38 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 10:33 AM by Evil Edison

HP 820 Configuration

zap-stream

I am specing with our HP Rep an edit system for CS5 currently.  Since we are a large enterprise, HP is really my only option but the Z-Series has only great reviews and I like the module form-factor, very MAC Pro like in their tower layout.

Base on what I know and have research, these are my conclusions.  Content being ingested will be 1080i HD from an NXCam for the most part.  Much of the output will be as H.264 or other variants to the web, both SD 4:3 and HD 16:9

-1- Z-820, Xeon E5-2630 2.3 GHz, 15MB cache, 6 cores

-1- HP 16x SATA Blu-ray Writer

-1- HP 22-in-1 Media Card Reader Kit

-64GB- RAM

-1- NVIDIA Quadro K2000 2GB Graphics Card

-1-  NVIDIA TESLA C2075

-1- HP 256GB SATA SSD Drive (A3D26AT) – (Boot drive with OS)

Would get two other SSD drives from another vendor since HP is pricey on their drives.

Ok So -

1. Based on my budget of about 5k, and specing a single proc Xeon but have seen different opinions on that CPU verses Quad-Cores, Net, Net all the 820's are Xeon and I need to use HP so this is really moot
      2. I know the GPU will not do anything to speed up rendering, only accelerating effects, scaling and rotation within the timeline and should manage 3 or 4 layers ok.   If however, each layer has effects, then the word was go with  Quadro 5k, or 6k
      3. If I plan to add a Tesla card to complete the Maxiums system, figure on a big enough power supply.   My thinking is, go with a Quadro 2k and Tesla C2075 to leverage the Mercury playback engine within Premiere - and with the Quadro 2k, it is a less expensive card verses the Quadro 5k, or 6k cards
      4. What about GPU cores verses memory bandwidth?  Is there a diminishing return with more cores? 
      5. Adobe seemed to think 32GB of memory was sufficient against disc swapping.  They did not however, indicated if 64 would be additive - this for Win7 Enterprise.  
      6. Since I've spec'd SSD drives I will have the fastest read/write option available within the form-factor

Certainly there are many factors, and know I've not covered them all however, appreciate constructive input

• 1. Re: HP 820 Configuration
          Alex - DV411 Level 2

-1- HP 22-in-1 Media Card Reader Kit

Being a USB 2.0 device, it's relatively slow.  If you ingest a lot, consider a SATA or a USB 3.0 card reader.

-1- NVIDIA Quadro K2000 2GB Graphics Card

-1-  NVIDIA TESLA C2075

Won't work. For a Maximus config with Quadro K-series cards, you'd need a Tesla K-series card.

On top of that, what's the reason for Maximus, vs. say, a single Quadro K5000 or even a GeForce GTX-680?  A Quadro K5000 will run circles around this K2K/Tesla setup; and  GTX-680 will run circles around K5K.  Either option will save money, electricity, PCIe slots.  GTX-680 - considerably so, possibly letting you get a faster CPU for the same budget.

-1- HP 256GB SATA SSD Drive (A3D26AT) – (Boot drive with OS)

Would get two other SSD drives from another vendor since HP is pricey on their drives.

That's a great idea. If I may propose to go even farther:

- forgo the HP SSD and get the least expensive spinning drive (500GB I think) for the boot drive,

- clone the original drive to an Intel 520 series or Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD,

- ...which will then serve as a boot/OS/apps drive as well as the caching location for Pr and AE.

A good SSD is fast enough to handle both duties (OS/apps and CS caching), and using a single SSD for both saves on precious bays and SATA 6G ports.

1. If however, each layer has effects, then the word was go with  Quadro 5k, or 6k

See above.  Quadro 5K and 6K are (really) old tech; Quadro K5000 and GeForce GTX-670 and 680 are much better options - for performance, efficiency, future proofing reasons.

1. If I plan to add a Tesla card to complete the Maxiums system, figure on a big enough power supply.   My thinking is, go with a Quadro 2k and Tesla C2075 to leverage the Mercury playback engine within Premiere - and with the Quadro 2k, it is a less expensive card verses the Quadro 5k, or 6k cards

If you do end up with a Maximus config, consider a more recent edition of it: Q4K or Q5K, and Tesla K20. Consider also:

• Tesla C2075 and Quadro 2000 - 6000 are really old tech. The current tech is Tesla K-series and Quadro K-series (K4000 and K5000 being top of the line choices).
          • Nobody ever was able to prove that for the same money, it's better to get a Maximus config vs. a single GPU, or that any current Maximus config was faster than a GTX-680 or 690, for Adobe purposes.
          1. Adobe seemed to think 32GB of memory was sufficient against disc swapping.  They did not however, indicated if 64 would be additive - this for Win7 Enterprise.

With Adobe recommending 4GB per physical computing core for heavy duty AE work, 32GB should be enough for a 6-core HT Xeon (12 total virtual cores) as long you tweak AE settings to limit the number of cores available to it. If you don't plan on heavy AE use, I wouldn't worry about it.

1. Since I've spec'd SSD drives I will have the fastest read/write option available within the form-factor

Where do you plan to store your media?  On a 2nd SSD?

• 2. Re: HP 820 Configuration
            JEShort01 Level 4

I pretty much agree with all of Alex's suggestions and would add - with conviction - take the savings from 64 -> 32GB RAM, no Tesla, no video card from HP (get a nVidia GTX) and use it to get:

1) a stronger CPU; if you are spending that much I would suggest the e5-2667 6-core (if it is avail. for the 820) or better still the e5-2670 or better 8-core as your budget allows

2) more drives; probably at least two 7200 rpm drives would be necessary to balance the rest of the system that you are spec'ing out

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: HP 820 Configuration
              Roger Averdahl

Based on my budget of about 5k, and specing a single proc Xeon but have seen different opinions on that CPU verses Quad-Cores, Net, Net all the 820's are Xeon and I need to use HP so this is really moot

Why are you going for the Z820 if you only are going to use one processor? You are paying lot of money to have the ability to put in two processors, and if you only want/need one it is better to buy the Z420, save money and buy a better processor.

The Z820 and Z620 is, imo, a bad choice if only one processor is installed. Those machines shine when using two processors, but with one they are equal to the Z420. The E5-2687W is a nice 8-core processor. (16 cores with Hyper Threading)

HP Z420: http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/workstations/z420_features.html#.UV6yljtAItQ

/Roger

• 4. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                Alex - DV411 Level 2

Why are you going for the Z820 if you only are going to use one processor? You are paying lot of money to have the ability to put in two processors, and if you only want/need one it is better to buy the Z420, save money and buy a better processor.

Roger: I'd normally agree, but in the case, will have to say something in defense of the Z820.   For one, it's simply better designed and better built.  Those who among us appreciating industrial design are more likely to choose a Z6 or a Z8 system.  Also:

• Better serviceability: swappable PSU, drive bays
                • expandability and upgrade-ability: up to 256GB RAM per CPU bank, three 16x PCIe 3.0 lanes (just in case, for multi-GPU configs like Maximus). Compare that to: two 16x PCIe 3.0 slots and up to 64GB RAM on the Z420.
                • power capacity (1125W max vs. 600W on Z420)
                • better cooling (compartmentalized airflow with more fans - yet still quiet)
                • case handles

In other words, Z820 makes sense to some, even with a single CPU.

• 5. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                  zap-stream Level 1

Alex and Roger -

This was  part of my thought process going in - start with a form-factor which not only would allow for expansion (internal drives, memory) but also provided beefier construction and larger power supply support.  Having looked at the 620, it has a smaller power supply however, I would be able able to add a second proc and Quadro K4000 as listed below.  Still would need two more SDD drives however, dual process with a total of 12 cores would be something to consider - this does put me over what I wanted to spend (as at listed here, likely would get for less once I go through our corporate HP rep).  Sure, I can get a SATA drive for the boot disc as suggested and drop the Blue-ray for the start.  I'd not want to go below a 2 GHz proc and less than 6-cores, so I do not see a lot of savings by going downstream on this config. 

HP Z620 WorkstationIntel® Xeon® E5-2620 (2 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores)
                  1$2,899.00
                  HP 16X SATA Blu-ray Writer
                  1$279.00
                  NVIDIA Quadro K4000 3GB DL-DVI+2xDP Graphics Card
                  1$960.00
                  HP 256GB SATA Solid State Drive
                  1$680.00
                  HP Z620 Xeon E5-2620 6 Core 2.00GHz 15MB cache 1333MHz 2nd CPU
                  1$725.00
                  HP 16GB (1x16GB) DDR3-1600 MHz ECC Registered RAM
                  1$500.00
                  Total:$6,043.00
                  • 6. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                    zap-stream Level 1

The E5-2670 Pro is available however, $4,300 (rack rate) with  16GB Ram and -1-  1TB, SATA 7200.   Agree it makes sense to go downstream to 32GB RAM from the start.  There are several Nvidia GTX cards and they appear to be positioned for the gaming vertical - they are however, listed on the Adobe site as leveraging their Mercury engine.  http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/mercury-playback-engine.html   Inexpensive cards however, usually find a price/performace trade-off.  Net, net the GPU is only going to assist in accelerating effects, scaling and rotation within the timeline.  I do not envision more than 2-4 layers of video with of course some effects and transitions so need to find the threshold for each card against this likely use case

Thanks

• 7. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                      zap-stream Level 1

P.S.  Would only go with 7200 spindle drives though only SSD since that is a no-brianer for data read/writes.  Tks

• 8. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                        zap-stream Level 1

Being a USB 2.0 device, it's relatively slow.  If you ingest a lot, consider a SATA or a USB 3.0 card reader.

Agreed, good point.

Won't work. For a Maximus config with Quadro K-series cards, you'd need a Tesla K-series card.

On top of that, what's the reason for Maximus, vs. say, a single Quadro K5000 or even a GeForce GTX-680?  A Quadro K5000 will run circles around this K2K/Tesla setup; and  GTX-680 will run circles around K5K.  Either option will save money, electricity, PCIe slots.  GTX-680 - considerably so, possibly letting you get a faster CPU for the same budget.

Unless this is kool-aid, had found several posts about the performance for a K2k and Tesla:  http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/05/choosing-the-right-gpu-to-take-adobe-workflows-to-the-max/   (" If 95% of your work is done using Premiere Pro, you’ll want to go with either the Quadro 2000 or 4000. The 2000 is an excellent choice for those Windows users on a budget and mainly doing two or three layers of video and graphics.")

Net, net - I only want the best price/performance ratio against 3-4 layers of video and effects..   I am not envisioning a lot of AE work, at this point no one on my team knows it and we have another department of MAC heads who can crank out AE if needed.  (No offense to MAC people, I have one as well)

- forgo the HP SSD and get the least expensive spinning drive (500GB I think) for the boot drive,

- clone the original drive to an Intel 520 series or Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD,

- ...which will then serve as a boot/OS/apps drive as well as the caching location for Pr and AE.

A good SSD is fast enough to handle both duties (OS/apps and CS caching), and using a single SSD for both saves on precious bays and SATA 6G ports.

Only reason I'd want HP to put in the boot - I want the OS pre-loaded and for them to assume warranty coverage - though will consider your idea.    JEShort01also  suggested a SATA for the boot drive - question, since it is not a read/write for a data-transfer am I going to loose significant performance useing a SATA for the boot?

> Have to finish later, wife wants to go <g>

• 9. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                          zap-stream Level 1

Alex,

What do you think of a dual-pro Z620 (E5-2620 2GHz, 1333Hz  with the Nvidia K2000, -1- 500GB SATA 3 10k, 32GB RAM?  I could add another K200 down the road, correct.  You mentioned the GeForce GTX680, it however, is not yet on the Adobe site: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/mercury-playback-engine.html

Thanks

• 10. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                            RjL190365 Level 4

Unfortunately, when it comes to performance in Premiere Pro, it is slower than even a quad-core i7, let alone a hex-core i7. In addition, that Quadro K2000 is slower than even a $100 GTX 650 due to the fact that the K2000 is a GTX 650 with lower clocks on both the GPU and RAM (for example, the memory throughput of the K2000 is only 64 GB/s versus 80 GB/s for the GTX 650). Dual CPUs simply cannot compensate effectively for such a huge CPU clock speed deficit: At best, CPU performance would be only 41 percent faster than a single CPU of the exact same type.

• 11. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                              zap-stream Level 1

Ok, so GeForce 580, unless Adobe has tested and can certify the 680 but not updated their site.

Can't do anything about i7's an option however, thought it would be better to have two procs with more cores.

• 12. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                RjL190365 Level 4

zap-stream wrote:

Can't do anything about i7's an option however, thought it would be better to have two procs with more cores.

You were wrong, in this case: That Z620 system would still be slower overall than an otherwise identially equipped system with a single i7-3930K CPU. This is due to the huge difference in the clock speeds between the E5-2620 and the i7-3930K: Dual 2.0GHz E5-2620 CPUs perform only about as fast as a single 2.8GHz hexa-core Sandy Bridge-E CPU. But the i7-3930K's stock clock speed is higher than that - 3.2GHz.

• 13. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                  zap-stream Level 1

Just saying I cannot get an i7 in the Z-Series from HP and I have to order HP

• 14. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                    RjL190365 Level 4

For the HP workstations, you are correct that the desktop CPUs are not available at all. Unfortunately, HP does not offer a cost-effective CPU upgrade option (single- or dual-CPU) on its workstations that is meaningfully faster than the original choice of dual E5-2620s: All of those options that are faster would have cost much more money while those options that cost the same or less would have been even slower.

• 15. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

HP does have good Z820 configurations and lucky for you, the boss picks up the tab. For around $ 20 - 30K you can configure a very nice system. Just tell your boss it will be around that price tag (without discounts) so he won't complain afterwards.

• 16. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                        zap-stream Level 1

Ha, would be nice to 20-30k and happy to have a budget for new hardware this year.  Now just need 30-40k for dual video encoders <g>

• 17. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                          zap-stream Level 1

BTW, thanks for all the thoughtful input, it is appreciated 

• 18. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2012/09/premiere-pro-cs6-6-0-2-update-hidpi-for-retina- display-bug-fixes-and-new-supported-gpus.html

features added or changed in this update

added GPUs to the list of those that Premiere Pro CS6 will use for GPU processing: GT 650M (which is in the newer MacBook Pro computers) and GTX 680

Eric

ADK

• 19. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                              lasvideo Level 4

Zap, heres some real info from someone that bought a system. It was listed for about $14,000. I got about a 28% discount and free delivery. Some responses you read hear are from home builders with an axe to grind against professional grade equipment.

Screen Shot 2013-04-11 at 7.20.33 PM.png

• 20. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Often each client has specific requirements in mind when they are looking for an editing solution. Some of those requirements can only be acquired with custom builds either with their own time/knowledge or another's. Some of those requirements are best suited with the major OEM's. However if the major OEM's provided the only professional solutions out then the Channel of system configurators would not exist. As of right now the Channel does exist and has grown in market share over the Major OEM's for the last several years. Why is simply the ability to adapt to the client's requirements quickly with the added advantage of providing personal sales/service support specific to the clients's business or workflow. Professionalism is not simply defined by the hardware solution provided which really can be provided by anyone since the hardware pool is worldwide now. Professionalism is now defined by providing clients specific solutions both product and service, based on the requirements and workflow of the client or business. Simply put providing the means and resources to accomplish the mission most effectively and efficiently is now the bar for professionalism.

Eric

ADK

• 21. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                  zap-stream Level 1

Having our HP Rep spec out the following quote for a daul proc 620:

Product Number

Bill of Material

LJ450AV

HP Z620 Workstation

QG055AV

HP Single Unit Packaging

QF961AV

HP Z620 800W 90% Efficient Chassis

C4H29AV#ABA

Win8 Pro 64 downgrade to Win7 Pro 64

QE249AV

Windows 7 64 Bit Factory Image Recovery

A2A02AV

Xeon E5-1650 6C 3.20 12MB 1600 CPU

QG074AV

32GB DDR3-1600 (8x4GB) 1CPU RAM

QF965AV

HP No Graphics Option

B8W67AV

500GB 10K RPM SATA SFF 1st HDD

A8Z53AV#ABA

HP USB Keyboard

A8Z55AV

HP USB Optical Mouse

QG052AV

HP SATA Blu-ray Writer 1st Drive

B2L50AV#ABA

HP 3-3-3 Warranty

LJ451AV#ABA

HP Z620 Country Kit

Would get a GPU from another source, perhaps the GTX 680 as well as two SDD drives for media.

• 22. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

A GTX 680 is overkill on such a system with such a weak disk setup and without overclocking, even with 2 SSD's and a Velociraptor. A GTX 650 Ti Boost is sufficient.

• 23. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                      RjL190365 Level 4

Wrong CPU. The E5-16xx CPU is only uniprocessor capable. Dual E5-16xx CPUs are not supported at all in any single system - only a single E5-16xx CPU is supported at all. You will need the dual-CPU-capable E5-26xx line if you want to configure a dual-CPU system.

• 24. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                        Evil Edison Level 1

Zap, are you going to use the 500GB 10K for your main system drive?  Personally I would recommend a SSD drive, or better yet put two SSD's together in a Raid 0 for an even faster system.  Just use this drive for your OS and apps and pick up another one for everything else (maybe a 2TB Western Digital Black or a Seagate Barracuda).  IMO there is no better upgrade than an SSD system drive.

For what it's worth, I use an HP 820 at work and a home built 3930K at home.  Honestly, I wouldn't exactly say the z820 blows my home system away. There are definitely some areas in which it is an absolute monster, particularly transcoding and such, but as far as Premiere goes, I can barely tell the difference.  I say this, bc I wonder if you might consider another builder for your system.  There are a number of companies that specialize in video workstations that might offer better configurations in your price range.  A 3930K system would give you as much power as the processor in your quote above and could be overclocked if you wanted.  I don't overclock my home system, but it's nice to have the option.  One other argument in favor of the "video specialists" is that they are more familiar with video setups when it comes to support.  Don't get me wrong, HP support is fantastic but they don't always understand "our world". And definitely go for the 680GTX.  As Harm says, it may be overkill for Premiere but it would serve you well in After Effects, especially if you're going to use the 3D renderer or products like Element 3D.

1 person found this helpful
                                                        • 25. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                          zap-stream Level 1

Other's had suggested a SATA-3 for the boot drive.  I had planned all along to get SSD for the media drives.

From Alex

• 26. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                            Evil Edison Level 1

Alex probably recommended that b/c the Intel drive's are very overpriced from HP and you're better off just putting in your own lower priced SSD.  Whether you get HPs or your own, you're definitely better off with an SSD boot drive (as you originally planned).

Are you going to set up an external raid of some kind or are you going to put all your media on internal SSDs?

• 27. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                              Alex - DV411 Level 2

Alex probably recommended that b/c the Intel drive's are very overpriced from HP and you're better off just putting in your own lower priced SSD.

Exactly.  That - and the fact that 512GB SSDs were not available from HP last time I checked.

• 28. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                                Alex - DV411 Level 2

Having our HP Rep spec out the following quote for a daul proc 620

What's your reason to go with the Z620 vs. Z820?  I saw that you mentioned (some of) the differences above, but didn't see you mentioning the reason for a switch.  Z620 makes very little sense to me, given that's less expandable than a Z420, and costs as much as a Z820.

RJL is right that E5-1600 series don't support dual CPU configurations; strange to see HP quoting a single such processor as a "dual proc" system. Are you getting this quote from HP directly, or from a reseller?

• 29. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

HP does have good Z820 configurations and lucky for you, the boss picks up the tab. For around $ 20 - 30K you can configure a very nice system. Just tell your boss it will be around that price tag (without discounts) so he won't complain afterwards.

Harm, you could configure a Z820 even for $50K if you were bent on it.  Will it be any better for editing than lasvideo's one for $10K?  Highly unlikely. Perhaps if you haven't worked with one, never assembled one, never supported one, it's best to leave this topic to someone who has?

• 30. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

I wonder if you might consider another builder for your system.

OP (Zap) mentioned at least three times he has to go with HP.

Purely on cost - DIY systems always win.  Where design, engineering, serviceability, warranty options, support come in play, Tier 1 systems often have an upper hand.  In enterprise environment - it's often a waste of money to go the DIY route because standardizing is the name of the enterprise game, and DIY ain't playing it.

Another angle at it: it costs $150-200K to employ an editor or VFX artist, often more: salary, benefits, workspace, insurance, administrative overhead.  Why on earth would you try to save even $10K (that you only have to spend once in 2-3 years) when you could get a well recommended, well supported, well known system that also is recommended by virtually all VFX/DCC vendors including Adobe, and is uniformly used in post, production and broadcast?  $10K is peanuts in a 2-year lifecycle of a system in a studio or post shop environment, and not worth fiddling with.

Don't get me wrong: if editing is your hobby, or you have the time to fiddle with DIY designs, or you have to squeeze the last ounce of performance out of the system while counting the pennies (like with Harm's monster), DIY is the route you take.  For most professional and enterprise environments, the common choice is Tier 1, for a good reason.

One other argument in favor of the "video specialists" is that they are more familiar with video setups when it comes to support.

Video specialists work with Tier 1 as well.

• 31. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                                      Evil Edison Level 1

No, I get that he doesn't want to build it himself.  I was only wondering if he could go with another reputable builder that offered some options other than the Xeon processor.  If he was going to spend 10K, then sure the top of the line z820 is a good choice.  But he has also said his budget is only $5K and the single processor system he has selected above is on par with a 3930K.  I completely understand the need to have a certified system with strong support behind it vs a home built system. Just wasn't sure why he was bound to HP when there are some other options out there, especially in his price range. 

• 32. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                                        zap-stream Level 1

You are correct, I do not want to build a system -  not that I have not done before and have enjoyed however, I do not have the time and more importantly as part of a large corporation, I need the security of service/support from one vendor. 

In addition, HP is a strategic partner of the firm-all office machines are HP and I deal directly with the Enterprise HP Rep, hence aggressive pricing and as mentioned service/support.  I could go off the farm and go MAC however, I would want to wait at until June/July when Apple is due to refresh their MacPro tower - or so my sources tell me.

Had looked at companies like ProMax and pretty sure they will top over my 5k budget.   http://www.promax.com/s-17-adobe-pc-editing-system.aspx The are of course dozens of other VAR's such as ADK and their QuadCore is very configurable however, never heard of them http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=90

• 33. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                                          Evil Edison Level 1

Makes sense.  Definitely good to have someone else to blame when things go wrong.  That is the major drawback of the home built system (having only yourself to blame).  I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of an HP system. I think they are solid, well made machines.  Even our resident Mac-head was gawking in wonder at the construction of our z820.  I just think, as others have mentioned, having a single CPU Xeon system is a bit of a waste considering that the primary advantage of Xeon is it's ability to work in multi CPU systems.  Putting your money towards maximizing a single CPU system would give you more bang for your buck. 

I was actually thinking of ADK as another option.  For fun, I priced out a system for $5K that covered all the bullet points: 680GTX, dual SSD system+scratch drive, 2TB Sata, best available warranty, fastest available CPU, and various other minor options.  It would be good-to-go right out of the box and you wouldn't have to order redundant parts or replace the OS on a new drive.  Don't have any personal experience with ADK, but I'm sure there are others on this board who could sway you one way or another.

Either way, it seems like you're about to end up with a nice new system.  New computers are always a good thing.

• 34. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                                            zap-stream Level 1

Roger, roger.   makes sense

• 35. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                                              zap-stream Level 1

Thought a SATA-3 would be good enough, lower cost for the boot/OS but good point to get a cheaper solution than from HP.   For render/storage, was planning initially to get two internal SSD's, not from HP and would RAID-0 them together.

The ProMax line does look very nice and offers integration with Black Magic and other cards for good video I/O and something to consider.  My department has a SONY NXCam so I could go SDI out however, I also have the removable HDD for it and could simply connect via the supplied cable - might not be USB-3 so slower data transfer.  Might spec a system with them for S n' G's as I'd gather they would be around for a while.

I had started with the 820 since I liked the form-factor a lot however, it would be a bit too pricey for a dual-proc, hence going downstream to the 620.  That said, my HP rep did not indicate the above listed CPU (E5-16xx) was uniprocessor, goes to your point about working with video geeks...

• 36. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                                                Evil Edison Level 1

No, SSD is the way to go for system drive.  I'm so used to it now that I sometimes think my MacBook Pro is broken due to it's lousy SATA boot drive (future upgrade for sure).  SSD Raid is even better.  I get read times around 1GB/s.  After effects (loaded down with plugins) opens in less than ten seconds vs. my MBP which takes so long I feel like I could go make a sandwich and watch an episode of Walking Dead.  If you do go that route, get another internal SATA and make a regular bootable clone of your system drive in case your raid fails.  It's unlikely, but a little paranoia never hurts.  I use XXClone to back things up but there are other options.

SSD Raid 0 will definitely give you a fast drive for rendering and storage.  For most things, one SSD is actually fast enough.  The only downside is that you won't have a lot of capacity for the money.  You'll be fine if you're working on quick turnaround short form stuff that you can take off the drive when you're done.  But if you do long form or have a lot of projects that linger for any length of time, you'll fill your drive up pretty quick. 

• 37. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                                                  zap-stream Level 1

Did not mean to imply non-ssd for boot.  would go with lower priced ssd for boot per suggestions here.

True, giving up space for speed - not planning anything long-form, mostly trailers to start with

Can always add storage externally later on, FY14 budget, lol

• 38. Re: HP 820 Configuration
                                                                                    Evil Edison Level 1

Yep, this time next year, you can hit the boss up for a nice external raid.  Tell him/her it will boost your productivity and increase profits.  In the interim, you could go with an external esata solution like G-Raid.  I have pretty good luck with the one I have at home.  You won't get a ton of speed out of them (@200MB/s), but they're good for one or two streams of 1080p.  I think you can get a 6TB for under a $1000.  Or there are smaller capacity versions that are a lot cheaper.