5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 10:42 AM by Dave LaRonde

newbie trying to change font color...

peenod

i tried changing the color in the text "chair-man mills" to red and it seemed to work in the comp (see chairman red 1).  i did this just by selecting the text and changing the color in the "fill color" under character tab.   but when i view it in the final render comp it is not red (see image chairman red 2).  any ideas what i'm doing wrong?  thanks, i'm a total newb!

chairman red 1.jpg

chairman red 2.jpg

• 1. Re: newbie trying to change font color...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Impossibel to tel lwithout being hands-on, but you have an adjustment layer on top of your otehr comps called "Color Grade". that is pretty conspicuous and may nullify anything you do in teh pre-comps in terms of changing colors....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: newbie trying to change font color...
            peenod Level 1

that could be correct.  this is a template i'm using and the template has a "color grade" that apperently controls all the colors in the project - but it won't control this text.  hmmmm....

• 3. Re: newbie trying to change font color...
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Perhaps there's some expression linking involved or a Color text animator applied to the text. Could also be a Fill effect or something on the text pre-comnp. Really impossible to say without seeing it. Just throwing out some ideas here...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: newbie trying to change font color...
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select the text layer precomp (layer 9) and press UU to reveal the properties. Let us know what you see. Layer 9 is a different pre-comp than the edit text comp you're showing in the top screen grab. Open up that comp and look for color controls, fills, or other elements. I'd bet that's where they are.

You can easily see the trail through your project by using the flow chart. I'd bed that the genecology of that text layer is something like this:

!Final_RENDER_Comp  --> !Intro_Scene  --> !Edit_Intro_Text_01

I would also bet that the intro text layer is used as a track matte for this box:

Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 9.07.55 AM.png

There's a strong possibility that you only find success changing the color of the text if you open up the !Intro_Scene comp.

If there is nothing you can change in the intro scene comp then check the flow chart and look deeper. If you are still lost post screenshots of each of the nested comps that make up the text layer with all properties revealed (press u key twice) and we will take a look.

• 5. Re: newbie trying to change font color...
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

... this is a template i'm using and the template has a "color grade" that apperently controls all the colors in the project - but it won't control this text.... i'm a total newb!

Purchasing a template is absolutely, positively NO guarantee of success with After Effects.  The people who make templates often assume thaat you already know how to use After Effects.... and newcomers rarely have a clue.

I suggest you begin at the beginning, or be perpetually perplexed by AE.