11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2013 2:40 PM by Harm Millaard

GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?

terry23craig

Hello.

I mean for Adobe CS6 generally, but specifically Premiere Pro and After Effects.

I know the NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M is not in Adobe's official list of supported cards for GPU accelaration (although it is listed as a CUDA-Enabled GPU with Compute Compatibility 2.1 on NVIDIA's website). But I have the option to buy a computer with some great specs (Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM, 16GB RAM, 1 TB + 16 GB SSD) and its only bump is this graphic's card. And now I don't know which is more important for Adobe CS6: the aforementioned specs (i7-3, RAM, SSD) or the graphic's card?

My other option would be a computer with a GT 650M card, but my other specs would drastically drop, in that I'd have no SSD and just a 1TB 5400rpm drive to work with (rest of the specs stay, but I know that a 5400rpm drive is not recommended).

On a side note (also concerning these computers): is having a Full HD display considered to be important for using Adobe CS6, or will standard HD suffice/is it only a personal preference?

Any help is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With at least 1Gig of video ram, use the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file

• 2. Re: GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

For some light editing it may be acceptable, the CPU is rather slow, 16 GB memory is OK, and effectively a 1 TB 5400 disk, aided by a small SSD is not enough and the 635M is bottom line.

If you also want to edit full HD, you may want a faster CPU, like an 3830QM, a dedicated 240/256 GB SSD for OS & programs and a 7200 HDD aided by such a small 16 G SSD, plus a 650M video card or better. Take care you also have eSATA and USB3 connections for external devices.

• 3. Re: GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?
              terry23craig Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Harm. I don't want to edit full HD, so I guess a standard HD display will suffice, and maybe the CPU won't have to be as fast. I understand that those are some optimal specs that you've listed, but it doesn't have to be optimal in my case, as I'm on a budget. "For some light editing" sounds kinda promising, but would you recommend getting a better (GT 650M) graphic's card and lose the SSD, or stay with the 635M and keep the SSD? That's what I'm considering.

• 4. Re: GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I don't want to edit full HD

Well, what are you going to edit?

Or, put another way, what is the brand & model of your camera?

This message has a really good graphic about requirements - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750

• 5. Re: GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?
                  terry23craig Level 1

Thanks for the link, John, this is indeed really helpful! I intend to edit HDV 1080p videos and that's still in the "easy" section of the chart. So which would suit it better: 16GB SSD boot drive with GT 635 or no SSD (just the 5400rpm 1TB HDD) with a GT 650M?

[Edit: Oh, and to answer your question more specifically: I intend to buy a Canon EOS 60D to shoot with.]

• 6. Re: GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?
                    RjL190365 Level 4

Unfortunately, the Canon EOS 60D falls into the realm of "DSLR video", which is usually very highly compressed and usually use extremely difficult codecs such as H.264 AVC. Such video needs a much more powerful system than the ones that you are considering.

As for the display, be aware that many "standard HD" displays have a resolution of only 1280x720 or 1366x768. That does not meet Adobe's minimum display requirement of 1280x900 (in both of the aforementioned "standard HD" displays, both 1280x720 and 1366x768 fall far below the 900-pixel minimum vertical resolution that Adobe requires). If you must have a "standard HD" display, only consider those with 1600x900 resolution. (Of course, Premiere will technically run on systems with only 1366x768 or 1280x720 displays, but the program will become very frustrating to use due to insufficient vertical display resolution, as some critical portions of the interface will become semi-permanently hidden and unretrievable under these conditions.)

• 7. Re: GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would definitely go with the GT650 if you can find out what type of memory they used for the video RAM and hopefully they equipped it with the GDDR5 RAM.  Disk drives always can be replaced where GPU's cannot.  The GT650M has 384 CUDA cores where the GT635 says "up to 144" so you do not really know what you are getting and even 144 cores is puny.

But did you say up front that there is a 16 GB SSD?  That small a drive would be practically useless.  Check out the upgradability of that.  You will have a very slow system when you switch to AVCHD that I suspect is what you will have in that Canon

• 8. Re: GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?
                        terry23craig Level 1

@Bill Gehrke: Thank you for that straight forward answer, Bill. After some thinking I started leaning toward the 650M as well. What you're saying is very reasonable, so I think I might go with that.

@RjL190365: Thanks, yeah, I've read about that, and my options are between a 1600x900 and a 1920x1080 display, so it's good to know that I'm safe.

But the first part is worrying indeed : / Could I not just convert the H.264 into a more suitable format, or would that end with a loss in quality? If yes, then do you recommend a similar camera shooting a more suitable video format for my gear (with HDV 1080p)? Or in what departments would I need an upgrade (from what I've mentioned) specifically in order to edit DSLR?

• 9. Re: GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?
                          RjL190365 Level 4

terry23craig wrote:

But the first part is worrying indeed : / Could I not just convert the H.264 into a more suitable format, or would that end with a loss in quality? If yes, then do you recommend a similar camera shooting a more suitable video format for my gear (with HDV 1080p)? Or in what departments would I need an upgrade (from what I've mentioned) specifically in order to edit DSLR?

There is no free lunch when converting H.264 to an intermediate format: Either you need a lot more than 1TB of disk storage (depending on the length of the videos that you are working with), or you will suffer loss of quality.

• 10. Re: GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?
                            terry23craig Level 1

Can you suggest a link where the minimum requirements of a computer in order to edit DSLR are listed (or list them yourself)? I'd very much appreciate it.

• 11. Re: GeForce GT 635M for video editing: Okay?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Look under Popular discussions on the right hand side or in the FAQ section.