5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 2:02 PM by resdesign

Need some basic help with a START Button

argoNY

I'm just learning Edge and am under a deadline. I'm reading as much as I can, but I'm not sure how to set up my animation and do a very simple START.

I can't show the animation because the contents are protected. But it's pretty linear. I have a beginning screen with a start image and some text.

I've set up the Edge file with about 10 layers each containing either symbols that animate at different points on the timeline OR

Combined moving symbols with STOP PLAY controls at different points.

I will add a preloader, then I want the START button, when clicked/touched, to begin the (approximately 45sec) animation.

When I try it with timeline actions or triggers, it doesn't control the symbols on the layers beneath. They play when the timeline hits' their play command.

Should I put all the different layers into one symbol? I really don't want to have to re-time all the movement. I've got it pretty much where it needs to be. But I didn't do it programmatically, it's all via transitions on the timeline.

Seems like a STOP in the first frames of the whole animation then a CLICK on the START button should work. What am I doing wrong? How do I keep those symbols deeper in the animation from starting til their proper time?

I hope this makes sense. I've been reluctant to ask, figuring it's so simple I'll find it, but many posts and blogs get too far ahead of me and I lose the logic.

Can someone help please? Just imagine a 45sec animation with shapes rising (like bubbles) telling a story. But all the shapes are different symbols on different layers.

I just need instructions to hold on the first frame. Should be easy right? I'm doing something wrong.

Thank you in advance.

Message was edited by: argoNY.    I'm going to post the animation for a short time. Hopefully I can get an answer and take it down quickly. Thank you all for your expertise!  http://golant.com/gci_10/ 

• 1. Re: Need some basic help with a START Button
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi argoNY

Do you have autoplay in your symbols? If you check off autoplay then you could manipulate them when needed from either the main timeline or something else you decide.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need some basic help with a START Button
            argoNY Level 1

Thank you for that. But I can only find the "autoplay" checkbox when Stage is selected. Is there a way to deselect it for each symbol? 

I appreciate your help with this. I know it's basic.

• 3. Re: Need some basic help with a START Button
              argoNY Level 1

Nevermind....read a little more and found it. THANKS. Will try this.

• 4. Re: Need some basic help with a START Button

Sorry I did not see your answer.

When you create a symbol, you get a screen where you can check off the autoplay.

4-3-2013 3-24-08 PM.jpg

Otherwise you can open the symbol and you will see the autoplay box in the left panel.

4-3-2013 3-25-50 PM.jpg

Then in order to play your symbols you will need to call them properly. The API is a great doc to use.

(very simple sample file here: https://www.box.com/s/344cva8fjwixbakeodhg ). The code for the symbol is on the main timeline.

Example: I have a symbol that contains a red circle called myCircle. With the code below the click event hides the circle.

var myRectangle = sym.getSymbol("myRectangle");

myRectangle.$("myCircle").hide();

or you could use from composition ready of stage:

// this will hide the red circle when you click on the symbol myRectangle.

sym.$("myRectangle").click(function(){

myRectangle.$("myCircle").hide();

});

Or if you want to play a symbol  name myelement timeline you would use:

sym.getSymbol("myElement").play();

or if you have several labels in that symbol, you could play them - let's say you have a label call   firstStop you will invoke it with:

sym.getSymbol("myElement").play('firsStop');

and

sym.getSymbol("myElement").play('secondStop');

etc...

If you want to hide a symbol, you do not have to use getSymbol. You can just use for the example above:

sym.$('myElement').hide();

If you want to play a symbol timeline from another symbol you will have to use different code. Let me know if this is what you want.

• 5. Re: Need some basic help with a START Button

Updated file with symbol 1 calling symbol 2 timeline:

https://www.box.com/s/lzz6sgr8p58y8q7231kd