3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2017 7:00 PM by Thom Parker

Javascript Search Engine

pdfUser1 Level 1

I would like to create a search engine like form. Let me explain. Let's say I have approx 500 items. What I would like to do is, on a single page, to provide the user a text field (not a dropdown box) to enter a item name or item number, a search button and a result field. A total of three fields.

Then have a javascript (possibly at the doc level but I don't know javascript) listing all the items with the prices. So, then the results would show in another text field when the user clicks the search/find button. I've seen something similar to this a while ago so I know it can be done.

If anyone reading this can provide an example as to the scripting and how to do this I would welcome hearing from you. Please help. Thanks. On a Mac and using Acrobat X.

• 1. Re: Javascript Search Engine
          DEM Level 1

Hi, I would like to do the same as you, did you find the solution?

• 2. Re: Javascript Search Engine
            try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This can be done using a custom-made script. If you're interested in such a thing feel free to contact me privately at try6767 at gmail.com and we could discuss the details, including the price.

• 3. Re: Javascript Search Engine
              Thom Parker Adobe Community Professional

This is absolutely possible, but there are at lot of variations depending on your setup.

Where is this set of items coming from? is it in the document? in an external file? on the internet? What is the format?

What options does the search have? for example, a whole word search, a multi-word search, partial words, wild card characters, case sensitive, regular expressions.

I've done this sort of thing many times, feel free to contact me for help.

1 person found this helpful