8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2013 4:14 PM by Netcommercial

Shooting a TV series ?

Netcommercial Level 1

Hi all thanks for looking in. I wanted to get some input on what is the preferred format for TV (USA) ?  I did some digging and the most intelligent post I found was from J.Simon. Where he went on to discuss about 30 60 and 24 ultimately stating that to shoot as close to what you are going to output to. Hence my question.

I have a Producer who wants to shoot a series. Which will be either for DVD or TV release. Wanting to be safe, what format should I have my camera shooting in? I was thinking HD 1080 16:9 60i. I would think this would give me the best latteral in editing. I selected that format, because I use Canons and my format choices are 30i 60i 24p... and 4:3 went out with the brief case cell phones.

Your thoughts and why please?

Regards

NC

• 1. Re: Shooting a TV series ?
          SFL46 Level 3

"....and 4.3 went out with brief case....

You want to do a little more searching on the site.  there was a previou sthread on this.

Watch a network TV show.  Where does the network or local station logo appear?  Yep, on the boundaries of a 4:3.

It is my understanding that TV stations may require you to use safe margins more appropriate for 4:3.  Since this may be the case, you will want to frame your shots with that in mind., even if they are 16:9

• 2. Re: Shooting a TV series ?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

That is a good point. With TV material, most stations and networks understand that there ARE still some 4:3 TV's out there. At some point, they may have gone the way of the 8" circular TV screen, but until they do, those viewers have to be considered, or a decision has to be made to just exclude them from all material.

Also, with some news gathering organizations, there is still some 4:3 footage being recorded, and though a network might be presenting most material in 16:9 HD, they have to handle a bit of 4:3.

It will change, but until everyone has replaced their 4:3 CRT TV's with HD 16:9, they have to be considered.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Shooting a TV series ?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I think 1080p/24 is the best option for most scripted productions.  For starters, the film look of 24p is just...better.  Secondly, 24p can easily be 'converted' to 30i or 60p for broadcast, whereas it's much more difficult to go the other way.  Third, 24p can allow for a better image on disk (fewer frames per second means each frame gets more bits).

The larger issue, I think, will be not what format to use, but what cameras.  Seems that Canon doesn't like genuine 24p and instead records to PsF, which seems to be giving PP some trouble.

• 4. Re: Shooting a TV series ?
                Netcommercial Level 1

Hi All thanks for your input. Yes I realize the "safe zones" for station bugs etc... I am not worried about that, as their crew can park that where they choose. Granted they use a 4:3 aspect for Aunt Gladdis T.V in the Ozarks. ( I say update casualty)

However I wanted to know as J Simon referred too. Yet, the thing with 24p at least with Canon, it does give it that cinematic look, sometimes not applicable to certain themes. However if you think 24p is the way to shoot it, and this will give me the lateral if asked to go one way or another by the final purchaser of the series then, I will go that direction.

I thought to use 60i due to being able to add any filter desired, as opposed to 24p seems to have a cinematic filter when previewing. I want to be able to have the most lateral (in editing for marketing) However I thought frame rate would be an issue with TV Broadcast. This would be my first run at producing for TV. with DVD as a back-up if no buyers for it. Hence the questsion about frame rate.

I have had no probs with CS6 and 60 or 30 thus far. FWIW

Thanks again

NC

• 5. Re: Shooting a TV series ?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I thought to use 60i due to being able to add any filter desired

How do you define 'filter' in that statement?

• 6. Re: Shooting a TV series ?
                    Netcommercial Level 1

I was referring to a Panavision / Soap Opera softened look 24 gives opposed to 30 or 60...Have you ever noticed the look I am referring to?

• 7. Re: Shooting a TV series ?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Well...it's more often referred to simply as the 'film look', meaning the familiar look of film, which is shot at 24 fps, as opposed to the look of video shot at 30i.  That 'film look' is, in my view, much more 'professional' and appropriate for a scripted series.

You didn't mention if your idea would be scripted or 'reality', though.  So that will make a difference.

• 8. Re: Shooting a TV series ?
                        Netcommercial Level 1

So that is why you recommended 24 over 30 or 60? Due to preference of Final "film" look?  I have some cool tricks I use to enrich Digital. I am sure you are aware of triple layer, blur, etc.. I am more concerened with the Station  Format. However it seems all will suffice it will be just a matter of preference. No format issues, such as frame rate etc...

I too like to shoot in 24 for scripted, and then if I break away for a "live news shot" I move over to crisper 60 for a different  lens aspect for the viewer or to make it 'feel' like it is a TV broadcast or a "breaking news" segment.  I make movies, have  a variety show on youtube I publish every 3 weeks. (Yet those are computer genre or burned to DVD/Bluray) However I was unsure about TV broadcast. If there was a preferred format or anything I need to be aware of.  Thanks for your advice on this. I did not think so, but wanted to make sure. Some of you guys work on TV already hence me asking over here.

Regards

NC