9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2013 9:59 AM by johnclford

DVD menu in Encore from DVD markers in timeline

johnclford

How can I use the DVD markers on the timeline in Premiere Pro (thus also in Encore) to build a DVD menu in Encore. In premiere pro 2 where the DVD authoring was included the DVD markers automatically presented themselves as a DVD menu.

• 1. Re: DVD menu in Encore from DVD markers in timeline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not sure that I am following you, but in Encore, one adds the necessary Menus (Main, and if needed Scene Selection) manually. The Chapter Markers allow one to link Buttons, from those Menus to them. Is that what you mean by the following"

to build a DVD menu in Encore.

PrPro 2.0 allowed some simple and semi-automated navigation construction. Encore is basically a manual authoring program, but allows far, far more power, than PrPro 2.0 ever did.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: DVD menu in Encore from DVD markers in timeline
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no option like that now. But the Menu -> Create Chapter Index gets pretty close if you use on of the library "submenu" options.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WS185296FB-D1BB-4d52-ABC4-316DF795FD05.html

• 3. Re: DVD menu in Encore from DVD markers in timeline
              johnclford Level 1

Thanks Bill. I can build a menu and video butons from the library in Encore. However I cannot get more than one scene in the menu. From all the information I have consulted it appears I may have to separate the timeline into different sequences for each scene. At present it is all one sequence with DVD (chapter) markers at each scene change. To convert to one sequence for each scene means starting from scratch as all the editting will be lost unles I am missing something (which at present appears likely). I would appreciate your help.

• 4. Re: DVD menu in Encore from DVD markers in timeline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I edit most Projects into "scenes" or "chapters," on separate Sequences. In Encore, I usually have one En Timeline per Sequence, or Chapter. However, one CAN have one long Timeline, where the Chapters are deliniated via Markers.

When you say "I cannot get more than one scene in the menu." I am not sure that I am following you. You should be able to have 16, or 32 (depends on the Aspect Ratio of the Menu) Buttons, per Menu (total Buttons), and each linked to a Chapter in your Encore Timeline. What exactly is happening, when you try to link your Buttons to the Chapters?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, as I do not think that you will need to re-do your Project in PrPro, or probably not even in Encore.

Hunt

• 5. Re: DVD menu in Encore from DVD markers in timeline
                  johnclford Level 1

Many thanks for your patience. When I try to link (drag and drop) a chapter marker from the timeline into the menu area (orphan or flow chart), after I have selected a menu and buttons from the library, it simply reverts to the sequence 1. If I try to add another chapter marker it replaces the first. So all I can achieve is one scene in the menu which in effect is the whole of sequence one (the whole of the timeline). I realize that if I separate the scenes into independant sequences I can use each seqence as a scene in the menu. If that is what I have to do then so be it, but I was hoping for a simpler solution. Your experience is very welcome and your advice even more so. You do say I "can have one long timeline, where the chapters are delineated via markers". This is my situation but I cannot make it work. Can you guide me please?

• 6. Re: DVD menu in Encore from DVD markers in timeline
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Though this is starting to get squarely in the wheelhouse of the Encore Forum, let's try this.

Do not drag/drop a Marker. Open you Menu in the Title Editor Panel (Dbl-click on it in the Project Panel). There, you can link your Buttons to to the Chapter with the Pickwhip (little spiral icon), located in the Properties Panel, at Link.

Hope that helps, If not, maybe a MOD can Branch this to the Encore Forum, which is very good, and very active.

Hunt

• 7. Re: DVD menu in Encore from DVD markers in timeline
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      When I try to link (drag and drop) a chapter marker from the timeline into the menu area (orphan or flow chart), after I have selected a menu and buttons from the library, it simply reverts to the sequence 1. If I try to add another chapter marker it replaces the first.

Follow Bill's directions. I'll  just say that I have no problem doing what you describe and getting multiple buttons and chapters. The only way I can approximate what you describe is to drag to the same button.

• 8. Re: DVD menu in Encore from DVD markers in timeline
                        johnclford Level 1

Bill (Hunt) and Stan many thanks for very helpful inputs. I am still having some trouble following your suggestions (I guess I am not experienced enough) but at least I have something to work on and so far it looks promising. I need to spend more time, more sweat and tears, but I believe I will now make it. Thanks once again, this is an incredible forum.

• 9. Re: DVD menu in Encore from DVD markers in timeline
                          johnclford Level 1

Hi Bill, with a bit more work and some experiments I can now follow your directions and thus use markers on the timeline to link scene buttons to chapters. Thank-you so much for your time, patience and expertise to help a novice, I am truly grateful and could not find this information anywhere else.

johnclford