6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2014 12:31 AM by Silkrooster RSS

How to copy a graph from PowerPoint to Illustrator?

UAB Kim0591 Community Member

I've used earlier version of Adove Illustrator without any problem, but once I start trying CS6, I cannot copy a graph that I inserted from GraphPad to Microsoft PowerPoint. I converted GraphPad file from version 6 to version 5 and then some of file can be copied & pasted to Illustrator Artboard. Most of them cannot be copied properly. It shows only axis title with empty box way far away from Artboard.  Can anyone has seen same problem to this?

Please, help me!!!

• 1. Re: How to copy a graph from PowerPoint to Illustrator?
          Silkrooster MVP

Lately I have been finding that copy/pasting between microsoft and adobe apps are bitmapped instead of vector paths. The only solution I have found so far is to export to a file, pdf seams to work just fine, but I don't recall if powerpoint supports pdf or not, but if you have acrobat installed, then it it should be available.

• 2. Re: How to copy a graph from PowerPoint to Illustrator?
            UAB Kim0591 Community Member

Thank you for responding my quetion.

I finally figured it out after trying this and that.

The new version of Illustrator CS6 is different from the earlier version in terms of file type recognition. The earlier version of Illustrator can copy anything into Artboard, but this new version need export vector file as a window metafile (WMF), enhanced metafile (EMF), or enhanced metafile plus (EMF +) from the original software (if this option is available) to PowerPoint, and then it can be copied to Illustrator CS6 Artboard that recognize this exported graph as a vector file, not an image file so that you can edit individual line and dots as usual in the earlier version.

It works beautifully!

I hope this could help one has same problem to me.

Best,

• 3. Re: How to copy a graph from PowerPoint to Illustrator?
              Mike Gondek2 MVP

I was able to copy from powerpoint 2008 on mac and paste into AICS6 mac. I get vector graphs when the graphs have shading limited to a gradient, but get bitmapped graphs on the 2nd tubular one for example below. The default font calibri also give me !#$, btu that is fixed by changing the font in powerpoint.

Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 2.15.22 PM.png

I do not get to work much with graphs, but wanted to add what I found incase this post helps anyone.

• 4. Re: How to copy a graph from PowerPoint to Illustrator?
                kan_gou_lai Community Member

Thank you for this solution, it works greatly

• 5. Re: How to copy a graph from PowerPoint to Illustrator?
                  Silkrooster MVP

Boy this is an old thread. Somehow I missed the replies. 1 count go to the new forum software for making it easier to see post that have been replied to.

Anyway, with the latest version of office it supports pdf, so the vector options may have improved. I am going to have to test it and see how it fairs. Hopefully making my last post moot.

• 6. Re: How to copy a graph from PowerPoint to Illustrator?
                    Silkrooster MVP

Update:

Microsoft office 365 works better now. The graphs are from excel when created inside of power point. When copied and paste into illustrator it now comes in as true vector shapes with live text. The entire graph is grouped and has a clipping path. Neither of these are really needed but are there just the same. I also see additional objects I assume to be white objects, which tend to be hidden from view until you move one of the objects. This will put the white above the other objects color so it can be seen, since the background in illustrator by default is white (though is really transparent).

So if anyone was thinking of updating office, this may be a good reason to do so, now that we can have better graphs inside of illustrator.

I also did a quick text of copy/pasting an excel sheet into illustrator. The text come in as live text, the background for the sheet did end up on top, which may have had to do with it having no color. The cells that did have color came in as rectangles as one would expect. The cells with no color came in with lines separating the cells.

Off hand with the little I played with the latest office, it seams to be much better, I still have not tested how well the fonts port over, they should be fine, but I recall older versions of office did have an issue with the fonts.

I hope this update helps someone.