5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2013 5:01 AM by HHLtDave5@aol.com

Generic Error with Priemiere Elements

HHLtDave5@aol.com

I am beginning to shoot footage for a stock company and was trying out the trial version of Premiere Elements 11. I am running an iMac version 10.7.5 and the camera I am using is the Panasonic HDC-HS700 HD. I shot the footage in that then used the Aunsoft Panasonic ACVHD converter to convert the H.264 vodeo .mov format. This worked fine and I did a quick edit using MPEG Streamclip program and was able to submit the footage. But I wanted a more robust editing program so I DL'd the Premiere Elements 11 trail. The installation went fine but when I tried to drag or open the file I would get that a generic error occurred with no further explaination. This happened when I dragged the file in and also when I tried to import it from the organizer. I tried rebooting the computer but that did not fix the issue.

I had read that Quick Time needed to be a current version and I have version 10.1.

I can view the file in Quicktime and I can also drag it into iMovie without a problem. There just seems to be an issue with getting it to load into Elements. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dave

• 1. Re: Generic Error with Priemiere Elements
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure exactly what you were trying to do with PrE (the PrE 11 trial).

Let's step back to what one needs to do, to edit with PrE.

First, a New Project will need to be created. This can be done from the Welcome Screen. Locate and name that New Project.

Once created, and Open in PrE 11, there will initially be nothing showing - a blank Timeline.

Go to Get Media, navigate to where you media files are located, and Import those.

Then, from the Project Panel, with those Imported media files, drag 1, or more, to the Timeline.

For more background on working with PrE, Steve Grisetti has a great Basic Training Series on Muvipix.com (a sister site to this forum): http://www.muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=basic+training&btn.x=21&btn.y=7 Just scroll down to the Premiere Elements 11 Basic Training Series. That will quickly get you up to speed.

If you decide that PrE 11 is the program, that you want to use, I strongly recommend Steve's Muvipix Guide to PrE 11, also available from Muvipix.com, and Amazon. When you get past the basics, he has a great Tips & Tricks book, that is a companion, that takes one into the realm of highly creative and advanced video-editing techniques.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Generic Error with Priemiere Elements
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure why you converted the video -- but in doing so you may have actually made it LESS rather than more compatible with the program.

Your camcorder is perfectly compatible with Premiere Elements 11. Why not just connect it to your computer via USB and use Premiere Elements to Add Media from Flip or Camera to get the video to your computer? This should not only produce compatible video files, but it should also set up your project to work with it.

The only challenge would be if this is a multi-format camcorder and you're shooting in something other than 1920x1080 AVCHD.

• 3. Re: Generic Error with Priemiere Elements
              HHLtDave5@aol.com Level 1

Thank you for responding. To Bill I am basically going to use the program to do minor editing of exposure, contrast and so on. From what I can remember I did create a new Project and navigated to where the file was located. I also tried dragging the file to the area indicated. After trying to  open the video it seemed as if it was being moved to the timeline area but that is when the widow opened with the error message.

To Steve I converted the video because it was not a .mov file which is what the company I submit to requires. I recorded the video on the SD card then used the SD card in a reader to get the file to my computer.

I am wondering if the camera can be set to record in .mov and that would save doing the conversion.

• 4. Re: Generic Error with Priemiere Elements
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I still don't understand why you're converting the file if you plan to edit it in Premiere Elements.

AVCHD edits perfectly in Premiere Elements. Converting it is likely leading to your problems, since you're apparently converting it to a format Premiere Elements can't work with well.

Once you're finished editing it in Premiere Elements, you can output it as any format you want -- even MOV.

• 5. Re: Generic Error with Priemiere Elements
                  HHLtDave5@aol.com Level 1

Thank you I tried loading the video straight from the SD card and it loaded just fine. I will just convert it after editing instead of before. Thank you for your time in this.

Dave