9 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 3:31 AM by AMULI

multipage site with edge

mirkom37125712

HI!

I have to create an html5 project of a site with several pages for the content navigation. I want to know if the best way to preceed is to make one edge project and make the pages within it (and separate it with labels), or make many html files as the number of the pages needed.

thank's in advance!

mirko

• 1. Re: multipage site with edge
          pinkstonms

could go either way but for updating and modifying reasons may make sence to break up into separate Edge projects or make it all straight up html with html5 assets as includes or iframes. If you have worked much with Edge you know the time line can become a little overwhelming.

• 2. Re: multipage site with edge
            heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

I personally prefer the 'single' project > labels routine and/or with thought-out project structure/(per page) Symbols can help streamline workflow.

Darrell

• 3. Re: multipage site with edge
              AMULI Level 4

Hi Heathrowe,

Would a 'many' project be better from a SEO point of view ? Could the spiders explore the different sections in a 'single' project ?

Gil

• 4. Re: multipage site with edge
                Departure Level 1

I am curious what did you end up doing, I am on the same page, the SEO team is requesting me multiple links and i m not sure what is the best way to approach it. How do u create multiple HTMLs from one single Edge file?

• 5. Re: multipage site with edge
                  shadowfax007

In general, multiple pages are better for SEO as far as a website goes.

With a "one-page" site, there is only one page for the search engines to add to their index (remeber, search engines index AND display "multiple pages" of a site, depending on which pages show up for certain keyword/ranking specifics).  Also, single-site pages can get watered down as far as keywords are concerned - it's much harder to target keywords when you need to use them all on one page rather than using certain keywords on different pages to improve rankings.

Jut my 2c - I've done both (and still do).   I tend to like single page for smaller, device specific sites (smart phones) but multi-pages for a full blown website... It's also easier for me to manage multi-page sites, especially if the entire page is done in Edge.

James

• 6. Re: multipage site with edge
                    Departure Level 1

@Shadowfax

How can i publish "multiple pages" from a single composition in Edge ? Do i need to SAVE AS the edge file repeatedly and publish each html package individually? If i do have a menu bar in my homepage does it need to be copy pasted in each page then ? I am coming from flash background and we use to load external pages as part of the homepage. Can i insert another EDGE project inside the HOme page for instance?

• 7. Re: multipage site with edge
                      shadowfax007 Level 1

Departure-

Someone else can chime in in terms of using the same composition, I don't know that answer.

As for my project, I created a separate animation for each page (index.html, aboutus.html, etc...)

The navigation can be a separate animation that is included on each page - this way you can mak changes to one animation and have the changes affect the site as a whole...

Dpes that make sense?

James

• 8. Re: multipage site with edge
                        Departure Level 1

I dont get 2 parts:

1 - Lets say on home.html  "about us" button is clicked, then the about.html must be loaded in the same browser page, this results in a jump or BREAK in the animation isnt it? because now a new html must be loaded in

2 - I guess you SAVE AS the home page to create sub-pages, such as about us, because somehow u have to keep the grids & Menu bars consistant in entire project. Is this what you mean by including navigation in each page?

Thanks shadowfax

• 9. Re: multipage site with edge
                          AMULI Level 4

Hi Departure,

Do i need to SAVE AS the edge file repeatedly and publish each html package individually? If i do have a menu bar in my homepage does it need to be copy pasted in each page then ?

As Heathrowe as pointed, symbols can help. For example, the navigation bar can be converted to a symbol then exported (click on the symbol in the Library, choose Export in the context menu). Then the ANSYM file produced may be imported into other compositions. A way to share an object across the different compositions corresponding to the different sections of the website. In each one, you can run a sym.stop("<sectionLabel>"); to display the state corresponding to the  section.

Something that is not clear in my mind : this is clearly a way to factorize a visual object between different pages at authoring, but I am not sure if it is also a way to factorize its loading on the client machine at runtime. Say it another way :

• Is the symbol described in the ANSYM file loaded once, then reused from the browser cache when other sections are displayed ?

or • does each new section display implies reloading and rerunning the code underlying the shared symbol ?

Gil