3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2013 10:07 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8: Scene Markers Not Frame Accurate on Burned DVDs

Page D

I have Premiere Elements 8, and I have just begun to burn DVDs of projects. I have discovered that the Scene Markers I have carefully placed at precise points in my footage (such as the very first frame of a scene) are not placed at those specific points in a burned DVD of the footage. They are out by several frames either early or late, the deviation being fairly inconsistent.

I placed 8 Scene Markers in the timeline of the project I have just completed, and were transferred to DVD with these Scene Markers at the following points on the resulting disc:

Scene Marker 1 was 7 frames early

Scene Marker 2 was 3 frames late

Scene Marker 3 was 2 frames late

Scene Marker 4 was 5 frames late

Scene Marker 5 was 5 frames late

Scene Marker 6 was 5 frames late

Scene Marker 7 was 7 frames late

Scene Marker 8 was 2 frames early

I was not expecting any deviation at all. There is no frame deviation when editing footage and transferring to DVD, it is absolutley frame-accurate, so why is there any deviation on the resulting DVD when it comes to the placement of Scene Markers?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8: Scene Markers Not Frame Accurate on Burned DVDs
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This mis-alignment of Chapter Markers will often happen, when one is using any GOP structure material, like MPEG, MP4, etc. Chapter Markers can only be placed on I-Frames. This article goes into more detail on GOP structure: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2722687#2722687

If one has full I-Frame material, then Chapter Markers can be placed exactly on any Frame.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8: Scene Markers Not Frame Accurate on Burned DVDs
            Page D Level 1

Thanks for your speedy reply, Bill.

I think what I'll do, regarding the projects I wish to burn to DVD, is to place the Scene Markers, say, 10 or 12 frames "late" from where I would, ideally, like to have placed them, and then at least the resulting Scene Markers on the DVD will (hopefully) always occur just into the desired scene, rather than a split-second before, and so avoid the undesirable, and unprofessional-looking brief 'flash' of the previous scene which gets displayed first, when navigating directly to that scene.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8: Scene Markers Not Frame Accurate on Burned DVDs
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If I am using GOP material, knowing that that material's I-Frames might not be 100% accurate with my desires, is to always have a Dip-to-Black Transition to about 02 sec. of Black Video, between all of my Clips. Then, I can locate my Chapter Markers on that Black Video. This also gets me that Dip-to-Black (and back from black), between Chapters. I like the aesthetics of those, and the solve any GOP issue.

Those Dip-to-Black also cover any "black flashes," that one often sees, when the DVD player's head seeks the next Chapter. The black flash will come when the screen is already black, so no one will ever see them.

I use a Dip-to-Black in editing, to show the passage of time, and perhaps the change in location (or both), and as Chapters usually feature one of those, the Dip-to-Black is ideal. Within a Chapter, if I use a Dip-to-Black (passage of time, or change in location), and the passage of time is quite long, then I will increase the Duration of the Black Video between the Clips even more. Just one way that I employ Transitions, and especially Dip-to-Black.

Good luck,

Hunt