4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 4:49 PM by Jim_Simon

How do I set a default directory location for opening projects?

expertiseontap

Hi there.

Using Windows 7. 

What I mean is when I click on Open Project I want it to always go to the same location, namely C:\Users\Julian\Desktop\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\6.0\Projects

Each time I try to open a Project it seems to always go to some other random directory in My Docs.
      I've looked for this in Preferences but cannot locate it.
      Any ideas?

• 1. Re: How do I set a default directory location for opening projects?
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

I just tested the Open Project function, and it appears to default to the location of the last project you had opened.

That said, I don't recommend saving project, or anything associated with your project, on the C: drive.

Adobe recommends a dedicated drive for video editing, and I've always saved my projects and all associated media on that separate drive. Not a big fan of the "My Documents" folders. Sure you can access them from the desktop, to a degree, but when in the Windows Explorer, stuff is buried too many folder down for my tastes. Makes it difficult to locate files later on.

I have a drive V: for video and will create a New Folder there when starting a new project. The Project gets saved there, as well as an video, audio, graphics, etc., and I do create sub-folders to organize those assets as inside the main folder.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 2. Re: How do I set a default directory location for opening projects?
            expertiseontap Level 1

Thanks Jeff. Having tested it a few more times it does now seem to be going to location of last project.  I have no idea why it had been going to other locations in My Docs!

My source video files are stored on an external hard drive but yes, my project files are on C:.   Historically, and for no real reason I've always kept these separate.
            Do you/Adobe say not to store stuff on C: because of the risk of data loss, or is there some other reason?

All my important files on C:  are automatically backed up when saved, to cloud backup (IDrive), including video project files.   The source video files are on a separate hard drive.

• 3. Re: How do I set a default directory location for opening projects?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use 3 hard drives to "spread the workload"

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input source & output export files (1)

(1) for faster input/output if you have 4 drives

- use drive 3 for all source files

- use drive 4 for all output files

(2) only 70Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs

If you ever have space problems on your C drive, read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0

• 4. Re: How do I set a default directory location for opening projects?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Do you/Adobe say not to store stuff on C: because of the risk of data loss, or is there some other reason?

More for performance reasons than anything.