3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 5:15 AM by John Mensinger

Document Sizes of a Layer

Seth Urquhart Level 1

I have an image with five layers and I need to know the width of all five layers so I know what sizes to put them at on the web as a picture banner (I have a limited width space).

Is there an option that lets you find out the width and height of a selected layer? I know of tricks to do this, like copying it and making a new image and checking the size there, but I want to know if there is a way to do this without creating a new image and just inside your own image your working on.

• 1. Re: Document Sizes of a Layer
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ctrl-Click the layer thumbnail in the Layers panel to load the layer's opaque pixels as a selection. Look at the Info panel to see the selection size.

• 2. Re: Document Sizes of a Layer
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

John Mensinger wrote:

Ctrl-Click the layer thumbnail in the Layers panel to load the layer's opaque pixels as a selection. Look at the Info panel to see the selection size.

That will show where the layer has pixels not necessary the size and the info will show the canvas size. Free Transform is more likely to show the layers bounds.  Photoshop supports layer of any size. Layers in a document can be larger then smaller the and equal to canvas size a layer can be partially over the canvas and even completely off canvas.

The web does not support layered image file formats and Photoshop ships with a plug-in "Fit Image" that can fit any image into an area for the web.  It can downsize|upsize image to fit within an area and maintain the documents canvas aspect ratio.  So you need not worry about layers all you need to to decide the area size you want to use on web pages and fit the your images to that area size.

• 3. Re: Document Sizes of a Layer
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That will show where the layer has pixels not necessary the size and the info will show the canvas size. Free Transform is more likely to show the layers bounds.

Not sure what you're getting at, but both loading the layer's opacity as a selection and invoking the Free Transform command predicate upon the same layer content criteria, and either one shows the size of the layer's content in the Info panel, (not the canvas size), when active.