5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 10:51 AM by Theomat67 RSS

How do I change icons to text in the Control Panel?

Theomat67

Hello,

I'm trying to follow along with a video at Lynda.com on AI CS6.

However, in the video, Deke McClelland is showing the TEXT "Align" on the top Control Panel.

On my screen, it's not a text, but a small icon. When I click it, I don't get the same options he does.

I've searched and searched and can't find how to get MY screen to look like his. I have even tried to "Reset Essentials" (the workspace he's using) and still no luck.

Please help.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How do I change icons to text in the Control Panel?
          [scott] Community Member

The control bar will alter appearance of elements based on allowable screen size. If you have enough room, the entire (or most) of the panel options are shown right int he bar. If you have some room, a text link is shown. If you are operating on the lowest possible screen resolution, an icon is shown.

• 2. Re: How do I change icons to text in the Control Panel?
            Theomat67 Community Member

Hi Scott,

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated!

My screen resolution is currently 1920 x 1080 and that appears to be the largest I can have it.

I wonder if it just means I need to "uncheck" some of the elements in that bar until I see text?

Again, I'm grateful for your help.

Ted

• 3. Re: How do I change icons to text in the Control Panel?

Hmm...no. Reducing some of the tools didn't seem to help. I guess I'll keep searching for the solution.

I appreciate your help, nonetheless.

• 4. Re: How do I change icons to text in the Control Panel?
                [scott] Community Member

The align panel in the control bar is dependent upon the setting. For example, if you have one object selected and align is set to "Align to Selection" you will only see an icon. However, click the icon and change it to "Align to Artbaord" and you should see all the align options.

I think I may have had the order reversed a bit previously. On the smallest screens only a text link is shown. My guess would be the lynda videos are often shot with a laptop and a small screen.

As far as I'm aware, you can not change whether the Control Bar shows icons, or text links short of reducing your monitor resolution.

• 5. Re: How do I change icons to text in the Control Panel?

Thanks, Scott.

I spoke with Adobe (first by chat, then by phone) and they were not able to get me up and running (they even took control of my computer). She said she had it fine on her screen and that she was going to escalate it to the next level of support.

When I get home, I'll try LOWERING the resolution on my computer and see if that helps? I never thought that the software would be able to recognize my resolution and plan accordingly.

Again...many thanks!