5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 3:04 PM by the_wine_snob
      • 1. Re: How do I make a transparent ghost overlay of 2 videos?
        the_wine_snob Level 9

It looks like the camera has been locked down perfectly - on a stout tripod, and probably with sandbags stabilizing that 100%.

Then, several Clips are filmed, with the actors moving about. My guess is that it was done with about 5 shots, with one being the background (no actors), and then two each for each actor.

Those Clips would be placed on Video Tracks above the background, and then their Opacity would be reduced to what looks like about 30%. Since the background is showing through the areas where the Clips above are mostly Transparent, it also shows through the actors. You might have to experiment with the level of Opacity, as it might be around 15-20%.

The key to pulling off such a shot is to make sure that the camera never moves - not even a wiggle.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I make a transparent ghost overlay of 2 videos?
          TheBoss2543 Level 1

I see what you are saying, I suppose it can be done with a minimum of 3 shots (1 background and 1 for each actor).

When this was shot, the camera was started down range before the shooter (actor) had started the course of fire. The camera was stopped remotely to allow the stage to be reset and then the camera was restarted remotely before the second shooter (actor) started his course of fire.

So lay down the background track, with each actor on a separate track (opacity @ 15% - 30%).

• 3. Re: How do I make a transparent ghost overlay of 2 videos?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Boss,

That should do it.

I would have loved to see more of that "fun run." Actually, I would have loved to have been one of the shooters!

My ex-partner, back in Colorado, was a practical pistol instructor, and he had a wonderful range, plus a brush run and a fun house. Over the years, he was the personal trainer to one world champion, and worked with a group in AZ, Gunsight (when Jeff Cooper owned it), teaching several tactical military groups, many law enforcement training officers (from around the US), as well as several actors, needing to learn practical pistol craft for their movies. He was the firearms consultant on Thief with James Caan. I miss my practical pistol work.

Good luck, and just be sure to lock that camera down.

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I make a transparent ghost overlay of 2 videos?
              TheBoss2543 Level 1

Thanks Bill.

I shoot USPSA and I'm looking to refine my skills. With the price and scarcity of ammo these days I need to find other ways to refine my skills in outside of live fire.

Always good to meet a fellow shooter.

• 5. Re: How do I make a transparent ghost overlay of 2 videos?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, if one is shooting, say .45 ACP, it IS expensive. Glad that I had a loading press, when I was more active, otherwise I could not have done it, even back then. Need to get up to the Ben Avery range, just up the road from me. Been too long.

If you ever get to see the Marine Corps Practical Pistol video, it starts with my petite wife and her Lightweight Commander. It was chosen because of her diminutive size, and how, with a proper Weaver, even a small stature person could handle a larger caliber hand gun effectively and efficiently. Assume that they still use that same intro video? That was also used in the civilian intros, as well, especially for classes with ladies, who thought that a large caliber weapon was beyond their capabilities.

Rather than ruining your thread, about a very viable technique, I will ring off for now.

When you complete your Project, please post a link, or send me a Private Message (PM) with the link, as I would like to see how well it worked.

Good luck, and sorry to drag your thread on a tangent.

Hunt