Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp for Word vs for HTML

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2007 Nov 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am currently evaluating RoboHelp 7 and am wondering what the advantage may be to using the HTML editon over the Word edition. We currently use RoboHelp x5 for Word, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to stay with it.

Part of me wants to stay with Word because I am familiar with it, and because I think I will need to use its track changes feature as a means of identifiying changes for reviews and for translation purposes (i.e. identifying what has been changed).

Part of me wants to move to HTML though as I have dabbled a little in that environment in the past and feel I am missing out by remaining in Word. Also, (and I might be wrong here) but I think from a source control perspective it is easier to identify changes comparing HTML files than Word files.

I'm just wondering what others in this forum think. Why do you use the Word or HTML edition? And if you have changed from one to the other, what was your deciding factor in doing so?

I appreciate your time in helping me decide which way to go.

Cheers
Heather

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 13, 2007 Nov 13, 2007
Thanks Rick and Leon. Between the two of you my questions have been answered! Cheers.
(Sorry for taking so long to reply, I have been out of town.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heather

I'd say that it depends a bit on your output. If your output is anything HTML based, RoboHelp HTML hands down. After all, Word does horrible HTML. Why not use something designed with HTML in mind?

If you stick with Word, you aren't doing yourself or anyone else any favors. There are things that Word will do that will frustrate you.

Then again, that's just my opinion. Personally, I would have voted long ago to banish the RoboHelp for Word application.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the quick reply 🙂

My output will most likely be chm or some other HTML based output and PDF. To be honest for version 7 I've actually only looked at the HTML edition.....but then thought I'd better justify to my boss why I think I should move to HTML.....

....and then I got scared because I'm not sure how to manage the review process using an HTML editor. Maybe that will be another post.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it.
Heather

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 05, 2007 Nov 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heather:

We create Printed Doc layouts "on-demand" for our review purposes. From Window 2, "Print Document Content," you can select individual topics and/or "books" to include in specific layouts (as well as a title page, TOC, etc. Just delete the layout when you're done, or use it as a template to create other chapter/topic layouts. You can then use Word's track changes facility and just cut&paste any additions (and edits and deletions) recommended by reviewers

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2007 Nov 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Rick and Leon. Between the two of you my questions have been answered! Cheers.
(Sorry for taking so long to reply, I have been out of town.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp