13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 6:21 PM by wm.f.carroll RSS

Manual Text Box

wm.f.carroll

Can I create a text box manually and locate it anywhere on the screen? Think of it as adding an annotation.  Tried to do this with titles and I can't move, resize and make them stick where I want them.

• 1. Re: Manual Text Box
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Welcome to the forum.

Yes. This is done with a Title. Just choose the Default Title, and then replace the placeholder Text with what you want, adjust it, as you need (Styles will be helpful here), and place it onto a Video Track above your Clips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Manual Text Box

Also, which version of the program are you usings? The creation of a Title has changed slightly with PrE 11.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Manual Text Box

Here is a look at PrE 11, and the two buttons, that can be used to create a Title, plus a look at both a Timeline w/ a Title above Clips, and the Titler Work Panel shown:

PrE11_Title_03.png

Hope that helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Manual Text Box
                wm.f.carroll Community Member

Hunt:

Thanks very much.  What I'm trying to do is a bit more complex. Under Text, I've done New Text and then Default Text.  Under Text, Text position allows three placements: Horizontal center, vertical center and lower third.  Once using that, I found that I could get handles to appear on the text box using CNTL but when I move the box to a point other than the default it does not reliably stay where I put it. 

So, if for example, I wanted a message to appear in the upper right corner as a square box, I'm kind of lost.

Additionally, there is no way to opacify the text box with a color fill in back of the text, correct?  I found a way to do that using Photoshop Elements, but I'm just asking.

This is in Premiere Elements 11.  Anything I'm missing in order to make this happen?

Once again, thanks for the response.  I'm learning PE11 under vaguely emergency conditions after failure of a lesser program.

Bill

• 5. Re: Manual Text Box
                  whsprague Community Member

The trick for moving the text box is using selecting the arrow.  Then put the cursor in the text box, hold down the left mouse button and drag.  Capture.JPG

• 6. Re: Manual Text Box

Bill,

I think that another Bill has given you the "moving the Text Object" instructions.

As for Opacity, you can alter the Opacity of the Title. For me, the easiest is to Select the Title in the Timeline, then go to Applied Effects Tab (to the right-hand side of the GUI) to open the Effects Control Panel, and there adjust the Opacity (one of the automatically applied Fixed Effects, that is created for all Clips with Video).

One can also Rt-click on the Clip's name in the Timeline, and change the Keyframe Display to Opacity, if it is not already set to that, then click+drag down on the yellow-orange line down. That line is referred to, as the "rubberband."

I like the numeric settings in the Effects Control Panel.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Manual Text Box
                      whsprague Community Member

wm.f.carroll wrote:

Hunt:

Additionally, there is no way to opacify the text box with a color fill in back of the text, correct?  I found a way to do that using Photoshop Elements, but I'm just asking.

There are three Bills in the discussion.  How great is that?

I didn't think I could do that.  So, I got another cup of coffee.

Create a title with the title tab.

Use the Arrow to select and delet it

Switch to Shapes, select one and draw it in the monitor panel. 

While still under the Shapes tab, click on the color pallet and pick one.

Go back to the text tab and make a new text box.

Using the arrow tool, select the shape and put it where you want.

Using the same arrow tool, select the new text box and slide it over the shape.

You can adjust the opacity on the Applied Effects tab.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• 8. Re: Manual Text Box

Yes, the Three Bills will get this thing sorted out, and in no time...

Hunt

BTW - You've got mail - check your PM InBox.

• 9. Re: Manual Text Box

Hunt:

Thanks very much.  I have used those steps and it gets a little better the more I work with it, but I'm still finding the need for some workarounds.  No big deal.  I appreciate the help.

Bill

• 10. Re: Manual Text Box

Bill,

When you have a moment, just outline what you need to do, and where you have to rely on a workaround. There might be something already in place, just not that easy to see. Some aspects of Titler are a little bit abstract, but once you get those down, things become quite easy.

As you are working with Titles, you might want to take a look at this article, as it covers a subject that comes up a lot: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4976998#4976998

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Manual Text Box

Thanks, Hunt.  I appreciate the help.  Finished the project I was on, but

there will be more, and I'll use the article.

Best regards.

Bill

• 12. Re: Manual Text Box

Dynamite.  Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks, Bill.  Now to try your other trick.

Bill

• 13. Re: Manual Text Box

Bill:

You're 2 for 2.  Great work and thanks.

Bill