7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 2:00 PM by Rick Gerard

After Effects wont render in rectangle shape :(

brokencarr000t1

Whats up guys!

Sorry about my english , i hope you will understand my problem.

So ive used to have Adobe After Effects cs5 before i reinstalled my Windows 7. I recorded my gameplays from different games , but ive recorded with 16:9 aspect ratio cause i wanted to make it in rectangle shape without streching my footage , i wanted original shape, the reason ive recorded on 16:9 is cause my pc monitor is square shape and i want to put my videos in rectangle shape on youtube. So somehow i found option on AE when i render after effects automaticly change in rectangle shape from square and it was perfects, i used DVCPRO HD 1080 29.97 , so even if my project have square shape on AE its change when i render it. Now, when i reinstalled windows 7 i changed my AE to AE cs6 and when i recorded my next gameplay i put it on After effects in square shape and choosed option above but it render in square shape not any more in rectangle. What im missing here ? How to make this?

I hope you understand what i mean , if dont i will try to explain better. Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: After Effects wont render in rectangle shape :(
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

...i used DVCPRO HD 1080 29.97 , so even if my project have square shape on AE its change when i render it. Now, when i reinstalled windows 7 i changed my AE to AE cs6 and when i recorded my next gameplay i put it on After effects in square shape and choosed option above but it render in square shape not any more in rectangle. What im missing here ? How to make this?...

When you reinstalled software, you may have lost some of the settings from the earlier installation.  You may have to create those settings again.

At 1080, DVCProHD is NOT 1920x1080.  It is 1280x1080.  If you view it in square pixels, it is 4x3.  But if you view it in the proper pixel aspect ratio, it is 16x9.  This explains about pixel aspect ratio.

Have you tried dragging a clip onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window?  Are you viewing it in the proper pixel aspect ratio?  The switch is at the bottom of the comp window.

If you want to render in 1920x1080 you can do so: make a 1920x1080 comp, add the clip to it, and scale the footage to fit the comp.

• 2. Re: After Effects wont render in rectangle shape :(
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Dave said, read up on pixel aspect ratios. Computers only know square pixels.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: After Effects wont render in rectangle shape :(
              brokencarr000t1 Level 1

hmm ive read a little bit. But couldnt fix it.

So , i dont want 1920 x 1080 cause i will lose alot of quality. I want 1280x1080 but to render in rectangle shape not square. I did it before and i know i need to create some settings but i dont know how...

• 4. Re: After Effects wont render in rectangle shape :(
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Composition --> Comp Settings

Mylenium

• 5. Re: After Effects wont render in rectangle shape :(
                  brokencarr000t1 Level 1

yee but what setting ? ive tried every one and still alsways render in square :S

• 6. Re: After Effects wont render in rectangle shape :(
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

...So , i dont want 1920 x 1080 cause i will lose alot of quality...

So, who told you that?  The footage will be at its original pixel aspect ratio.  You will be rendering in square pixels, which most computer applications will read perfectly. 

And how did you configure your AE settings in the first place?  Have you forgotten how you did it, or are there other factors at work which you didn't think were important, but which have a very great bearing on the final render?

• 7. Re: After Effects wont render in rectangle shape :(
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's nothing that says you have to fill every pixel on your computer display with moving images. Movie theaters have masks and curtains to crop the screen for different projection ratios. Everything that is digitally broadcast has the same number of horizontal and vertical bits of data but only a few programs fill every one with moving images. Standard Def programs are cropped left and right by black bars. Cinemascope movies are cropped top and bottom. A huge number of programs are shot with custom frame ratios leaving black boarders around the picture.

If you want to replace the entire computer screen for use in some kind of training or some kind of production then you should match the screen dimensions perfectly, but to make a movie, there is no need. Very few people try. Besides that I have 6 different monitors hooked up to my computers and every one of them has a different screen size. It's impossible to build a one size fits all project for every screen.

It is also very important to know that certain delivery codecs are specifically limited to specific screen size options. You can't render a 900 X 530 comp to a DV codec because the DV codec will resize it to 720 X either PAL or NTSC height. It can't do anything else. h.264 is also very picky.

It would really help to know exactly what you are trying to do with your project. It would help us give you a solution that works for your application.