2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2013 1:17 AM by Cooroo

Applescript: Working with text

Cooroo

My script finds blocks of text which are have the character style "CS-Descriptor":

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5"

set applied character style of find text preferences to "CS-Descriptor"

tell document 1

set myDescription to find text

end tell

end tell

This returns, e.g.

{text from character 1807 to character 1818 of story id 21888 of document id 19 of application "Adobe InDesign CS5"}

I now need to find more information about the immediate surroundings of this piece of text. Somehow I want to find out something like the paragraph number, or line number, so that I can find the first word of the line.

Can anyone help me get from 'text from character......' to 'paragraph 52 of text flow.... ' or something similar?

So far scripting ID my experience has been that it is much, much easier than I think! Fingers crossed it is again.

Sorry about Applescript - it seems to be dying out!

Emma

• 1. Re: Applescript: Working with text
          sstanleyau Level 4

Cooroo wrote:

This returns, e.g.

{text from character 1807 to character 1818 of story id 21888 of document id 19 of application "Adobe InDesign CS5"}

I now need to find more information about the immediate surroundings of this piece of text. Somehow I want to find out something like the paragraph number, or line number, so that I can find the first word of the line.

You can just ask for :

word 1 of paragraph 1 of myDescription

Getting the paragraph number is a bit trickier:

count of paragraphs of text from character 1 of parent story of myDescription to character 1 of myDescription

Sorry about Applescript - it seems to be dying out!

Nothing to apologise for -- reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated.

• 2. Re: Applescript: Working with text
            Cooroo Level 1

Thank you! That works perfectly and my (much bigger) script can advance!