36 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2013 5:40 AM by Hudechrome
      • 1. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
        Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

Easiest way to install is to launch Photoshop CS6 or Elements 11 and choose Help>Updates...

For the latest camera support in older versions of Photoshop (CS2-CS5) and Elements see this article:

Why doesn’t my version of Photoshop support my camera?: http://adobe.ly/ACRandDNG

• 2. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
          pgrat

hello,

is there a direct link to download ACR 7.4 ?
          thank you in advance

• 3. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
            Yammer Level 4

See original post.

• 4. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
              pgrat Level 1

Ooops !

Thanks !

• 5. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                Andrew_Hart Level 2

Seems to me that a direct link was exactly what ssprengel gave us in his original post.

Clicking on it invites you to download the file "setup.zip" for either Windows or Macintosh,which once unzipped and the patch installer run you have ACR 7.4 installed.

But, and a big but, this install has corrupted my Bridge cache - I'm in Win7 x64.

When clicking on my shortcut for Bridge x64, I get this message:

"Bridge.exe - Corrupt File.

"The file or directory H:\My Documents\AshBridgeCS6Cache is corrupt and unreadable.

"Please run the Chkdsk utility."

Running chkdsk does not resolve the error message.

Examination of my Bridge cache folder reveals that all the normal subfolders (256/1024/data/full) are missing.

The strange thing is that if I simply ignore the corrupt cache error message, all the thumbnails appear present and the files open properly in Photoshop CS6 x64.

Another thing: the error message does not appear when opening Bridge CS6 x32.

This is just plain weird.

Message was edited by: Andrew_Hart

• 6. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                  Andrew_Hart Level 2

Running chkdsk a second time, from an elevated command prompt, and rebooting, fixed my problem.

The corrupt Bridge cache error message has gone and all the cache subfolders are now back and accessible.

Phew!

• 8. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                    pgrat Level 1

Thanks a lot !

• 9. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                      Yammer Level 4

Andrew_Hart wrote:

But, and a big but, this install has corrupted my Bridge cache - I'm in Win7 x64.

When clicking on my shortcut for Bridge x64, I get this message:

"Bridge.exe - Corrupt File.

"The file or directory H:\My Documents\AshBridgeCS6Cache is corrupt and unreadable.

"Please run the Chkdsk utility."

Running chkdsk does not resolve the error message.

Examination of my Bridge cache folder reveals that all the normal subfolders (256/1024/data/full) are missing.

The strange thing is that if I simply ignore the corrupt cache error message, all the thumbnails appear present and the files open properly in Photoshop CS6 x64.

Another thing: the error message does not appear when opening Bridge CS6 x32.

This is just plain weird.

Small consolation to you, but it installed without issue on my system, so it's possibly a limited problem.

• 10. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                        Andrew_Hart Level 2

Thanks, Yammer P.

From my post #6 you will have noted that I have overcome my problem with a second iteration of chkdsk.exe /f.

Question is, How/Why?

Yes, it may have been my system alone which suffered this odd treatment.

But AFAIK, chkdsk normally only fixes problems with the system/boot drive.

How it restored the subfolders of the Bridge cache on my H: drive, which is where I have relocated my Bridge cache, is a bit of a mystery.

Nor does it explain why I only got the corrupted cache error message with Bridge x64 and not Bridge x32 and why, inspite of the message in Bridge x64, I was nevertheless able to view all my thumbnails and use Bridge CS6 x64, ACR 7.4 and Ps CS6 x64 without any apparent problems.

Perhaps Noel might be able to venture an opinion?

• 11. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                          Yammer Level 4

Yes, I read your second post. All I'm saying is it didn't cock up my system, so it's not necessarily going to be a widespread issue. It could just have been a coincidence, or it exascerbated a pre-existing problem.

CHKDSK works on any drive, not just the system/boot drives. Did you read/save the CHKDSK report? Did it say what it had fixed?

If CHKDSK restored missing folders, it's likely that your file system had become corrupt, and it repaired your directory structure from a copy. I'm not sure how NTFS works, but FAT used to use backup copies.

It's strange that it worked okay with 32-bit Bridge. This suggests that there might have been an underlying issue with the 64-bit APIs. If CHKDSK didn't actually fix anything, it's possible that the APIs were corrupt in RAM, and worked okay after reloading, in which case it might be worth giving your computer a health check.

• 12. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                            Vit Novak Level 3

Yammer P wrote:

Yes, I read your second post. All I'm saying is it didn't cock up my system, so it's not necessarily going to be a widespread issue. It could just have been a coincidence, or it exascerbated a pre-existing problem.

I pressume it was tested on a number of computers in Adobe team and possibly elsewhere before release, so it's really not likely to be a widespread issue

• 13. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                              Hudechrome Level 2

Well, I am also having a problem:

Bridge.JPG

Now, when I open Bridge, it opens to the last folder viewed, any image is selectable, but if I choose another folder, Bridge freezes. Also, running the purge also freezes. After a couple of attempts, Win7 message appears confirming a problem and has set a compatibility function, but to no avail. (I also see the above message when bridge first opens. I did a chkdsk as well with no errors)

When I first opened Bridge right after the download and installation of 7.4, I did run the purge for a specific folder, which seemed to run for about 1/2 the folder when I got a BSOD; 0x3B.This seems to be a HW problem but it may also indicate software as well. Instructions included going back to earlier software if this screen showed after new software installation.

So, I am DOA in Bridge. I am downloading the update to Lightroom, but that's no consolation because I have Presets in ACR that I don't have in LR. Perhaps I can transfer them.

• 14. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                Yammer Level 4

Have you tried rebooting?

• 15. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                  Hudechrome Level 2

Everything. BTW, I can open any file in ACR from explorer. I may have to adopt Noel's methods but Bridge is rather important in my workflow.

• 16. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                    Yammer Level 4

Have you confirmed the cache location in Bridge & Camera Raw preferences?

• 17. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                      Hudechrome Level 2

Yes. They actually were different, with ACR showing C Drive and Bridge showing N, my preferred drive. I set ACR to N as well finding the proper folder. Still no dice. Reboot etc.

I'm going to try for C drive for both and see what happens.

• 18. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                        Hudechrome Level 2

I cannot find Bridge Cache on C drive.

I may need to set defaults but in my case, I cannot even do that! As I said in an erlier time, I cannot get bridge to open with default using usual keystrokes.

Bridge is broken. Severely.

I have to go off to work elsewhere, so I won't be able to work on this until later.

• 19. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                          Hudechrome Level 2

There is a thread in Bridge concerning rebuilding thumbnails that has some pertinent info. However, I really need to be able to get to default in Bridge. On the way to work, it occurred to me that I have Bridge enabled in Startup, which may account for the fact I cannot get to Default with hot keys. It boots too fast. I'll disable it and see.

At the moment, if I open Bridge, it opens to the last folder viewed. I can then click a file, see it on screen, open it in ACR and cruise around that folder. But when I click another folder, I get nothing but the hour glass. No circling stuff in the lower left corner, cpu is under 1% usage.

McCoy to Kirk: "It's dead, Jim!"

• 20. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                            Yammer Level 4

You can change it in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Bridge CS6\Preferences\StartAtLogin (REG_BINARY)

Change from 01 to 00

• 21. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                              Hudechrome Level 2

I'll try it.

I may simply abandon Bridge and go to LR. I haven't updated LR yet so who knows what evil lurks in the heart of LR update too!

Unfortunately, I have stuff in both Bridge (Collections) and ACR (Presets) that I would need to import there, if it will. Bridge and Lightroom ain't on talking terms.

• 22. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                Yammer Level 4

Vit Novak wrote:

Yammer P wrote:

I pressume it was tested on a number of computers in Adobe team and possibly elsewhere before release, so it's really not likely to be a widespread issue

Apparently, not well enough. It seems that certain conditions can trigger this problem. I'll go eat my hat.

I can't think what effect updating ACR would have on Bridge's ability to read its cache, which is basically a bunch of sRGB JPEGs and a database. Unless it's something to do with specific cameras, and/or their metadata.

• 23. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You would have to recreate your ACR-preset settings in LR and make LR presets from them.  I didn’t realize bridge had collections so I guess I abandoned it quite a few years ago in lieu of LR.

• 24. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                    Yammer Level 4

Hudechrome wrote:

I'll try it.

I think it should work.

If you can get Windows to boot up without Bridge, you can then call up the reset dialogue by starting Bridge with the Ctrl key depressed. Make sure it's the icon in All Programs, and not a pinned icon.

• 25. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                      Hudechrome Level 2

I posted the question in LR as well. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me.

Have you updated to 4.4 in LR? Any similar (or otherwise) problems? Nikon D7100 available there?

• 26. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                        Yammer Level 4

Hudechrome wrote:

I posted the question in LR as well. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me.

Have you tried the registry hack?

• 27. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                          Hudechrome Level 2

I'll do this as soon as I get home this evening.

• 28. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                            R_Kelly Adobe Community Professional

Is that standalone installer for camera raw 7.4 just for photoshop cs6?

If so, is there a standalone installer for camera raw 7.4 available for photoshop elements 11?

• 29. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                              Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

Checking on direct links for Elements. Stay tuned. Although, I encourage folks to promote the use of the Help>Updates... mechanism. A lot of novice users get caught up with not knowing where the direct download goes, how to unpackage, and start the update process manually - and they generally have a much higher success rate using the built in update mechanism according to our data.

• 30. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                                Yammer Level 4

Jeffrey Tranberry wrote:

Although, I encourage folks to promote the use of the Help>Updates... mechanism. A lot of novice users get caught up with not knowing where the direct download goes, how to unpackage, and start the update process manually - and they generally have a much higher success rate using the built in update mechanism according to our data.

It would be interesting to know how Andrew_Hart and Hudechrome did their ACR updates.

• 31. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                                  Hudechrome Level 2

Automatic Notification (Cloud Subscription). I was delighted...until I actually tried to use it.

• 32. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                                    Andrew_Hart Level 2

I did my ACR 7.4 update by downloading the file and a manual installation (using the patch installer exe) and NOT through Help/Updates.

• 33. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                                      Hudechrome Level 2

Ok I got Bridge to set defaults and it's building the Cache. The trick is to stop the preload at Startup.

It still would not purge the cache as a seletion in the default menu, but picking set to defaults instead od purge did the trick (so far)

Wait and see now, I suppose.

Thanks for all the help.I may move to LR anyway. We will see.

• 34. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                                        Hudechrome Level 2

The cache has rebuilt and Bridge now runs well.

I suspect that the cache was reset to default location which is C drive. I moved it to another drive and what happened is that ACR stayed at the alternate location and Bridge was looking for the cache at C. I set them both to C and it ran.

But I will reset it to the alternate drive. Much more room.

Now I am ready for the D7100.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

• 35. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                                          Yammer Level 4

Hudechrome wrote:

I suspect that the cache was reset to default location which is C drive. I moved it to another drive and what happened is that ACR stayed at the alternate location and Bridge was looking for the cache at C. I set them both to C and it ran.

I have Camera Raw and Bridge caches set to non-standard locations, but this didn't affect the update. In my case, both caches are on the same drive as the operating system (the C drive), as I wanted the speed of the SSD, but demarkation from the rest of the file system.

I also used the standalone download to do the update. So it looks like the installation method isn't the issue.

• 36. Re: ACR 7.4 Download Available
                                                                            Hudechrome Level 2

Yes, I have had the non standard location for some time now and went through the updates no problem until now.

Thr BSOD really bothers me as well. It didn't re-appear but...

Funny, but Bridge starts as fast as with "Start Bridge at Log In" enabled. Also, Win 7 Startup is now faster as well.

Message was edited by: Hudechrome