6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 12:23 PM by JPELLAM@datalogics.com

Dynamic forms?

JPELLAM@datalogics.com

Is it possible to create dynamic forms using just forms central or do I need to upgrade to Livecycle Designer?

• 1. Re: Dynamic forms?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That depends on what you mean by dynamic, exactly. Web forms create with FormsCentral can use skip logic to dynamically control the form. PDF forms created with LiveCycle Designer cannot be used with the FormsCentral service. PDF forms created with Acrobat can be dynamic in certain ways and they can be used with FormsCentral.

• 2. Re: Dynamic forms?
            JPELLAM@datalogics.com Level 1

I would like to be able to select item x from a drop down and only choices (check boxes) related to x will appear

• 3. Re: Dynamic forms?

You can do that with a web form created in FormsCentral using skip logic. Skip logic cannot be used if you want to convert it to a PDF form via FormsCentral. Do you need a PDF form? If so, this can be done in either LiveCycle Designer or Acrobat, but a dynamic XFA form is more flexible. With an Acroform you're pretty much limited to showing and hiding fields based on the dropdown selection, unless you want to use templates to spawn new pages.

• 4. Re: Dynamic forms?

Thanks for the info.  Yes I prefer to have a PDF form as that is what I would expect since I am usinf Acrobat.  :-)

I am a little confused by your statement. You mention that I cannot use skip logic if I wish to convert my form to PDF yet you also mention that I can do it with Acrobat which is a PDF manipulation app. Am I mis understanding somewhere?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Dynamic forms?

Web forms created with FormsCentral can take advantage of a feature known as skip logic. Web forms can also be converted to PDF forms, but the skip logic functionality is not available when converting from a web form to a PDF form with FormsCentral.

You can create a PDF form in Acrobat, as opposed to FormsCentral, and use JavaScript to control the behavior of the fields. You can do what you want in Acrobat, have check boxes appear based on the dropdown selection, but a dynamic XFA PDF form created in Designer is able to reflow the form contents, which may be what you're after.

• 6. Re: Dynamic forms?

AH ok, got it.  Thanks!