10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2013 9:42 AM by anotherTrishB

Can I create many short rough cuts from one large vob or mts file?

anotherTrishB

If so, how?  I am new to editing and using CS6 Premier Pro and Prelude.

• 1. Re: Can I create many short rough cuts from one large vob or mts file?
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Not sure what you mean - do you want to create "sub-clips" perhaps, or just edit the clip?

If you just put the large clip on the timeline, you can easily chop it up with the Razor tool and delete parts you don't want, and rearrange the smaller parts that remain. Or Mark IN, Mark Out, and Extract. Tools for that are under the Program Monitor or you can use keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks

Jeff

• 2. Re: Can I create many short rough cuts from one large vob or mts file?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Jeff, that more detail on what you want to accomplish, would be so very helpful.

I would have given the same suggestions, that Jeff did: Razor Tool, or In & Out Points in Source Monitor, or use of Trim Monitor. All are viable for "cutting" up larger Clips.

Now, in PrPro, what one sees on the Timeline is but a representative visual of the data from all, or part of the original Video file. One could open that larger file in the Source Monitor, then set the In & Out Points, drag that to the Timeline, move those In & Out Points, and drag to the Timeline, on, and on. While one has segments of that larger file on the Timeline, the larger file is untouched - and only differing Instances of it are on the Timeline.

However, I am not sure that is what you are asking to do.

Please let us know a bit more,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can I create many short rough cuts from one large vob or mts file?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>new to editing and using CS6 Premier Pro

The tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578 may help

• 4. Re: Can I create many short rough cuts from one large vob or mts file?
                anotherTrishB Level 1

thank you bill and safeharbor for getting back to me!  If I am using the razor and in and out, extract I am still working with one huge file, aren't I?  Do I need to transcode in order to make each clip a separate, smaller file?  What I am doing is 2 hour long video interviews.  I am finding turning the recording off and on between questions impractical, so I am trying to do this after the fact with the software.

• 5. Re: Can I create many short rough cuts from one large vob or mts file?
                  jstrawn Adobe Employee

"I would have given the same suggestions, that Jeff did: Razor Tool, or In & Out Points in Source Monitor, or use of Trim Monitor. All are viable for "cutting" up larger Clips."

Me too. There is a way to use prelude to log everything as subclips first and then send it all to ppro, but that may be more than you need in this case. There is no real drawback to imprting the whole clip into the project and working from that. You'll only be exporting the in/out instances that end up itn the timeline. By, "transcode", did you really mean "export"? Or did you shoot in some format that literally needs to be transcoded before you can easily work with it?

• 6. Re: Can I create many short rough cuts from one large vob or mts file?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As JStrawn points out, Importing the full Clip into the Project, but only using what you need from it, where you need it, has no drawbacks. The actual AV file is NOT physically input to the program, in any way. What happens with an Import, in very simple terms, is that PrPro links to that file, where it resides on your system, when you do the Import. There is only a link to that AV file, and that is written into the PRPROJ (the Project file) file in XML language. The file stays where it was, and only a line, or two of code is written. That is why a PRPROJ file is so small, compared to a media file - it's only lines of code, and contains zero media. Even Titles, which ARE included in the PRPROJ file, are but instructions, until one Exports.

The three methods mentioned above are really quite similar, but just reflect a slightly different workflow. I like the Source Monitor and setting the In & Out Points, then just dragging (I guess I mouse more than use keyboard shortcuts) an Instance of that file, now Trimmed, onto my Timeline. There are a few times, when I do use the Razor, but not that often. I seldom use the Trim Monitor w/ it's keyboard shortcuts, but many could not live without that - personal choices.

What one sees on the Timeline are representations of the various segments of that original longer Clip. But they are basically for display - to give the editor a visual to work with. Those Clip Instances do not yet really exist, and are only XML instructions. When one goes to Export the Timeline, PrPro reads those instructions, follows the link to that original file, and extracts the data that it is instructed to use, and essentially copies just THAT data to the new file, that PrPro is outputting. It is at that point, that something new exists, created from the chosen data in that original file, processed through the instructions written to the PRPROJ file.

Now, there ARE some times, where one would want to create Sub-Clips, or even Export the Trimmed Clips as separate, discrete files, but from what I gather, you do not have a need for that, so you can save yourself a couple of steps.

One possible use would be if one is hardpressed for HDD space, and they wished to actually cut up the long file, Export to individual files, and then Delete that original file. However, and even there, one could use the above techniques to edit the long file, and Export that edited version as a separate file, then Deleting that original longer file. Caveat - if one does that, then that Project is basically "done," as the Imported media file, the original long one, would no longer exist, as it has been Deleted.

Good luck, and hope this helps,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can I create many short rough cuts from one large vob or mts file?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I am doing is 2 hour long video interviews.

Use Markers instead of cutting it up.

• 8. Re: Can I create many short rough cuts from one large vob or mts file?
                        anotherTrishB Level 1

thank you for all the informative feedback and help!!!!

• 9. Re: Can I create many short rough cuts from one large vob or mts file?
                          anotherTrishB Level 1

thank you for taking the time to help me!!!!

• 10. Re: Can I create many short rough cuts from one large vob or mts file?
                            anotherTrishB Level 1

thank you for taking the time to help me!!!!