5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2013 7:01 PM by John T Smith

Building a Video Editing Computer: Thoughts?

LMVideo

Ok. I've spent the past few weeks trying to find a Power Spec computer to meet the needs of video editing... without success.

So, I've decided to build one. Actually, an IT/Computer-geek friend is going to assist.

QUESTION:

What essential components would you recommend when building a PC exclusively for editing video?

Photoshop & Elements 11

Win7 -or- Win8? (64bit)

Motherboard (?)

Processor (i7-3770k)

Solid State Drive (250GB)

-or-

HDD (1TB)

Secondary (internal) Drive (2TB)

32GB RAM

Graphics Card (1 or 2?)

(GeForce or Radeon?)

Power Supply (600w)

DVD Drive

Are there certain brands/models that work better w/Adobe Premier Elements?

Thanks!

John

• 1. Re: Building a Video Editing Computer: Thoughts?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That should be more than enough power. (I'd recommend Windows 7 rather than 8 at this point.) In fact, you could run professional software on that machine.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from?

• 2. Re: Building a Video Editing Computer: Thoughts?
            LMVideo Level 1

Hi Steve,

I've been reading through your's (and Bill Hunt's) many useful posts. Very helpful. Looking forward to getting your PE11 Book too.

Anyhow, I want to be sure and put the right components together to maximize the capabilities of PE 11 and avoid any conflicts.

Others tell me the same thing about Windows 7... Definitely sticking with that (Pro version).

Cameras I use:

- Nikon D5100

- Sony HSC CyberShot

- Panasonic PV-GS80

- JVC GZ-E10BU

What I'm especially unsure of is the main hard drive.

Some say SSD, some say 1TB HDD.

I'm thinking that if this PC is just for video editing (no other software), and I manage my projects efficiently, I should be able to use the speed of the SSD w/o files from PE 11 filling it up. Once I'm done with a Project, I wipe everything clear.

Thx again for the quick reply and your input!

John

• 3. Re: Building a Video Editing Computer: Thoughts?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

SSD drives still cost a fortune. You'll be fine with just a good a couple of good SATA drives.

I'm not sure about the Sony Cybershot. It may take MJPEG video, which is not the best format for editing in Premiere Elements.

But those other cams should interface beautifully with version 11!

My recommendation: Don't overthink this. Don't spend a fortune trying to get the hottest new technology. (Remember that whatever you get is going to cost half a much 6 months from now.)

That i7 with Windows 7 64-bit and two internal drives should be all the horsepower you need.

• 4. Re: Building a Video Editing Computer: Thoughts?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

I just pulled the trigger on a new laptop. With but a few exceptions, I went with about what you are looking at.

I did go with a large SSD for the C:\, and then added large SATA HDD's for a total of three.

I went with Win7-64 (just as Steve suggested, and per my research - also, the custom builder, ADK, refuses to use Win8 at this time).

I went with nVidia, as I will also be using PrPro CS 6 (actually the full Production Suite), and while Adobe IS doing more with Open CL with AMD/ATI cards, nVidia is still the GPU platform, that they are designing to.

When you add 1 - 3 multi-drives/burners (I like two DVD multi-drives plus one BD multi-drive on a workstation), I would bump your PSU up to about 1000W. Also, many PSU mfgrs. offer what would be considered "enterprise" units, often called something like "Gold," that has greater headroom (at the same wattage), plus better cooling, and duribility. A few extra $'s there, would be a good thing. If a PSU fails, there are two down-sides: time to replace, but worse, possible damage to other components, such as the HDD's, or the video card. Get the best.

In the case of a video-editing desktop, go for the coolest case (I don't mean decals and paintings, but thermal), then add the greatest number of high-efficency, low-noise fans, that the case will tolerate. That is another reason to go with the bigger PSU.

Around here, there are differing opinions on the I/O sub-system. I am a big, big believer that a 2x HDD (I use that term, regardless of whether it's a real HDD, or an SSD here), is the absolute minimum. I will not back down on that mindset. I also feel that a 3x system is even better, and will pay the premiums to get that. Just having a free HDD, to do Exports/Shares, can be a big boon to production. One CAN get by with a 1x, but I do not recommend it. For me, having that third HDD is worth the price of admission.

Otherwise, it looks like a great system.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Hunt

• 5. Re: Building a Video Editing Computer: Thoughts?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>custom builder, ADK, refuses to use Win8 at this time).

I find THAT to be very interesting!!!

I would guess that goes along with the "some" messages in this forum about Win8 problems, as well as a "few" similar messages in the Premiere Pro forum

Many (most?) people who use PrElements or PrPro with Win8 have not reported problems... but, as with all new OS releases, some people do have problems

My wife has Zero problems with Win8... but she does general office work and a house design CAD program, not video editing