6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 6:44 AM by Richard M Knight

Rotating a video?

media kat Level 1

I somehow shot a video upside down on my phone. Is there a way to rotate the video in CS6 so that it displays the correct way?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Rotating a video?
          jstrawn Adobe Employee

You need to put the clip in a matching sequence, select it, go to the effects control panel, adjust its motion>rotation property 180° and then export it as a new clip. It's not hard but it's not trivial either. Best to avoid shooting that way in the future.

• 2. Re: Rotating a video?
            shooternz Level 6

It will display correctly if you turn your monitor upside down.

• 3. Re: Rotating a video?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I just viewed such, by holding my laptop above my head, and upside down.

Unfortunately, the Audio just dripped out, and ran down my arms.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Rotating a video?
                shooternz Level 6

Apply a Wipe and no problem.

• 5. Re: Rotating a video?
                  jstrawn Adobe Employee

The funny thing is that most people shooting video on phones are also viewing them on phones, so their solution is just that and they often don't even even notice what they did. And just like with photos -- if your output is not limited by orientation (or trivially fixable), are you doing anything wrong by holding the camera sideways or even upside down? In many of these cases they're using their devices exactly as they were intended. The problem, of course, is when they want to go from phone to youtube or whatever...

Years ago, when I worked on consumer apps, we discussed the possibility of an auto-rotate feature but never did it because there's no easy way around re-exporting, and that confused them as much as anything. I beleive some of the consumer apps have started doing it, some of them even using rotated proxies to get around forced re-export.... but I may be mistaken, I haven't been following consumer apps so closely lately. Anyways, it should a a popular consumer featutre if anyone does it right. I think I get about two sideways videos per month from friends wanting me to fix it for them. I tell them, "don't be a sideways video shooter!" but who listens to me?

• 6. Re: Rotating a video?
                    Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's a story, i'm not sure how true, that a 'researcher' for the BBC shot a doco item on a PD170 in portrait mode as they thought it looked better.