3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2013 4:37 AM by Mark Sand RSS

Delete part of shape/layer

jvels

Hi

I have this in Elements 11:

adobe_el.png

I would like to delete/remove the part of layer/shape 10 there outside of layer/shape9. How do I do that?

Best Regards

Jesper Vels

• 1. Re: Delete part of shape/layer
          99jon CommunityMVP

Probably easiest to make a selection around the green area and press Ctrl+J to place it on its own transparent layer.

You can then switch off the layers below by clicking on the eye symbols as required.

adobe_el.png

EDIT

I should have said if it’s almost your final deign it is easiest to work on a flattened image re-saved under a new file name (Layer >> Flatten Image) and then make your selection.

If you intend to make further design changes then you should try a layer mask on layer 10 and paint out the unwanted area with a brush and foreground color set to black. You can switch to white, to correct, if you make a mistake.

• 2. Re: Delete part of shape/layer
            R_Kelly Community Member

Perhaps loading a selection of Shape 9 and then adding a layer mask to Shape 10 would work.

(Ctrl click on the layer Shape 9 layer thumbnail in the layers panel to get the selection)

Also, if you move the Shape 9 layer below the shape 10 layer and create a clipping mask, that might work as well.

(after moving shape 9, make shape 10 the active layer and press Ctrl+G to create the clipping mask)

(from the menu Layer>Create Clipping Mask)

• 3. Re: Delete part of shape/layer
              Mark Sand Community Member

Ctrl-click Shape 9 in the Layers Palette to select just the shape.

Invert the selection.

Activate Shape 10 and delete the selection.