2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2013 12:47 PM by Evil Lair

InDesign CS: How do I insert spine...

Ger508

How do I insert spine between existing Masters A1 and A2. I've completed the artwork and want to avoid entirely new start. It's a 5.7p spine for a 37 page book. I get message: Specified margin and column set up does not fit within specified page size. Also, should the fraction read as 5p7? Thanks.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS: How do I insert spine...
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There are many ways to approach making a cover, and it won't hurt to talk to the printer. In most cases the cover is submitted as a separate file (and that file woould include the inside cover as well if there is anything printed on the inside) if there is a spine or if the printing will be done on different paper stock.

If you already know the spine dimension, I personally prefer to set  up a non-facing document withthe page size set to the trim height of the cover and the combined width of the front , back and spine, and add a bleed allowance. I then set two columns with 0 margins and set the gutter between columns equal to the spine. This divides the page into back cover, spine, and front cover areas with the guides.

If you don't know the spine dimension, you can set up a three-page spread (turn off shuffling in the Pages panel menu), and then use the Page tool to change the size of the middle page to what you think is correct for the spine. You can revisit this page and change the dimensions when you know for sure.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS: How do I insert spine...
            Evil Lair Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

If you already know the spine dimension, I personally prefer to set  up a non-facing document withthe page size set to the trim height of the cover and the combined width of the front , back and spine, and add a bleed allowance. I then set two columns with 0 margins and set the gutter between columns equal to the spine. This divides the page into back cover, spine, and front cover areas with the guides.

This is exactly what I do as well. Unless your front and back covers are being printed separately for some reason, covers are usually printed as one sheet and setting up your document the same makes designing and printing much easier. The only annoyance is having to manually add safe-margin guides next to the spine columns, and if you need spine fold marks you'll have to add those manually as well outside the bleed.