9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 7:27 AM by Compsol123

Fonts?

Compsol123

Here is the problem, we are trying to edit a certain page and when we do we get this error message does this mean the above fonts are not installed on the machine?CS6 error1.PNGCS6 Error 2.PNG

• 1. Re: Fonts?
          PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

The first screenshot says that there are 3 missing links. The second screenshot says that those three fonts are not available on your system which is quite explanatory that these fonts are not installed on your current machine. If the author of the document has sent you a package, then the fonts should be available in the Document Fonts folder within the package folder. Install those fonts from that folder and you won't receive these missing fonts warning anymore.

• 2. Re: Fonts?
            Compsol123 Level 1

Thanks for the help, the above fonts are on the system already.  And this document was created by us, we are just editing it.  When you say link you mean a path to another location like a URL?

• 3. Re: Fonts?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The first message means that linked content (File > Place...) can no longer be found at the location it was in when it was placed, or the location is no longer acessible and the there is no copy of the linked file in the folder withthe .indd file or a subfolder (as there would be if you were opening a package).

What Snath said about the fonts being available from a pacakge is not 100% true. Mac format fonts cannot be used on Windows, for example, under any circumstances, and Windows T1 fonts require installation in the InDesign fonts folder on the Mac, not one of the system folders. In CS5 and later it is not usually necessary to install fonts that are located in the Document Fonts folder in a package, but again, mac format fonts will not work on windows, and I don't believe T1 fonts of either persuasion work as Document Installed Fonts.

• 4. Re: Fonts?
                PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

The links may have been moved from their actual locations when you linked the files and hence they are shown as missing in the current document. If the fonts are installed already then are you able to use the fonts on a new document? Have you tried copying the text frames to a new document and see that they are missing inside a new document as well?

• 5. Re: Fonts?
                  Compsol123 Level 1

Ok so I copied all the system fonts into the InDesign font folder and reloaded the file and still got the error message that you have seen.  So I rebooted Windows and tried it again and I still got the same error message, so I made a new document and I made a text box and right clicked the box and went to font, and the fonts that were listed as a choice are the same fonts that the system says in unavailable and will be substituted.  I could not paste the text in the problem document into a new one, I did not know how.  As far as the missing links is there any way I can tell what links are missing?  Everything looks fine there are no missing pictures, text or graphics.  So I am not sure what the problem is.

• 6. Re: Fonts?
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Why did you think it was a good idea to copy all of the system fonts to the InDesign Fonts folder? It might make sense in some situations to copy specific fonts that show as missing, but not to do a mass copy.

I've seen cases where this sort of missing font error crops up becasue two fonts with the same name but different formats (typically at TT and a T1 version) are installed. It used to be reported with some frequency for Times New Roman.

• 7. Re: Fonts?
                      Ellis home Level 4

In the first screeshot you posted it says "you can find or relink the missing links using the Links panel". Did you try that? That's where you will find what links are missing. Once you you find them, using Find Font should take care of the missing fonts issue.

• 8. Re: Fonts?
                        Compsol123 Level 1

Ellis we will try that and see if we can get it working.

• 9. Re: Fonts?
                          Compsol123 Level 1

I think that will slove the problem in finding the missing data which will also correct the font problem, thanks for the help.