2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 4:40 AM by jasonvp

Quadro K5000 for Mac Pro

Dan Wolfe

since the K5000 is now available, I'm considering replacing the ATI Radeon 5870 in my 2010 Mac Pro in order to accelarate my Adobe Apps with CUDA.

has anyone else done this yet?  I'm just wondering if it will be worth the upgrade price? ($2,200) I also don't want to negativly affect my FCP7 & FCPX perfromace on the same machine.

2010 12-Core Mac Pro with 64GB RAM & AJA Kona LHi

CS6 / FCPX / FCP7

• 1. Re: Quadro K5000 for Mac Pro
          Alex - DV411 Level 2

has anyone else done this yet?

Not on a Mac yet. The PC customer is happy with its performance in heavy AE and Pr use. The price bites but being a part of a $12K system and having it covered by the same on-site warranty the system is, was worth it for the client.  The fact that it runs cooler and is more power-efficient than previous gen Quadros and current GeForce cards, is a bonus.

I also don't want to negativly affect my FCP7 & FCPX perfromace on the same machine.

It might make them a bit faster but most likely you won't see much of a difference.  Adobe CUDA-aware apps will love it.

• 2. Re: Quadro K5000 for Mac Pro
            jasonvp Level 3

Dan Wolfe wrote:

I also don't want to negativly affect my FCP7 & FCPX perfromace on the same machine.

The previous poster summarized your CUDA question well.  FCP7 won't care.  If you're running the latest version of OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3,) the built in OpenCL drivers will take advantage of the K5000.  That means that, depending on what you're doing with FCPX, you may see some increase in performance.

jas