project in both 5.5 and CS6, I really notice the difference.

I hope this helps. 

Thanks!

Mark

• 5. Re: How do I speed up AE CS6?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Show us a screenshot of your Timeline panel and your Composition panel, so that we can get an idea of what you're doing. Also, please answer all of the questions on the page that I linked to earlier.

• 6. Re: How do I speed up AE CS6?
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Any chance you have your comp set to Raytrace 3D? Other than that CS6 may cause something weird with your GPU acceleration, which could go down to the graphics part being defective. Wouldn't be the first time with an iMac, 'cos this stuff never shows until it's pushed to the limit and the GPU gets really hot....

Mylenium

• 7. Re: How do I speed up AE CS6?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

One of the reasons that I asked for screenshots was a suspicion that he had turned on the ray-traced 3D renderer. Screenshots will help, as will answering all of the questions on the page that I linked to.

• 8. Re: How do I speed up AE CS6?
                        MarkWaldo Level 1

Hey Todd and Mylenium -

I did check about the 3D rendering - and I'm using the classic 3d Renderer.   I'll get some screen shots and try to answer the other questions as best I can.  Apologies up front - I'm a novice in AE, so it takes me a bit longer to process your questions sometimes

Thanks in advance to you both for trying to offer help - it is much appreciated!!

Mark

• 9. Re: How do I speed up AE CS6?
                          Martin HJA Level 1

Hey MarkWaldo,
                          I'm gonna jump into the discussion, since I'm experiancing the same problem. Though I'm on windows:

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Intel i7-3930K @ 3.20GHz

Asus P9X79 Pro

32GB Ram @ 1600

Nvidia GTX 580 Phantom

256 Samsung SSD

Samsung 500GB SSD (Dedicated to Adobe Media Cache and Windows Temp file)

3 HDD(dedicated to Video and Project and exports)

You wrote ... "extremely sluggish - just scrolling back and forth on the time line is extremely slow.  I will click on an event in the time line, and there will be a second or two delay before that event actually becomes active..:" exactly what I have.

Todd, Mylenium:
                          I made two Vimeo Videos of showing the problem:

Hope finally can help us! Working like this is a pain!

• 10. Re: How do I speed up AE CS6?
                            MarkWaldo Level 1

Thanks for this Martin!  This is exactly what I'm experiencing as well.  Maybe someone in this community can tell us what to do (or what not to do) -

Mark