12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 10:43 AM by the_wine_snob RSS

PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download

whsprague Community Member

Last week when I clicked on "Help > Updates..", the Adobe Application Manager reported everything was up to date.

This morning it says there is an update, but does not say why or what it is for.

Why might an update be needed?  Where might I look for a description of what that update is?

Thanks.

Bill

• 2. Re: PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Bill,

That update is for ACR (Adobe Camera RAW).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download

John T Smith wrote:

All Adobe updates start here and select product - http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

Thanks John!

Not too long ago I think Adobe changed gears on updates.  You no longer go to the website and download an executable.  Instead they build it into the program's help menu.  Choosing updates loads and installs the "Adobe Application Manager" which automates the updates. 

Capture.JPG

Bill S

• 4. Re: PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download

Interesting list there Bill. This AM, I had my notification from Adobe Application Manager, and my only one was for ACR. Now, I do not have PSE, so would not expect to see anything for it on my machine, plus my PrE 11 is a fairly fresh install from physical media, and upon installation, I did install Application Manager, and updated at that time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download

Bill Hunt wrote:

Bill,

That update is for ACR (Adobe Camera RAW).

Good luck,

Hunt

I suspected that might be the case, but was hoping to find somewhere or something that explained ACR's use in Premier Elements.  The last several months I've been working on understanding and using Photoshop Elements 11 and Lightroom 4 where the ACR functions are plainly obvious.  It is not so obvious what PrE does with Adobe Camera Raw. 

There have been several threads here recently about slide shows, importing still photos, resizing and final slide show quality.  If the Adobe Application Manager wants to install ACR in PrE, it seems logical that PrE uses ACR.  But for what and how?  As you probably recall, I posted a reply to one of your posts where I spent most of a day trying all of the resizing suggestions and arrived at inconclusive results. 

Granted that none of this matters, other than curiosity.  I'm quite sure when I select "Update" all will go well and I won't notice anything in day to day use.

Bill

• 6. Re: PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download
                  John T Smith MVP

>Not too long ago I think Adobe changed gears on updates. You no longer go to the website and download an executable.

I am on CS5 and it has always been the case that when an update is available, I am told by there being a red A(dobe) icon in my Windows tray (bottom right)

OR - you may still go to the updates site manually, to download and/or read about an update

• 7. Re: PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download

ACR allows PrE to be able to Import Camera RAW files. It does not have the full control panel, that one would see with ACR in PSE, PS or Lightroom. It's a bit more like having a CODEC for Video.

As camera mfgrs. almost always change aspects of their Camera RAW, with new models (and also with some firmware updates), Adobe is constantly updating the ACR module, to accommodate new cameras. As Nikon just introduced a few new cameras, I would assume that the latest ACR update accommodates many of those.

Once, PrE could not deal with Camera RAW files, and one needed to process those through PSE, PS or Lightroom, and Save_As PSD, TIFF, JPEG, etc.. Not sure when Camera RAW support was added to PrE, but think that it was about PrE 9, or 10. I do not think that PrE 11 was the first version with such support, but could be wrong. Maybe a PrE "historian," can chime in.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download

Bill,

Here is a very recent post from Adobe about the new ACR update: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1183529?tstart=0

Hunt

• 9. Re: PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download

Bill Hunt wrote:

ACR allows PrE to be able to Import Camera RAW files. It does not have the full control panel, that one would see with ACR in PSE, PS or Lightroom. It's a bit more like having a CODEC for Video.

Once, PrE could not deal with Camera RAW files, and one needed to process those through PSE, PS or Lightroom, and Save_As PSD, TIFF, JPEG, etc.. Not sure when Camera RAW support was added to PrE, but think that it was about PrE 9, or 10. I do not think that PrE 11 was the first version with such support, but could be wrong. Maybe a PrE "historian," can chime in.

Good luck,

Hunt

So that might explain why my results trying your resizing methods did not yield any noiticable results.  With a built in "codec" of sorts, it is no longer necessary to go through the extra steps.  Perhaps there are "codec" equivalents in 11 for PSD, TIFF and JPEG too that were not there when you built you resizing workflow. 

Thanks for the tips!

Bill

• 10. Re: PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download

Yes, ACR in PrE seems to only facilitate the Importation of Camera RAW Images.

Personally, I like working with the full adjustment compliment in Photoshop, through ACR, then do a Save_As PSD, and Import that file into Premiere. There is just so much "processing" available through ACR in PS, PSE and Lightroom, that I do not want to give that up.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download

Bill Hunt wrote:

Yes, ACR in PrE seems to only facilitate the Importation of Camera RAW Images.

Personally, I like working with the full adjustment compliment in Photoshop, through ACR, then do a Save_As PSD, and Import that file into Premiere. There is just so much "processing" available through ACR in PS, PSE and Lightroom, that I do not want to give that up.

Good luck,

Hunt

I hand built an amazing home color darkroom in the 1970s.  It even had a positive pressure dust control system.  I could do up to 16 x 20 prints with medium format negatives.  I loved it. 

As photograpy transitioned to digital and supporting a family occupied my time, I gave up.   It was not until this year that I decided to look at digital photography with any seriousness.  I bought a nice camera, PSE 11, Lightroom and decent computer.  To say that I have a lot of catching up to do is puting it very mildly. 

I am drop dead amazed at what I discover every day. 

Some say that in retirement we need to keep stretching the brain.  There are days mine is ready to snap under the load of new information. 

Bill

• 12. Re: PrE11 "Help > Updates" lists that one is available for download

For good mental health, one should never stop learning. That is one reason that I spend so much time on the Adobe Forums - I am first here to learn.

Hunt