20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2013 11:59 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

New features in Pr - Coming Soon!

Jim Curtis Level 3
        • 1. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Looks like some neat new tools, and re-written tools. Will be interesting to see the full implementation, upon release.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 2. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looking back at some notes I made last year... CS6 was "launched" April 23 with actual product availability on May 7

Also based on previous statements about an annual cycle, the next version SHOULD be CS6.5 with CS7 in 2014

ADDED

Page 3 of the article mentions "yet to test" Adobe Anywhere... does not say it will be in this year's version, so may have to wait for 2014???

• 3. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
              shooternz Level 6

Wow..fantastic and exciting changes ...and definitely some that I have been yearning for.

eg Nudge Track Layers is a biggy,  Easy Waveform Display in Source another one. Handling of applied FX another goody. Audio Controls (MSR) in the layers as well as Clip Mixing.

What a bunch of great stuff Adobe.

BTW - I went back and checked that the article was posted 3 April and not 1st April !

• 4. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
                DerikSavage Level 1

Excited about all the new changes!  It seems like Adobe is really listening to its userbase.

One thing I'm not clear on though is the new Warp Stabilizer VFX.  Is this only going to be available in After Effects, or is it being upgraded in Premiere as well?

• 5. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
                  rejdmast1 Level 2

From what I read, only in AE.

• 6. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

No Craig, only I, and ProDesignTools, would do something like an April 01 post.

Now, if you posted on April 01, would that be March 31, or April 02 in the US?

Hunt

• 8. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
                      PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

Thanks for the link mark_m.

Here's what I think

GREAT NEWS!

▪ Dialog box for naming nested sequence when it is created

▪ Subclips have the ability to access media beyond original limits

▪ Through-edit indicators and Join Through Edits command

▪ Automatically import an exported frame or movie into the project

▪ Display project bin structure in Media Browser for importing elements of a project editing (Being able to copy/paste individual assets from past PP projects is fantastic news!  I've lost count of how many times I've had to open old projects just to find out what music/SoundFX I had used in them.)

▪ Rectified audio waveforms

▪ Keyboard commands for increasing and decreasing clip volume

▪ Audio waveform visible for nested sequence

OKAY

▪ Symmetrically trimming transitions (That's the way it is in FCP, so the change was probably done to please them.  Is there a way around this to keep the current behavior?  I never liked symmetrical transition trimming in FCP, preferring the way it currently works in Premiere)

NOT UNDERSTOOD

▪ Clip Name effect

▪ Improved multicam editing (I know about no more auto-angle switching when stopping playback, and audio meters now working in Multicam (Hurray!).  Are there any other improvements, such as ganged playback between the Multicam window and the Timeline, etc?)

▪ Timesaving editing features (Would love specific details since these are usually the things that make the biggest impact on my daily workflow!)

I'm thrilled to see so many things I requested during Scully (the CS5 pre-release program) finally addressed.  No doubt many others were asking for the same things too, so it was a team effort.  Of course there's a lot of things I would still love to see, such as Transition Presets.  But it seems Adobe is definitely on the right track: Listening to its users and addressing several of Premiere's main 'pain points'.  Well done Adobe!

Even though I haven't used FCP for years and years, I'm glad to see Adobe making PP as user-friendly as possible for current FCP users.  Why?  Because  FCP has always enjoyed tremendous support from third-party plug-in developers.  The more FCP users Adobe can entice to switch over to PP, the more developers will cater to our growing user base, and that can only mean more/better plugins and a richer/stronger PP editing community! (FCPX as an NLE option is now looking even worse than when I tried it out last month! )

• 9. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
                        Mark Morreau Adobe Community Professional

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

NOT UNDERSTOOD

▪ Clip Name effect

It works just like the Timecode effect, except rather than showing you the timecode, it shows you the name of the clip it's applied to.

• 10. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!

Thanks for the clarification mark_m.

Do you know if this and the Lumetri color effects are the only new effect/transition added, or are there any others?

What I'm hoping for most are:

1. Fixed Track Matte effect (so you can resize/reposition the clip with the effect without screwing up the composite)
                          2. Fixed Edge Feather effect (that never worked because it doesn't apply a feather to a clip's/graphics actual edges but rather to the edges of the frame)
                          3. Feather setting in the Wipe transition (instead of having that option only in the Wipe effect)
                          4. Integrated color matching tool (as FCPX users have to automatically match colors between two clips, and the new version of Speedgrade will have.  This would be great to have as a simple built-in effect though, with the option to open the effect in Speedgrade for finer control when necessary.)
                          • 11. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
                            Jim Curtis Level 3

Yeah, there are a few things on my wish list I don't see in the announcements. 

Track Matte is a perfect example.  The CS6 and previous iterations are near useless.

Another is the ability to save audio presets, and the ability to copy, paste, drag audio effects from one track to another in the Sends strip of the Audio Mixer.

I'll starte a new Feature Request list as soon as this new version is released. 

But, I reiterate that I'm grateful to Adobe for implementing some of my requests thus far.  I figure by version 10, it'll have everything I want.

• 12. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!

Hmmm... by version 10 of Premiere we'll be asking for native 16k video support on a cell phone and Minority Report hand gesture controls! hehehe

• 13. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
                                Jim Curtis Level 3

Version 11 will have a single button:  Import media and make award winning video.

• 14. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!

YES!!!! Can't wait for that!  I guess billing clients for editing 'time' won't be a good model by then.

• 15. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
                                    Cutwithray Level 1

Looks solid, but I was really hoping to see a new alternative to sub-clipping. Something along the lines of ranged keyword tagging, smart collections etc. Just the same way that Lightroom and Bridge and Photoshop Elements Organizer works. Sub-Clipping is fairly long in the tooth for todays file based work flows. All the new keyboard & timeline shortcuts are great, but I would prefer tools that help me organize, collect and mark my footage so I can work faster and smarter when looking for content. Prelude is not the answer.

• 16. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!

Hi Ray,

I agree with you that Prelude is not the answer to PP's serious lack of organizational tools.   I sent a FR asking that Adobe allows users to send clips directly from the Source Monitor (in/out ranges) and the Timeline (1 or more selected clips) to shortcut-enabled Bins.  For example, associate keypad numbers 0-9 to 10 different Bins in your Project, and now, sending in/out selections from the Source Monitor, or clips complete with effects/keyframes from the Timeline, to one or more of those Bins would be as simple as hitting their associated keyboard shortcuts.

This would be similar to FCPX's keyword collections, but far more  powerful IMO since it could also allow the creation of subclips with embedded effects (essentially combining the superior organizational tools of FCP7 and FCPX).  At least in the upcoming version of PP we'll be able to create subclips with flexible in/out points (thereby making subclips usable for separating/organizing clips into useful chunks).

I posted a thread regarding this here.  Check it out for more details.  Unfortunately the FR I posted got a huge backlash from users who didn't care to understand the request before responding, or who insist that other programs, such as Prelude and Bridge, are sufficient stopgaps.  We both understand that this isn't the case.  A fully integrated approach is much better in this case than having to rely on 2 or more separate programs.

Please send your official FRs to Adobe for this if you haven't already: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.  Lets keep our fingers crossed!

This is the last thing separating PP from being a 100% professional editing solution IMO, since so much of an editor's work depends on organizing media properly for easy access later.

• 17. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
                                        Taverino Level 2

For Lynda.com members, here is a 1 hour and 45 minute run-though by Rich Harrington of the new features:

http://www.lynda.com/Premiere-Pro-tutorials/Premiere-Pro-Technology-Preview/126763-2.html

I'm looking forward to getting the release, but also disappointed that project management for a large number of assets is still lacking.

• 18. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
                                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                          ...allows users to send clips directly from the Source Monitor (in/out ranges) and the Timeline (1 or more selected clips) to shortcut-enabled Bins...  For example, associate keypad numbers 0-9 to 10 different Bins in your Project, and now, sending in/out selections from the Source Monitor, or clips complete with effects/keyframes from the Timeline, to one or more of those Bins would be as simple as hitting their associated keyboard shortcuts.

It would be much better if PrPro users had an ability to create shortcut-enabled list of frequently used metadata keywords (keyphrases) with correspondingly assigned metadata fields. This way by hitting according keystrokes those keywords (keyphrases) would be appended to corresponding metadata field of the asset.

• 19. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!

I'm intrigued by the approach you suggest Fuzzy, but with that approach, how would you visually see all of your tagged clips?  Could you open separate Project Window bins to see your individual collections of clips in Thumbnail mode for easy visual reference?

If seeing your clips would require a new keyword search every time, then it would be a slower workflow IMO, unless PP allowed us to create 'Smart Search' Bins, that automatically collect and display any clips/media with a certain metadata keyword.  If that's what you're suggesting, then that would also be a great workflow.  I would still want the ability to drag/drop clips from the Timeline though, since although it isn't as quick as using keyboard shortcuts, it would allow users to create subclips with effects in any Project Window bin, whether a 'Smart Search' bin or regular bin, and wether that bin is already enabled with a keyboard shortcut or not.

• 20. Re: New features in Pr - Coming Soon!
                                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

I wonder why the suggested improvement is met with such a negative?

No, you can't currently see metadata search results in Thumbnail mode. Neither you can currently sort thumbnails. So what?

'Smart Search Bins', which collect something, are not necessary. Since the list of most frequently used keywords or keyphrases is already created, 'Smart Search' alone is quite enough. Why, for example, not to use 'regular' shortcuts for appending keywords to selected asset(s) metadata, while 'extended' ones with Alt/Opt key for appending to the search filter field? Advance that with user friendly GUI and enjoy!