14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 2:05 PM by Paul51639 RSS

Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video

Paul51639 Community Member

I have been using PremEl for some years though new to version 11. I have recently started using the Canon HFG20 and the hi def video is awesome but I have to downrez to standard DVD output often. I have used the in camera utility and the supplied software to reduce my AVCHD video to SD (MPG) but the result is not as good as video I shoot with an old SD camcorder. Specifically there is kind of a slight double image around objects which makes me think the issue has to do with the interlacing (camera's standard output per manual is 60 fields per sec which I presume is 30 frames) in any case I've tried flicker removal, rev field dominance, etc without resolving the issue. I also get the same result if I simply edit in hi def and then burn to standard DVD, Can anyone suggest the best shooting mode, conversion utility, or work flow, to use this equipment when SD video is going to be the final output? I do prefer to start with Hi def  video as some things will be rendered in both formats. Thanks for any input!

• 1. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video
          Steve Grisetti MVP

Don't convert your video before you bring it into Premiere Elements. You'll only make it harder to work with. Premiere Elements 11 is optimized to work with AVCHD video.

Shoot your video in Full AVCHD (FXP or MXP mode), then use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip and Camera tool to get the video from the camcorder to your computer.

Once you're finished editing it, you can use Publish & Share/Disc to output your finished project. You should get excellent results!

I have a similar camcorder and my results are terrific!

• 2. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video

I have tried similar pathway but used video downloaded with canon utilities rather than in PremEl, will try your exact steps, Thanks!

• 3. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video

Steve, I have followed the steps exactly as described and have the same result. I am using the auto setting on camera which outputs (per manual) 60 interlaced fields at 30 fps, followed your steps and output to both NTSC DVD, and NTSC widescreen DVD, in both cases I get the output described above, The High def footage is crystal clear but the standard output I have put side by side with footage from a standard def camcorder and therte is definately something not right about it, all straight edges have very prominent moving patterns on them, details are a bit more pixilated than the standard but the worst part is the double image shadow along the edges of every object. Any thoughts? Any project settings I should look at? Havn't tried shooting in progressive mode yet as I was hoping to use the cameras auto mode which only allows this format  (30 fps interlaced) output.

• 4. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video
                Steve Grisetti MVP

Have you played the DVD on your TV?

• 5. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video

Yes I've viewed it on both computer and multiple TVs and it looks the same, other thoughts? Anyone else getting this result with outputing standard DVDs from AVCHD?

• 6. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video
                    Steve Grisetti MVP

I don't know what's going on, Paul. Sorry. My results are excellent from a very similar camcorder.

• 7. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video
                      John T Smith MVP

I go from Canon Vixia HFS100 AVCHD to Widescreen DVD with EXCELLENT results with CS5 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694

• 8. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video

Thanks for the input guys, I have a bit more information, In my testing all I did was take a small clip from orig AVCHD video and burn it, no edits, no modification. I just did the same, from the same video, in Sony movie studio and it came out great, as I originally expected from PremEl. As prev mentioned I really like PremEl and have been using it for years and when my employer gave me choice of software ( I shoot some training videos) I chose PremEl without hesitation. I have to say if I knew this would be the result I would have chosen Vegas instead. Since you all are not having this problem I dont know if something in my video format is different (HFG20 is fairly new, anyone else using it?)or is it possible that some other program instalation changed the codec used to downres the output in PremEl? I really have no technical knowlege of how things work under the hood. I know I can edit in PremEl then burn with another program but would realy like to be able to use a simple workfow for simple tasks. Any input is appreciated.

• 9. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video

It appears I'm not the only person with this issue

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4831370

• 10. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video

For anyone having this issue, called adobe tech support who logged in and watched me process video, they had no answer to the problem and offered to call me back monday, tues now and no word yet

• 11. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video

over a week and no reply from Adobe yet, will attempt contact today, anyone have ideas?

• 12. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video
                                Richard Fisher 08 Community Member

Paul,

I have found that with interlacing if you  don't choose the right scan field UFF (upper field first) LFF(lower field first) when you

do your settting it will cause image doubling especially with any motion or panning. Setting have to match your cammera.

• 13. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video
                                  A.T. Romano Community Member

Paul1639

Back in your post #3 in this thread you mentioned your thoughts about trying the progressive mode of your camera, assumed 1920 x 1080 30p. Have you?

For the record, what do your results look like for your Premiere Elements 11 burn to disc DVD widescreen:

a. When your source media is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

(Project Preset = NTSC DSLR DSLR 1080p 30)

and

b. When your source media is 720 x 480 widescreen @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

(Project Preset = NTSC DV Widescreen)

For Premiere Elements 11, you must do the project preset setting via File Menu/New/Project. DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT 1080i30. And, remember to put a check mark next to "Force selected Project setting on this project" in the new project dialog before hitting OK.

as compared to what you have been getting using

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second (aka 60i) presumed with the project preset of NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30?

Also, for each of the different formats that you have used, what does a program like MediaInfo show for Scan Type, Scan Order for your interlaced 1080i - Interlaced and Top Field First or other. If the source is 720 x 480 widescreen, is the MediaInfo readout then Scan Type Interlaced and Scan Order Bottom Field First or other? For the 1080p30, is the MediaInfo Scan Type shown as Progressive?

Please confirm the file extension and video compression for each of the types? When you inspect the Properties readings inside Premiere Elements, do these readings agree with the pre-import Properties?

Thanks for the additional information if you have time. DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is characterized by Scan Type: Interlaced, Scan Order: Bottom Field First whereas the HD video is typically characterized by Scan Type: Progressive or Scan Type: Interlaced, Upper Field First. So we need to sort out the details and their relationship to the program tools, such as special project preset and field options among other things.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Canon HFG20 best workflow for standard definition video

thanks for your input, have not used progressive mode yet and will try to do so this weekend, as to project settings I would think that getting perfect output to blu-ray or avchd mean that they are ok no? I have output to widescreen and standard, on standard def dvd burns and results are the same, will gather the other data you request and appreciate your reply:     UPDATE re: ADOBE TECH SUPPORT RESPONSE, upon recontact was informed nothing had been done with my original support request that I was told I would be contacted about, I was then asked to do all the same things over again (I hate that!) and once again the support person saw(logged in to my computer) my complaint was valid andhad no solution and again told I would be contacted, that was last week and no word yet. I have used this program for years and despite any warts have been very happy with it, nonetheless it is very frustrating that there is no pathway in tech support other than for those who forgot to plug in thier computer or some such, no offense but foreign tech support reading branch logic off a screen and knowing less about the program than I do doesn't cut it.