26 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2013 4:24 PM by derekins

$1000 budget for a starter editing rig

derekins

My desktop that I used for editing recently broke down due to old age. Unfortunately I only have a budget of $1000. I am looking to upgrade after 3 months due to tight budget. What starting system do you require for someone who heavily editing HDSLR footages?

• 1. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
          Harm Millaard Level 7

$ 2K or more. Look in the FAQ section.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
            derekins Level 1

No compromise huh? That's sad. I guess, I have to take out a loan.

• 3. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
              RjL190365 Level 4

You might have to, unless you're going to be limiting yourself to tape-based material such as DV or HDV. That's because DSLR material uses extremely difficult codecs, requiring the use of a robust-performing CPU. The i7-3770K is the minimum CPU that I would personally recommend for DSLR footage - but at average street prices, you'd end up spending half of that $1,000 budget just on the CPU and motherboard. 32GB of RAM costs another $200 (or $100 if you have to settle for 16GB). That, plus the cost of a 760W 80 Plus Gold-certified PSU and a large case, will leave you with no room at all whatsoever for a discrete GPU and multiple disks (or even a single OS disk, for that matter). The recommended GPU for this configuration, a GeForce GTX 660 2GB, costs another $200; a 256GB SSD for the OS costs another $225; four 1TB hard drives (Seagate 7200.14 series) cost another $280 (I strongly recommend at least two spinning hard drives - two 1TB drives for around $140 - in addition to the OS drive), and a Blu-ray burner (optional) costs another $100. With four disks plus the OS drive, this minimum recommended configuration would cost you more than $1,800 in total if you insist on the full 32GB of RAM (or more than $1,700 with 16GB of RAM). Even downgrading to an i5-3570K and 16GB of RAM would still not leave you with enough room in that $1,000 budget for a decent GPU and a decent number of disks since everything else in that lower-specced build costs more than $800, leaving you with less than $200 total for the GPU and disks combined.

The compromises that must be made to reach that price point would have left you with a system that would have taken more than 14 to 16 hours just to render 1 hour's worth of DSLR video. This is because with a decently powerful CPU, in order to fit a complete build into that $1,000 budget, you would have to settle for integrated graphics and cramming everything (the OS, programs, media cache, previews, media, projects, pagefile and exports) onto a single disk. Contrast that to the minimum recommended system that I described in the above paragraph, which would take much closer to real-time to perform this same rendering job.

• 4. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                Harm Millaard Level 7

You may have a look at what Bill Gehrke considers an entry level system:

Bill's entry level system.png

Note that this setup uses an older i7-2600K, which is no longer available, but you might try an i7-2700K.

Otherwise you are condemned to an i7-3770K. Also note that the disk setup is absolute bare minimum and for better response times you would need to add a 120 GB SSD for OS & programs.

This setup comes out in the new PPBM6 benchmark test at rank #9 out of 12. See for yourself New PPBM6 Results. Although 2 Samsung 840 Pro SSD's were installed, they were not used in the test results. You have to be registered and logged in to see this page.

As Randall pointed out, the material you want to edit is very demanding and entry level entails long render and export times. It is the basic dilemma everyone faces, what is the ratio between budget and patience that one would find tolerable? Spending less, but waiting longer, or spending more and waiting less?

• 5. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM and scroll down a page or two for 3 price/performance level computers for Premiere Pro... these are, of course, MY ideas about what to build, if I was building a new computer for myself... YOUR ideas may wind up being different

• 6. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Harm Millaard wrote:

You may have a look at what Bill Gehrke considers an entry level system:

Bill's entry level system.png

Note that this setup uses an older i7-2600K, which is no longer available, but you might try an i7-2700K.

I find it interesting that currently at Newegg the i7-2700K is out of stock and deactivated while the i7-2600K is available. Of course either are great chips with lots of overclocking potential.  The test results that Harm linked to on this configuration are without any overclocking.  Also shown in that page are the results of the same system with the two SSD's for the project.

• 7. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Harm,

And if one wants to see just how compromised a $1,100 system really is, one needs to look no further than my "Randall's Mud Rover" PC setup: Although it's currently ranked #7 out of 12 in total time, it ranks #10 out of 12 in Relative Performance Index (RPI) - and that's with an overclock of the CPU from its stock 3.5GHz to 4.3GHz. That system used a single (non-RAID) disk for the media and projects but a two-disk RAID 0 for the exports, and has a significantly weaker GPU than the other 11 systems currently on the PPBM6 list. Had I ran that same PPBM6 test with the CPU at stock speed, it would definitely have ranked last in RPI.

As such, that $1,100 build is quite a bit unbalanced.

• 8. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                        RjL190365 Level 4

In addition to all of what I stated above, I do not recommend going AMD for this build: The fastest-performing of the systems equipped with the new Vishera FX series CPUs, one that's equipped with a six-core FX-6300 (running at its stock speed), performed no faster than a stock-speed quad-core Intel i5 CPU-based system (as shown in the PPBM5 benchmark results list). And even then, it needed to use a GPU that costs more than the CPU to achieve this Q1-class result. (For DSLR material, you will want something that can achieve Q3-class or faster results; the compromised $1,100 build I mentioned in my previous post is only capable of Median-class results.)

• 9. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Randall,

If you are refering to the Studio1Productions entry at rank # 88 out of 158 observations for CS6, also keep in mind that this is by far the fastest AMD system in the benchmark and Dave said to me:

Thanks Harm.  I followed your tips and suggestions tuning up the system, that you have posted on the Adobe Forums.  That made a huge difference from the first time I ran the benchmark on this system.

Best Regards

Dave Knarr

Not everybody can tune his system as well as Dave has done and even with the superb job Dave did, this system is still below median. Your Mud Rover is a good example that the i5-2400 is clearly faster, even despite a weaker video card and only half the memory.

• 10. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                            RjL190365 Level 4

Harm Millaard wrote:

Randall,

If you are refering to the Studio1Productions entry at rank # 88 out of 158 observations for CS6, also keep in mind that this is by far the fastest AMD system in the benchmark and Dave said to me:

Thanks Harm.  I followed your tips and suggestions tuning up the system, that you have posted on the Adobe Forums.  That made a huge difference from the first time I ran the benchmark on this system.

Best Regards

Dave Knarr

Not everybody can tune his system as well as Dave has done and even with the superb job Dave did, this system is still below median. Your Mud Rover is a good example that the i5-2400 is clearly faster, even despite a weaker video card and only half the memory.

Thanks, Harm. I have since upgraded the CPU and RAM in the Mud Rover since it last ran the PPBM5 test with that i5. It's now equipped with the i7-3770K and 16GB of RAM. (My new PPBM6 test results with that system reflect this.) Those two upgrades made the GPU's weaknesses even more evident.

Also, keep in mind that the i5-2400 was overclocked to its maximum allowable quad-core speed of 3.6GHz (the CPU is limited unlocked) when I ran the PPBM5 test. Had I run that same test with the CPU at fully stock speed, it would have fallen below Dave's AMD system in the rankings (with a total time score in PPBM5 that's closer to 370 seconds, versus 348 seconds for that aforementioned AMD system).

• 11. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                              Dave Knarr Level 1

I just wanted to jump in here and say, I will be doing an article on how I setup the FX-6300 system to get the performance I am getting in case anyone is interested.

The one thing about the AMD processor are, they will idle down to 1.4 Ghz when they are not being heavily used.  However, there is a way to disable that in the BIOS on the motherboard I am using and keep them at 3.5 Ghz.  This made a noticiable difference in the benchmark tests, as the CPU doesn't have to keep jumping from 1.4 Ghz up to 3.5 Ghz.

Also, Randall, I didn't need to use the GTX660 card to get good results, I similar results with the GTX 650 Ti Boost.  However, when I ran a regular GTX 650 Ti it was slower and the GPU was running at 100% usage.

I did an update to my article on Video Card and Adobe Premiere showing the new benchmark results using the same computer, but changing out the video cards.  Here is the article:  http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

Dave

• 12. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                RjL190365 Level 4

Thanks, Dave, for the article's front page. I saw the results, and cannot believe that the older GTX 570 underperformed in that AMD six-core rig. And the Quadro 4000 is a waste of money, especially in that rig: It is slower in performance than a GTX 550 Ti.

On the other hand, the law of diminishing returns for that system starts at about the GTX 650 Ti Boost level: With each higher card, the performance increase is progressively lower than the increase in cost; in fact, even the GTX 660 would not have delivered a sufficient performance increase to justify the $40 additional cost over the GTX 650 Ti Boost.

• 13. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                  HBaumgartlinger87

hello friends,

I don't know if it's okay to post my question here in this existing thread but since it's somehow related I thought I should give it a try:

(sorry for any mistakes, English is not my native language)

I'm also looking for hardware to build up a new computer for some editing with Premiere Pro CS6. Until now, I've edited with my (very) old AMD quadcore (4GB RAM) and my i5-MacBook Pro, using Premiere CS6 on both systems. I'm a university student, always on a tight budget. And I'm used to be quite patient with my computer while editing. So please keep this in mind while reading this. I know that most of you consider a budget of ~$1500-$1800 far too cheap to really buy a decent editing computer. But so far, I've managed to edit my videos and pictures on my very old piece of crap computer and still was satisfied with the results. I'd just love to increase my computer's editing performance a little bit and - compared to the old system I'm using now - this should be do-able, even with ~$1500.

My problem is that I know far too less about hardware. I'm struggling to find the right parts to create a balanced system. That's why I'm asking you guys!

I'd like to use the following components: (my max. budget's around $2000)

- Intel Core i7-3770

- Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 256GB

- ASUS GTX660-TI

I've read good things about the ASUS Sabertooth X79 in combination with the GSkil RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL - but this mainboard seems to be a bit overkill for the other parts, right? Like I said, I'm having difficulties with finding the right balance between all the hardware parts. Of course I'd also need a decent power supply.

I'm usually working on rather short videos and projects. That's why I'm doing okay without a fast RAID system.

I've already read quite a bit about this whole subject. Quite a lot of people also recommended cheaper and not so much high-performance parts. They told me it would be better to rather spend ~$1300 than ~$2000 cause I wouldn't be able to spot great performance differencies anyway in this "price range". Do you think that's true?

Here's an example for a low-budget system somebody "arranged" for me: (sorry for the German website, but you should be able to figure out the parts nevertheless)

http://geizhals.at/?cat=WL-171769

And to give you a better idea of what I'm doing with Premiere:

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/schaaf

I'd love to be able to use beginner-friendly plugins like MB Colorista for grading etc. This is something I'm not really able to do now on my old computer. The performance is just too bad. As you can see, I'm working with h.264 coded footage only, coming from my GoPro 2 or Canon EOS 7D.

I'd really appreciate your help!

Best Regards,

Herbert

• 14. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                    RjL190365 Level 4

Herbert,

That build (in the link) could be improved upon:

1) The configurator chose a slow GPU that's as slow as or slower than a comparably priced GPU of the previous generation. In addition, that card might have too little RAM if you're going to graduate to editing multiple layers of HD video.

2) The configurator chose a PSU that leaves almost no room for upgrades. A higher-specced GPU such as the GTX 660 will need at least a 500W to 550W PSU when in combination with an Ivy Bridge CPU.

3) One disk plus the OS disk is the absolute minimum to run Premiere Pro acceptably. I'd strongly recommend adding at least one additional hard disk.

4) Finally, why an LGA 1155 Xeon and an H77 mobo? Xeons cannot be easily overclocked (in fact, the Turbo boost multipliers on Xeons are fully locked, and are not even limited unlocked), while the H77 chipset does not allow CPU overclocking at all.

With all those components (some of which are relatively slow), you will end up with a relatively unbalanced system (too much RAM, too few disks and too weak of a GPU), and may end up with a build that still falls below median in performance when compared to other "balanced" setups on the PPBM5 results list. As such, I'd recommend exchanging the 1GB GTX 650 for the 2GB GTX 650 Ti Boost, upgrading to a 550W PSU (preferably one with an 80 Plus Gold certification) and adding at least one additional hard disk. And if the total comes out to too high for your super-tight budget, downgrade the amount of RAM from 32GB to 16GB. The changes that I am suggesting would bring the overall performance from below median to well within median.

Randall

• 15. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Read post #4 and #6 for a configuration that fits within your budget.

• 16. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                        HBaumgartlinger87 Level 1

Thank you very much for your help, Randall. I've put together my own system now, maybe once again you could take a look at it and help me with the following questions:

- what about the combination of the Ivy-Bridge CPU with an X79 motherboard? Does this make sense or is the X79 board overkill? At least the X79 would definitely be a better base for later upgrades, right?

- In this list, I've chosen the GTX660 Ti as GPU - since this one costs quite a bit more than the 650 Ti Boost I'd love to know if the "editing-performance" is significantly better with the GTX660? (is it worth the additional 100€? (~130$))

-  Is the Corsair RAM any good? Does it "get along well" with the ASUS P9X79?

here's the list: http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=WL-314007

Once more, I'd really appreciate your help!!!

• 17. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

It will never work. X79 is a 2011 platform, the i7-3770K must be mounted on the 1155 platform. The PSU is a bad choice, the case is too small, CPU cooling is missing, extra fans are missing, the video card is overkill with a 3770K.

I repeat, read around here, since it is obvious you don't know about hardware. Either take the time to learn something here, or get a ready-built system.

What you have chosen now resembles car parts for a small town car with an outboard engine and a Formula 1 gearbox.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience, well that comes from bad judgement.
                                          • 18. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig

You are absolutely right, I don't know about hardware. That's why I was asking a lot of questions. But even I do know that I need CPU cooling + additional fans. I didn't include it in my list because I don't need any help/suggestions with it (yet).

I actually did read around here. But I couldn't find answers to my questions.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your first part of your posting. Did learn quite a lot from it

• 19. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                              RjL190365 Level 4

Herbert,

I just looked at your revised list. Unfortunately, the PSU that you selected isn't as good (quality-wise) as some other PSUs in the same wattage range. You also selected an older-generation GPU that's almost as slow as the one in my "Randall's Mud Rover" system in the PPBM6 results list - in fact, it is exactly the same GPU except that it has all 384 CUDA cores enabled (mine had 48 of the cores disabled, for a total of 336 CUDA cores enabled). Finally the choice of case is questionable because even if you add additional cooling fans, it may not provide sufficient airflow for a serious editing system.

Harm:

I know that you like big cases. However, some of the largest cases are actually among the absolute worst in terms of cooling performance - even worse than a totally cramped case with components crammed tightly inside! That's because the large cases in question have their case cooling fans located too far away from the hot-running components to be of much use. In this instance, good case design with proper cooling placement is more important than the sheer size of the case.

Randall

• 20. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                                LancFM104 Level 1

Randall,

I'm not sure that I agree with your comment regarding the negative impact of a large case on cooling.  I believe the purpose of case fans is to ventilate the case and bring down the inside temperature to as close to ambient as possible, not to provide direct air flow across hot components.   The hot components have their own fans, but they need the coolest possible air in the case to work most efficiently.

• 21. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                                  RjL190365 Level 4

LancFM104 wrote:

Randall,

I'm not sure that I agree with your comment regarding the negative impact of a large case on cooling.  I believe the purpose of case fans is to ventilate the case and bring down the inside temperature to as close to ambient as possible, not to provide direct air flow across hot components.   The hot components have their own fans, but they need the coolest possible air in the case to work most efficiently.

As I tried to imply, it's not the size of the case per se; the less-than-optimal fan locations are to blame. In those large cases with relatively poor overall cooling, the hot components aren't getting much if any case airflow whatsoever, resulting in the component area being hotter than it should have been.

Sorry for the confusion.

Randall

• 22. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig

Once more, I'd like to thank you very much for your help. I'm a complete hardware newbie and you guys certainly already helped me a lot.

And I'm not giving up yet. One last time I tried to revise my list. Or let's say I made another one. If it's another hopeless compilation of unsuitable hardware I'll have to find another way to get a new PC. But maybe you could take one last look at it and share your opinion with me:

http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=WL-314054 (yes, the case fans are still missing)

Would this be a balanced system, at least to some extent?

• 23. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

That looks good! Well done.

Properly tuned this system should be around the top 25% performers in the PPBM5 Benchmark if overclocked to around 4.0 GHz.

• 24. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig

Thank you very much for the approval - do you know if the fans, which come already built-in with the Coolermaster case, are good enough? Or should I rather exchange them?

• 25. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Coolermaster is a good brand, you should have no problems with the included case fans

• 26. Re: $1000 budget for a starter editing rig
                                                            derekins Level 1

Thank you for all your replies here. Read all these helpful replies just now. I think I am ready to go up to 1500$ just to go to the bare minimum for now.