4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 5:39 PM by BenjaminMarkus

Quick Question

Quantum_Effects

Hello, I own After Effects CS4 and was curious on how to cut out a spot of a video but for only one frame. Also, maybe I could cover the area that I want for the video in that certain frame and then delete the solid. I'm not sure how to set keyframes for solids. I am trying to cover text that is in the left margin for a certain frame (set a keyframe for my solid), and then when the text goes away in the animation, set another keyframe for the solid which make it go away.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Quick Question
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wow! You need some basics. Please start here.

Keyframe what? Opacity??? Position??? Why not just set an in and out point for the solid???

Please, look at the basics. AE is NOT an application you can successfully use for anything but wasting time without some study. It is the most powerful desktop compositing and graphics program available at a consumer price. It's capable of doing any of the compositing you've seen in the Hobbit, Spider Man, any feature, but you can't get it to do anything unless you learn the basics. You might as well board the USS Ronald Reagan, climb into the seat of an F-18 and then say to the crew chief "Where's the steering wheel? I want to take this baby for a spin."

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/photo/F-18HARV/Medium/EC87-146-5.jpg

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Quick Question
            Quantum_Effects Level 1

Thanks fot the Answer, I usually just use Maya to render with Vray but wanted to tweak up the animation in After Effects. This is very funny to me because I was an active Navy Pilot. I was trained in Annapolis and flew an F-18.

• 3. Re: Quick Question
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's really funny.

I spent some time on the USS Enterprise shooting recruiting commercials for the Navy in the 70's. We were flying F4's. I know it's really OT but do you still fly? I do as often as I can. Here's some of my flying footage. My C-310 with a fully articulated camera mount I designed on the nose with an Arri SR2. My favorite parts are around 2:30 to 3:30. It was all legal. I had a low level waiver from the parks department and the FAA... Some day I should digitize my own copies of this footage and put up some HD samples. The quality of the series we did for these guys that is available on the net is really lousy.

I hope you enjoy your trip into AE land. If there's anything I can do to help let me know?

• 4. Re: Quick Question
                BenjaminMarkus Level 4

I'd love to see some HD samples.  You can barely tell it's film from the youtube video.