12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2013 12:14 AM by Alan Craven

Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD

wesdadude

Hello all,

I am in the process of building a Windows 7 NLE for use with the Adobe Production Premium suite, DaVinci Resolve lite and Blender (potentially 3DS Max later). Most footage will be from Canon DLSRs but I hope to be working with ProRes or CinemaDNG from the Black Magic Cinema Camera in the future.

The proposed spec is

Motherboard

Asus Sabertooth X79

CPU

Intel 3930K

GPU

Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 4GB OC

Raid Controller

Areca Arc 1882i

HDD

5x Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 in raid 3 will likely move to 8 disks in the future. Will be used for media storage.

PSU

Antec 1000W Platinum

CPU Cooler

Corsair H80i

Case

Fractal Designs Define XL R2 Black pearl

I will add a DVD RW drive and a SATA card reader.

I still need to find a 32GB RAM kit to use. The one on the mobo QVL (Corsair CMT32GX3M4X1866C9) seems to be no longer in production and is expensive. Should I use another corsair kit from one of these?

I was planning on using an SSD for the boot drive. But don't know which model to get and what capacity. Is it worth investing in another SSD or even HDD as a separate media cache, exports drive?

I'm not fully settled on the case. It seems to fit my needs of being a minimalist full tower (I'm not into the neons and windows) with >3 optical bays and 8 side loading hot swap HDD bays. I don't want to spend a lot on the case but I'm up to suggestions if there is anything better suited.

I might add a Quadro 600 later for GUI while using the 680 for acceleration in resolve. From what I understand the board has sufficient PCIe slots for this, the 680 and the raid card. Is this correct?

Is there any other suggested changes to be made?
      Cheers,

Wes

• 1. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
          Alan Craven Level 4

GSkil RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (4x8GB) is designed specifically for the X79 motherboard, and works well.  it also has the advantage of a compact package, so there is no problem with headroom for a CPU cooler.

There is also a slightly cheaper (and in the UK more readily available) 8x4GB package which also works well.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I was with you all the way until you threw in that antique Quadro 600.  I cannot figure out why you would possibly want it.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I still need to find a 32GB RAM kit to use. The one on the mobo QVL (Corsair CMT32GX3M4X1866C9) seems to be no longer in production and is expensive. Should I use another corsair kit from one of these?

I second Alan's suggestion about the G.Skill Ripjaws Z series.

I was planning on using an SSD for the boot drive. But don't know which model to get and what capacity. Is it worth investing in another SSD or even HDD as a separate media cache, exports drive?

For an SSD, look at 120 GB Corsair Neutron GTX or 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro for OS & programs. A second SSD now may not be wasted, but if you plan on extending your raid3 array to 8 disks and have upgraded the cache memory on the Areca to 2 or 4 GB, then it may not be worthwhile. With 5 disks in the array, you can expect a transfer rate of around 450-500 MB/s (about equal to one of the mentioned SSD's), with 8 disks in raid3 you can expect around 800 MB/s transfer rate, faster than a single SSD.

I might add a Quadro 600 later for GUI while using the 680 for acceleration in resolve. From what I understand the board has sufficient PCIe slots for this, the 680 and the raid card. Is this correct?

The board has sufficient PCIe slots and lanes to accomodate two video cards and an 8x raid controller. But I don't understand why you would want an outdated and costly Quadro 600 as a second video card. If you really need a Quadro for its 10 bit output, then look at the K600, but if 10 bit output is not relevant, then you may be better off with the much faster GTX 650 Ti Boost as a second card.

Is there any other suggested changes to be made?

It looks good, but maybe have a look at Intro Part 1 that may give you ideas for your build.

• 4. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
                wesdadude Level 1

It's in the Da Vinci Resolve Win Config guide.

Resolve with 2 GPUs is better for work in SD, HD

and 2K in realtime and provides twice the grading

performance of the 1 GPU configuration. It can be

used in 4K with monitoring in 2K or HD in realtime.

The quadro 600 or 4000 can be used for the GUI while the 680 is used as the CUDA GPU. The 600 is a cheap card. This won't likely happen soon but I'm looking at it as an option for later.

• 5. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

A family with 2 cars  is better for mobility,

one for work and one for shopping or outings.

One for the husband and one for the wife.

That does not mean one has to be an antique 40 year old Beetle.

It also does not mean both have to be Porsches.

Quadro without K are like a 40 year old Beetle. Overpriced and underperforming.

• 6. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
                    wesdadude Level 1

Thanks for the fast replies all.

Is there any recomended kits that come in 8GB DIMMs? I want to leave the upgrade options open.

I'm now considering chaning the motherboard to one of the ASUS P9X79 ones to save a bit of coin. What are the main differences between each of them that would aid in my selection?

Thanks again,

Wes

• 7. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
                      wesdadude Level 1

The K likely wasn't available at the time of publishing of the paper (30th August 2012) sorry for my ignorance.

• 8. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
                        Alan Craven Level 4

For your memory requirement, try reading my response to your original post - post #1!

• 9. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

...and the link in post # 3.

• 10. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
                            wesdadude Level 1

Oooops I read that as 4GB modules. I probably shouldn't post when tired.

• 11. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
                              wesdadude Level 1

Would the P9X79 pro be a better motherboard choice? It seems to have better PCIe arangement. Is the TUF components worth the little bit extra?

Alan Craven wrote:

There is also a slightly cheaper (and in the UK more readily available) 8x4GB package which also works well.

Alan, what is this kit? I was considering using the Corsair  CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10 which is 1866mHz and slightly cheaper than the G.Skill.

It looks like I will ordering most of the components from Amazon with the exception of the RAID card which I will get from Areca Direct. I'm located in Australia.

• 12. Re: Proposed 3930K Build – Advice Wanted RAM, SSD
                                Alan Craven Level 4

The 8x4GB kit is the Ripjaws-Z PC3-12800 8x4GB, and the Ripjaws part no for it is F3-12800CL902-32GBZL.

I used a slower set of Corsair memory than the one that you suggest before the Ripjaws was available : CMX16GX3M4A1600C9 - I used 2 4x4GB kits. 

This worked OK once Gigabyte got the BIOS sorted out.  BIOS should not be a problem now as it is a year since the various motherboard manufacturers released BIOS that could cope with the finicky memory controller of the 3930K.